Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 10, 2017, 07:23:05 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 833 834 [835] 836 837 ... 1169 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1830094 times)
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12510 on: October 02, 2013, 11:24:17 AM »

Just updated my previous post about Schindler, which may answer your latest post, and added the last 2 lines in the end about The Pianist's biggest lie.

Once again, I'm still liking The Pianist a lot, just to be clear Smiley

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #12511 on: October 02, 2013, 12:49:55 PM »

Last but not least, the "non lying" Pianist shows you that "music can make even Nazis good people" because the officer does not kill him. Which is a lie: this officer helped and saved many jews during the whole war. Music had nothing to do with it, he was a real life hero and not the regular nazi touched by music the movie shows. If you're going to tell a single lie in a 2.5 hours movie, it's always better not to tarnish the reputation of a hero who died in the soviets camps.
I agree that the German officer was a hero and that he was heroic for reasons that had nothing to do with music. But the movie doesn't necessarily suggest that Szpilman's playing the piano is what swayed the officer in his favor. That's an interpretation, and one I've never made. I've always assumed that the guy was decent to begin with; he shows his decency first by having Szpilman play the piano in the house where he's been found (this may be a lie, because the coincidence of having the piano present is too great; or at least, it's unlikely that having Szpilman play the piano is the first thing the officer would have him do; this is dramatic license to make a point about the primacy of the piano in Szpilman's life). A pianist needs to play, just as a human needs to eat. Of course, the officer enjoys the music, and perhaps is even moved by it. But he was going to help Szpilman anyway. I suppose some may look at that scene and interpret it the way you have done, but I don't think the scene requires that interpretation. The piano-playing reveals character (those of Szpilman and the officer); it does not drive the plot.

In Empire of the Sun, both in the novel and the film, things that happened to the boy are different from what Ballard himself actually experienced (for example, he was not alone in the internment camp, his parents and sister were with him). But the experience of life in the camp still seems authentic to me (titoli: note once again the distinction I am drawing between "authentic" and "accurate.") Perhaps the reunion with the parents at the end is thus rendered phoney--I won't argue the point, it's the least interesting part of the movie anyway. But overall, after watching the film, I still feel I've had a reliable account of what it was like for a young person of "Jim's" age and status to have experienced the Japanese Occupation in China during WW2.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12512 on: October 02, 2013, 01:15:56 PM »

...it did more in its opening weekend to push humanity forward (by touching millions of people with an hollywoodian but sincere story of redemption of a selfish human being like you and me that is still inspiring wanabe Mother Theresa all around the world. Wether you hate or love the movie it IS saving lives right now) and cinema (by being one of the highest technical landmark we ever saw on a big screen) than the Pianist will in 100 years.
Your argument seems to be that Schindler's List is a more effective piece of propaganda than The Pianist. I'm happy to concede this, since that is not my concern here. Note that I do not denigrate SL because it is propaganda (there is good propaganda and bad); I denigrate it because it is bad art. A work can be both art and propaganda (see Virgil): the art can be good and the propaganda bad (see Riefenstahl); the art can be bad and the propaganda good (most Spielberg); you can also have art where the propaganda is negligible (as in The Pianist). But when I comment on films, I almost always ignore the propaganda side. The art is what matters to me.

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #12513 on: October 02, 2013, 01:47:09 PM »

Mud (2012) - 7.5/10
The screenplay is so "by the book" that it's annoying - though it's not exactly a bad script. Good performances, raw yet beautiful cinematography. Unimaginative score. The most thrilling gun fight scene I've seen for a long time.

And let me add my two cents here: Polanski's good even when he's bad (The Fearless Vampire Killers, The Ninth Gate).

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12514 on: October 02, 2013, 02:10:15 PM »

Mud (2012) - 7.5/10
The screenplay is so "by the book" that it's annoying
How refreshing in an age of arthouse poseurs.

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12515 on: October 02, 2013, 11:25:41 PM »

How refreshing in an age of arthouse poseurs.
I'm not after another Melancholia or Holy Motors here. But where are The Conversations or Taxi Drivers of today? You can tell an interesting and comprehensible story without being formulaic.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12516 on: October 03, 2013, 02:16:42 AM »

And let me add my two cents here: Polanski's good even when he's bad (The Fearless Vampire Killers, The Ninth Gate).

The Ninth Gate is disappointing (and boring), but Dance of the Vampires is a great film. One of Polanski's best.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12517 on: October 03, 2013, 02:28:14 AM »

I also have far more contrasted feeling than you MS about these ones. Dance of the Vampires is great and The Ninth Gate is a terrible piece of garbage, even for a recent French movie. What is NOT ridiculous about this movie?

www.ThibautOskian.com
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12518 on: October 03, 2013, 02:36:51 AM »

It seems that Dance of the Vampires has quite a different reputation in Europe and in the USA. The uncut version, which was released in Europe, was a great success and has since the 60s a cult following. The mutilated The Fearless Vampire Killers version on the other hand was a total flop in the USA.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12519 on: October 03, 2013, 03:28:59 AM »

I didn't know about the 2 versions. I know for sure that what we got in France has been highly considered since its theater release. Although comedies don't age well, it's still a classic for most people here.

www.ThibautOskian.com
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12520 on: October 03, 2013, 07:12:26 AM »

I also have far more contrasted feeling than you MS about these ones. Dance of the Vampires is great and The Ninth Gate is a terrible piece of garbage, even for a recent French movie. What is NOT ridiculous about this movie?
Yeah, The Ninth Gate is a ridiculous movie but Polanski's sense for camera placement, angles and visual story telling as a whole is evident even in his worst efforts. Were it directed by a talentless hack, it would look very different.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12521 on: October 03, 2013, 07:53:26 PM »

A Pistol for Ringo - 6/10 - Middling Spaghetti Western with Giuliano Gemma as yet another gunslinger playing two sides against each other, here a Mexican bandit holding rich Americans hostage and a straight arrow Sheriff. Some nice action scenes and a cool Morricone score, but it feels more an anemic copy of American Westerns than its own entity. Gemma's very likeable which seems like a fault: the movie makes Ringo out to be like Fistful's Joe, a mercenary cutthroat, but that doesn't really come off. And the middle section drags like nobody's business, with too much comic relief undercutting the tension. Still, worth watching for the first and last 20 minutes.

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12522 on: October 04, 2013, 06:10:27 AM »

Southern Comfort (1981) Region B Blu-ray - 4/10. Walter Hill squanders another great premise. It's The Warriors story all over again--only this time it's Louisiana National Guardsmen, with rifles and--a few--real bullets, in the middle of the Bayou, fighting murdering Cajuns--and each other--as they try to get home. What could have been an exciting story about men in over their heads finding the best in themselves, working together for the first to survive against long odds, is pissed away. The Guardsmen, played by Keith Carradine, Powers Booth, Fred Ward, Peter Coyote, and many other fine actors are portrayed as complete assholes. Why should we care if they make it out alive? In fact, as the film went on, and the characters got even more annoying, I was rooting for the Cajuns. A very disappointing film. The Blu-ray looks great, though.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12523 on: October 05, 2013, 02:09:43 PM »

Django the Bastard - 7/10 - Ghostly gunslinger avenges his own death. Seems polarizing among Spaghetti fans but I dug it.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12524 on: October 06, 2013, 06:41:11 AM »

Django Kill - Huh/10 - Of everything strange in this movie, I choose to remember the villain's champagne-drinking parrot.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 06:52:27 AM by Groggy » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 833 834 [835] 836 837 ... 1169 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM