Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 02:57:30 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 821 822 [823] 824 825 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1769869 times)
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12330 on: July 30, 2013, 03:08:03 PM »

Vittorio De Sica: The Frank Capra of Italy.
Agreed on Mirace in Milan. But with a decent understanding of both directors: Bicycle Thieves, Umberto D, Shoeshine, and The Children Are Watching Us are all very far from Capra-esque.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #12331 on: July 30, 2013, 06:08:51 PM »

Hell's Half Acre (1954) Tiki Noir, 8/10 review of new Olive DVD here: http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=10969.msg151575#msg151575

« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 06:10:06 PM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12332 on: July 31, 2013, 09:25:31 AM »

Game of Thrones: Season 1 - 6/10
Really not that impressive. Decent entertainment. HBO's Boardwalk Empire is the far superior series.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12333 on: July 31, 2013, 11:08:24 AM »

I don't get the fuz about GoT. They've got a fantasy universe, knights, monsters, and every scene, even when it involves a full army walking in the background, is the regular "Why did you cheat on me?/I don't wanna discuss with my mother/we were best friends/and the like" dialogue that we get in ANY tv show from Mad Men to Sex In The City, from Dexter to True Blood. What's the point is spending that much money on a Dungeons & Dragons universe to just do a very very regular tv show?

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #12334 on: July 31, 2013, 12:04:41 PM »

I'm not a big fan either. It's like The Bold and The Beautiful in Middle Earth. Not adult enough to seriously engage me and not enough of a fun adventure to please the thirteen-year-old inside me.

Cries and Whispers (1972) - 8/10
I had hard time rating this. For the most part it was interesting but not engaging. But then in the last five minutes I found myself crying, as if I were experiencing the whole film at once. Weird shit.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12335 on: July 31, 2013, 12:36:43 PM »

I don't get the fuz about GoT. They've got a fantasy universe, knights, monsters, and every scene, even when it involves a full army walking in the background, is the regular "Why did you cheat on me?/I don't wanna discuss with my mother/we were best friends/and the like" dialogue that we get in ANY tv show from Mad Men to Sex In The City, from Dexter to True Blood. What's the point is spending that much money on a Dungeons & Dragons universe to just do a very very regular tv show?

I watched the first 2 seasons, and I watched them quick.

GoT is very entertaining, but it is not as great as The Sopranos and Mad Men often are, which tend sometimes to transcend their stuff. But it is much better than True Blood, which is pretty superficial.

GoT is too obvious a filmed book.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 12:38:03 PM by stanton » Logged

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12336 on: July 31, 2013, 01:51:39 PM »

The worst thing about GoT is that it's addictive. Not-so-good and addictive: makes you feel like a moron.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12337 on: July 31, 2013, 03:23:41 PM »

The worst thing about GoT is that it's addictive. Not-so-good and addictive: makes you feel like a moron.

But making one addictive is a sign of quality. I couldn't stop watching GoT either, and I immediately wanted to go on after the final of the 2nd season. It is well acted and good enough directed. Being a writers series it is no wonder that some dialogues are very strong, but it has its share of dramatical flaws too. The 2nd season wasn't an improvement of the first one, instead some narrative problems became visible.

Apart from Mad Men and The Sopranos of those modern HBO type of TV series I have seen also Rome, Deadwood and Breaking Bad are preferable.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12338 on: July 31, 2013, 06:40:40 PM »

Game of Thrones: Season 1 - 6/10
Really not that impressive. Decent entertainment. HBO's Boardwalk Empire is the far superior series.

Boardwalk Empire must have improved drastically since it's first season.

Saturday nights with Groggy
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12339 on: July 31, 2013, 11:54:27 PM »

But making one addictive is a sign of quality.
I wouldn't say so. Soap operas can be addictive and I wouldn't call them quality TV. In my eyes, GoT is a soap opera.

But just to make it clear: I'd rate the show around 7.5/10 maybe 8/10. So it's not total bullshit. It just makes me feel dumb every time I watch it.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #12340 on: August 01, 2013, 01:35:04 AM »

Raging Bull (1980) 10/10 (second viewing, first on blu-ray)

There are some classics that I don't think are all that great the first time around, but the second time I watch it, I love it and agree that it's a great movie, and this is one of them.
First time around, I guess I was just too disgusted by Jake LaMotta, couldn't stand him, there are some sexual scenes that are uncomfortable to watch, he just grossed me out in every way and I couldn't stand him - which, of course, is the whole point of the movie. It's not like I can't love a movie with a despicable lead character (eg. I love the Cagney gangster movies), but in this case some of it was disgusting and some of the sexual scenes are really uncomfortable to watch. But this second time around, I knew what a douche he was and that there were some nasty scenes so it was less shocking, and not that I has an iota of sympathy for LaMotta this time around either   I could just sit back and laugh and enjoy it for what it was. And indeed, this is a really great movie. I would not put this in my top 10 as many people do, but I'd definitely call it a great movie.
DeNiro's performance is legendary. And Moriarty is amazing as Vicky, and IMO, Joe Pesci delivers his greatest performance here. Pesci may be more famous for his role in Goodfellas (or more specifically, for one scene in Goodfellas), but I think his best performance is in Raging Bull).
And that scene with the broken TV is hilarious  Grin

« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 01:36:14 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12341 on: August 01, 2013, 01:57:00 AM »

I wouldn't say so. Soap operas can be addictive and I wouldn't call them quality TV. In my eyes, GoT is a soap opera.

But just to make it clear: I'd rate the show around 7.5/10 maybe 8/10. So it's not total bullshit. It just makes me feel dumb every time I watch it.

But that's a high rating for film you don't like that much.

To make me addictive a series must have quality. Quality is a major point for entertainment.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12342 on: August 01, 2013, 02:46:10 AM »

I'd rate it somwhere between 6 and 7 (I give it a 6 now and I know I'd give it a 7 after a few more episodes because like MS says, it's far from being garbage and it's probably addictive) but here is the trick:

7 is enough to make me watch twice a movie (ie spend 2 hours a couple times over the course of a few years).
However, it's not enough to justify watching a whole season (8 to 10 hours for GoT, in a couple months).

It's also not enough to justify the buzz following every new episode if you ask me, but I can live with that: it's still decent entertainment.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 02:49:15 AM by noodles_leone » Logged

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12343 on: August 02, 2013, 07:17:55 AM »

Five Easy Pieces - 9/10 - Easily Jack Nicholson's best performance. The rest of the film's pretty good, too.

Separate Tables - 8/10 - Another good Terence Rattigan adaptation. Opened up enough to give the story pacing and rhythm; it helps too that the source material's one of Rattigan's best. The main appeal is the all-star cast, with David Niven, Wendy Hiller and Deborah Kerr doing stellar work.

Saturday nights with Groggy
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #12344 on: August 02, 2013, 03:23:47 PM »

Five Easy Pieces - 9/10 - Easily Jack Nicholson's best performance. The rest of the film's pretty good, too.

Yeah it's a terrific movie; I gave it the same rating.

I love how -- SPOILER ALERT -- in that scene where he finally speaks to his father, he can barely get any words out before he bursts out crying and can't even finish. It would have been so easy to have a long shmaltzy deathbed speech  but this one was so much more real. And the ending was just unbelievable. What a movie!

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Pages: 1 ... 821 822 [823] 824 825 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM