Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2017, 01:14:26 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 829 830 [831] 832 833 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1763830 times)
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12450 on: September 11, 2013, 04:05:26 PM »

and Geraldine James a frightening antagonist.

Who is Geraldine James?

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12451 on: September 11, 2013, 07:12:35 PM »

Yo mama.

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #12452 on: September 12, 2013, 01:40:35 PM »

The Tarnished Angels (1957) - The story is from hunger (Faulkner's), nobody seems able to act, and the film never convincingly puts over its 1931 setting, but damn--every frame of this black & white Cinemascope production is a work of art. Sirk knew how to get value for his budget, and the new Region B Blu-ray really shows that. Now we need every re-mastered still bound together in a flip-book. Film: 8/10. Transfer: 10/10.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #12453 on: September 12, 2013, 02:04:46 PM »

Madame de . . . (1953) Max Ophuls. A woman pawns a pair of earrings, a wedding gift from her husband, and they keep coming back to her. Each time the earrings gain significance, until by the end of the film they are literally religious icons. This is a film in which the tragic lovers end up dying for Love—but not necessarily for love of each other. Ophuls, famous for his moving camera, actually gets it to waltz with his characters here. Plot, performances, mise-en-scene: all first-rate. Surely, this is Ophul’s masterpiece. 5/5

I just saw The Earrings of Madame de.... Ophuls is just a joy to watch. This is the second of his movies I have seen – the first was Letter from an Unknown Woman – and what a pleasure it is to watch Ophuls's camera. I know that, as DJ believes, TEOMD is considered Ophuls's masterpiece, but I actually prefer LFAUW. Maybe it's because I just love Joan Fontaine. The story of TEOMD didn't interest me as much, but hey, who cares about story when watching Ophuls's camera move is like watching Picasso's paintbrush move across a canvas! I've always loved a camera that moves.
 The acting was also terrific, by Boyer, Darrieux, and De Sica.I'd give TEOMD a 9/10

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12454 on: September 13, 2013, 09:51:37 PM »

Chicken With Plums - 6/10 - The creators of Persepolis try to translate their visual style to live action, in this story of an Iranian musician driven to suicide after losing his prized violin. There's no complaints on an aesthetic level: it's a ravishing movie to watch, with a pleasant cast and whimsical musical score. But between the unfocused, facile narrative and forced whimsy, it mainly feels like a poor man's Amelie.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #12455 on: September 14, 2013, 03:40:06 PM »

Manhandled (1949). An ensemble noir that can't decide if its serious or a comedy. Its got Hayden running around in the first half always in a disheveled state, shirt un-tucked, no tie, etc., its got a running gag about the Detective Lt., Art Smith's car having bad brakes, and another sequence where Art having taken sleeping pills appears to look drunk. Duryea is his slimy best but its not enough to save this 6/10.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12456 on: September 14, 2013, 07:05:47 PM »

Lee Daniels' The Butler - 6/10 - About you'd expect from the trailers/previews: sanctimonious, saccharine Oscar bait. Forest Whittaker's struggles with his family are predictable but well-done; Oprah Winfrey's quite good. The few scenes that directly confront the Civil Rights Era (especially the Klan attack on the Freedom Riders) work reasonably well. But too much of the movie reverts to familiar historical cliches, playing like a poor man's Forrest Gump. Of course we meet LBJ sitting on a toilet while yanking on his beagle's ears! Who'll be shocked when one of Whittaker's sons becomes a Black Panther and the other serves in Vietnam? The all-star stunt casting is the worst; Robin Williams as Dwight Eisenhower and Alan Rickman and Jane Fonda as the Reagans are especially egregious. All topped off with a clunky message that, with Barack Obama in the White House, America's finally achieved its promise.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12457 on: September 14, 2013, 07:18:22 PM »

Lee Daniels' The Butler - 6/10 - About you'd expect from the trailers/previews: sanctimonious, saccharine Oscar bait. Forest Whittaker's struggles with his family are predictable but well-done; Oprah Winfrey's quite good. The few scenes that directly confront the Civil Rights Era (especially the Klan attack on the Freedom Riders) work reasonably well. But too much of the movie reverts to familiar historical cliches, playing like a poor man's Forrest Gump. Of course we meet LBJ sitting on a toilet while yanking on his beagle's ears! Who'll be shocked when one of Whittaker's sons becomes a Black Panther and the other serves in Vietnam? The all-star stunt casting is the worst; Robin Williams as Dwight Eisenhower and Alan Rickman and Jane Fonda as the Reagans are especially egregious. All topped off with a clunky message that, with Barack Obama in the White House, America's finally achieved its promise.

Four Reagan historians co-authored an op-ed in The Washington Post trashing The Butler's portrayal of Reagan on race http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/what-the-butler-gets-wrong-about-ronald-reagan-and-race/2013/08/29/5f6aa21e-0e87-11e3-8cdd-bcdc09410972_story.html

speaking of Oprah and racism, how about her bullshit whining with the Swiss handbag shop? what an idiot

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2391880/Oprahs-racist-handbag-Swiss-store-owner-brands-star-sensitive.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2389798/Oprah-Winfrey-branded-liar-Swiss-sales-assistant-racist-handbag-row.html

« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 07:24:16 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12458 on: September 14, 2013, 07:43:36 PM »

Seems like crying over spilled milk. Reagan's in the movie for maybe five minutes. I've noticed no comparable outrage over the treatment of LBJ, whose hick boorishness is emphasized in every scene. I'd add Nixon but I doubt too many are eager to stick up for him.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12459 on: September 14, 2013, 10:32:40 PM »

Seems like crying over spilled milk. Reagan's in the movie for maybe five minutes. I've noticed no comparable outrage over the treatment of LBJ, whose hick boorishness is emphasized in every scene. I'd add Nixon but I doubt too many are eager to stick up for him.

well this is just one article by Reagan historians; I don't know what (if anything) the LBJ or Nixon historians are saying.

With that being said, if it is indeed the Reagan/race issue that is raising the biggest outcry, I can understand why: In America 2013, there is no worse accusation you can make against someone than saying he is racist. None whatsoever. No matter what the movies says or implies about LBJ and Nixon, a claim of racism would definitely raise the most controversy. It wouldn't make a difference whether it takes up 5 minutes of the movie or 50. And I don't know what you mean by "spilled milk": If the historians think Reagan's reputation is being unfairly tarnished, they are defending him so that viewers shouldn't believe what they see in a movie (yes, many people do believe what they see in a movie as historical fact). I don't see how that is "spilled milk."

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12460 on: September 15, 2013, 02:00:13 AM »

The Bling Ring - Sofia Coppola

Entertaining film, but it lacks that special momentum which made Lost in Translation so fascinating. And the characters are not that deeply felt to give the fascinating plot another dimension. Sometimes one might think The Bling Ring is only a filmic equivalent of Paris Hilton. 7/10

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12461 on: September 15, 2013, 06:22:21 AM »

I don't know what you mean by "spilled milk": If the historians think Reagan's reputation is being unfairly tarnished, they are defending him so that viewers shouldn't believe what they see in a movie (yes, many people do believe what they see in a movie as historical fact). I don't see how that is "spilled milk."

Because it's such a minor part of a film that spans 30 years (really 50+ if you count the epilogue) and five presidencies, focusing on that seems ludicrously disproportionate at best. Or whining by ideologues with an axe to grind, more likely.

Trying to argue Reagan was a progressive on racial issues when he opposed the Civil Rights Act and argued against desegregation, at a time when they were a hot button issue rather than a fait accompli, is absurd. At best he was indifferent towards the issue, at worst hostile. One could reasonably view his support of apartheid South Africa as an extension of such.

I don't know, or frankly care, whether or not Reagan was personally racist. Public policy matters. After all, Nixon was a raging old-school bigot, yet enacted Affirmative Action and enforced desegregation of schools. The movie doesn't make Reagan out to be such in any case; he's shown to genuinely like and respect Whittaker's character, even helping him earn a pay raise against a bigoted middle management type.

Of course, Reagan is one of those presidents so beloved, at least by a certain segment of the population, that you can't criticize him without inviting lots of criticism in turn. If the portrayal of Kennedy was marginally less sympathetic, I've no doubt liberals would be screaming about it. Remember the caterwauling about that Kennedys miniseries a few years back?

As for Nixon and Johnson, I suspect you can still say pretty much anything about them and get away with it. Strange in this case, as (whatever their many failings) they did far more to advance Civil Rights than the comparatively beloved Eisenhower or Kennedy.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 06:35:37 AM by Groggy » Logged

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12462 on: September 15, 2013, 08:35:39 AM »

I'd add Nixon but I doubt too many are eager to stick up for him.
You mean the man who got rid of the draft once and for all? He's my hero.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12463 on: September 15, 2013, 08:39:14 AM »

Manhandled (1949). An ensemble noir that can't decide if its serious or a comedy. Its got Hayden running around in the first half always in a disheveled state, shirt un-tucked, no tie, etc., its got a running gag about the Detective Lt., Art Smith's car having bad brakes, and another sequence where Art having taken sleeping pills appears to look drunk. Duryea is his slimy best but its not enough to save this 6/10.
We agree here (although maybe I'd take my score down to a "5"). Still, CJ, thanks for giving me a chance to see this flick. Afro

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12464 on: September 15, 2013, 08:33:40 PM »

The Browning Version - 8/10 - The Michael Redgrave version.

Also watched most of the BBC show Rev. today on Hulu. Great stuff.

Pages: 1 ... 829 830 [831] 832 833 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM