Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2017, 01:55:41 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 828 829 [830] 831 832 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1770656 times)
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12435 on: September 03, 2013, 02:41:51 PM »

ELYSIUM 3/10

I really really loved the first half of District 9, so this one came as a big disappointment. It's just generic scifi full of generic action. There is no script: the storyline is nothing but a series of coincidences and logical aberrations. You can like or hate Avatar, Oblivion and Prometheus, but at least they presented us coherent universes with a real background and credible technology. None of this is to be found in Elysium. Why isn't it a 0/10?
- Pretty well shot (although not very well edited) +1
- The immigration policies metaphor works here and there (although showed in a very simplistic way) +1
- Matt Damon being good +1

THE WORLD'S END 8/10

Until then, Edgar Wright was always topping himself, but I'd rank TWE just between Shaun Of The Dead and Hot Fuzz. It has all the "best comedy of the decade" characteristics that could be found in Wright's previous work, but the flaws seem more present here. To name a few: corny emotion scenes, too long action ending, list-based dramaturgy (12 pubs, 7 evil exes...).
Still, all of Wright's movies have greatly improved upon repetitive viewings so this is a temporary rating.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #12436 on: September 04, 2013, 09:40:37 AM »

The Long Wait (1954) Spillane story, Anthony Quinn, first watch interesting. 7/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #12437 on: September 04, 2013, 12:32:05 PM »

Days of Being Wild (1990) - 8/10
Second viewing, first on 35mm film (very good print, rather small screen).

"The Lady with the Dog" / Dama s sobachkoy (1960) - 8/10
Second viewing, first on 35mm film (a pretty good print considering the age). A romance based on Chekhov's short story. The story in its whole complexity: A married man and a married woman fall in love and try to cope with it. Hammy at the worst, breathtaking at the best. Awesome score, especially the lovers' theme - check it out if you can find it somewhere (I couldn't).

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #12438 on: September 04, 2013, 12:59:36 PM »

The Long Wait (1954) Spillane story, Anthony Quinn, first watch interesting. 7/10
w/ Peggie Castle! Hubba-hubba!

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12439 on: September 04, 2013, 01:00:56 PM »

"The Lady with the Dog" / Dama s sobachkoy (1960) - 8/10
Second viewing, first on 35mm film (a pretty good print considering the age). A romance based on Chekhov's short story. The story in its whole complexity: A married man and a married woman fall in love and try to cope with it. Hammy at the worst, breathtaking at the best. Awesome score, especially the lovers' theme - check it out if you can find it somewhere (I couldn't).
Lucky you! I have the U.S. DVD. I agree with your score.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12440 on: September 05, 2013, 10:13:25 AM »

Morrissey 25: Live (2013) - A filmed record of the March 2, 2013 concert given by Mozzer at Hollywood High. Nicely filmed and edited, it looks great in 4K. Probably of interest only to fans, and even I (a kinda, sorta fan) was a little disappointed by the song selection. To my mind, a performance with a better set list--and a much more attractive audience--can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOzodBqF6jI

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12441 on: September 07, 2013, 04:08:32 PM »

Charley Varrick - 8/10 - Good thriller that, if nothing else, proves that Joe Don Baker can be taken seriously.

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12442 on: September 07, 2013, 06:56:25 PM »

Le dernier metro (1980) - 9/10. Truffaut's smart film about French theater during the Occupation. Too bad about the tacky sets, but Catherine Deneuve, the most beautiful woman in the world (at the time of filming), is a real pleasure to watch.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #12443 on: September 07, 2013, 08:34:08 PM »

Le dernier metro (1980) - 9/10. Truffaut's smart film about French theater during the Occupation. Too bad about the tacky sets, but Catherine Deneuve, the most beautiful woman in the world (at the time of filming), is a real pleasure to watch.

(I don't think Deneuve was that hot, but that's in the eyes of the beholder.) IMO the best thing about the look/color of this movie is Deneuve's bright red lipstick. You have these mostly dark colors, everything is indoors in this dark theater or cellar, and then that bright red lipstick, such a great use of color.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12444 on: September 08, 2013, 12:02:25 AM »

Inchon - 2/10 - Hard to say what's worse about this movie. The incoherent battle scenes? Laurence Olivier playing Douglas MacArthur as a mixture of W.C. Fields and Boris Karloff's Mummy? Jacqueline Bissett complaining about traffic while North Korean planes strafe her car? Anticommunist agitprop that makes Red Dawn look subtle? Being produced by the Moonies? Yeah, this one's exactly as bad as they say.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12445 on: September 08, 2013, 05:00:40 PM »

Inchon - 2/10 -  Laurence Olivier playing Douglas MacArthur as a mixture of W.C. Fields and Boris Karloff's Mummy?
Grin Grin Grin

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12446 on: September 08, 2013, 07:34:04 PM »

Three films today, all good ones.

Pork Chop Hill - 8/10 - 2nd viewing. A gritty, unsparing portrayal of the Korean conflict. The movie works flawlessly focusing on the travails of Gregory Peck's platoon slugging their way through Chinese entrenchments. Its digressions into politics and speechmaking are annoying, but relatively brief.

Western Union - 8/10 - Fritz Lang's second Western replaces the stock building-the-railroad plot with telegraph lines. Chock full of cliches but you don't really care: beautiful photography and stylish action scenes give it a kick. Randolph Scott comes into his own as Western lead, (figuratively) blowing nominal star Robert Young off the screen.

The Beguiled - 8/10 - Clint Eastwood plays a Yankee deserter taken in by a Southern girl's school. Mind games and sexual tension ensue. Plays like Tennessee Williams meets Pasolini's Teorema, an oddly artsy film for Don Siegel. Despite some overripe passages it works as lurid melodrama, with Clint showing more acting range than anything else he's done (save perhaps Unforgiven) and Geraldine Page a frightening antagonist.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 07:12:25 PM by Groggy » Logged

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12447 on: September 08, 2013, 11:28:51 PM »

The Beguiled - 8/10 - Clint Eastwood plays a Yankee deserter taken in by a Southern girl's school. Mind games and sexual tension ensue. Plays like Tennessee Williams meets Pasolini's Teorema, an oddly artsy film for Don Siegel. Despite some overripe passages it works as lurid melodrama, with Clint showing more acting range than anything else he's done (save perhaps Unforgiven) and Geraldine James a frightening antagonist.

speaking of Eastwood, here is the latest tabloid gossip
 http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/gossip/clint-eastwood-dating-ex-wife-dina-eastwood-new-beau-report-article-1.1445473

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12448 on: September 10, 2013, 07:45:02 AM »

1. Middle of the Night (1959) 7/10

The story of Breezy (1973), the third movie Clint Eastwood directed, is a ripoff of Middle of the Night.

2. The Naked Kiss (1964) 8/10

« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 07:20:46 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12449 on: September 11, 2013, 07:18:40 AM »

Dangerous Crossing (1953) 5/10

I love Jeanne Crain. She is the only good thing about this dumb movie with a laughably ridiculous Rube Goldberg scheme.

Pages: 1 ... 828 829 [830] 831 832 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM