Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 07:31:48 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
: 1 ... 833 834 [835] 836 837 ... 1401
: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  ( 5044575 )
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #12510 : October 03, 2013, 01:28:14 AM »

I also have far more contrasted feeling than you MS about these ones. Dance of the Vampires is great and The Ninth Gate is a terrible piece of garbage, even for a recent French movie. What is NOT ridiculous about this movie?

stanton
Bounty Killer

« #12511 : October 03, 2013, 01:36:51 AM »

It seems that Dance of the Vampires has quite a different reputation in Europe and in the USA. The uncut version, which was released in Europe, was a great success and has since the 60s a cult following. The mutilated The Fearless Vampire Killers version on the other hand was a total flop in the USA.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #12512 : October 03, 2013, 02:28:59 AM »

I didn't know about the 2 versions. I know for sure that what we got in France has been highly considered since its theater release. Although comedies don't age well, it's still a classic for most people here.

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

« #12513 : October 03, 2013, 06:12:26 AM »

I also have far more contrasted feeling than you MS about these ones. Dance of the Vampires is great and The Ninth Gate is a terrible piece of garbage, even for a recent French movie. What is NOT ridiculous about this movie?
Yeah, The Ninth Gate is a ridiculous movie but Polanski's sense for camera placement, angles and visual story telling as a whole is evident even in his worst efforts. Were it directed by a talentless hack, it would look very different.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

« #12514 : October 03, 2013, 06:53:26 PM »

A Pistol for Ringo - 6/10 - Middling Spaghetti Western with Giuliano Gemma as yet another gunslinger playing two sides against each other, here a Mexican bandit holding rich Americans hostage and a straight arrow Sheriff. Some nice action scenes and a cool Morricone score, but it feels more an anemic copy of American Westerns than its own entity. Gemma's very likeable which seems like a fault: the movie makes Ringo out to be like Fistful's Joe, a mercenary cutthroat, but that doesn't really come off. And the middle section drags like nobody's business, with too much comic relief undercutting the tension. Still, worth watching for the first and last 20 minutes.

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

The joy of loving is to live in a world of Mandom

« #12515 : October 04, 2013, 05:10:27 AM »

Southern Comfort (1981) Region B Blu-ray - 4/10. Walter Hill squanders another great premise. It's The Warriors story all over again--only this time it's Louisiana National Guardsmen, with rifles and--a few--real bullets, in the middle of the Bayou, fighting murdering Cajuns--and each other--as they try to get home. What could have been an exciting story about men in over their heads finding the best in themselves, working together for the first to survive against long odds, is pissed away. The Guardsmen, played by Keith Carradine, Powers Booth, Fred Ward, Peter Coyote, and many other fine actors are portrayed as complete assholes. Why should we care if they make it out alive? In fact, as the film went on, and the characters got even more annoying, I was rooting for the Cajuns. A very disappointing film. The Blu-ray looks great, though.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
Groggy
Bounty Killer

« #12516 : October 05, 2013, 01:09:43 PM »

Django the Bastard - 7/10 - Ghostly gunslinger avenges his own death. Seems polarizing among Spaghetti fans but I dug it.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

« #12517 : October 06, 2013, 05:41:11 AM »

Django Kill - ???/10 - Of everything strange in this movie, I choose to remember the villain's champagne-drinking parrot.

« : October 06, 2013, 05:52:27 AM Groggy »

stanton
Bounty Killer

« #12518 : October 06, 2013, 12:38:35 PM »

Blackthorn - Mateo Gil, 2011

A western shot in Bolivia by a Spanish director, who earned some fame by co-writing several screenplays with and for Alejandro Amenabar (Tesis ; Obre los ojos and its remake Vanilla Sky; Mar adentro and others). Blackthorn is the name under which Butch Cassidy, who apparently here wasn't shot back in 1908, lives in Bolivia since then. The film is set in 1927 when Cassidy wants to return to the states. But a Spanish mine engineer and his robbed money involves him in another adventure which also brings some memories back on his days with Sundance Kid and Etta Place.

It is one of those more realistic feeling modern westerns like Appaloosa, The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford or The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada, which don't point the western in a new direction, but which walk on a viable path to visit the genre without relying on the past.
Blackthorn is a fine film, and Sam Shepard gives the old Cassidy the earthed enough presence to contrast the him surrounding myth. The long chase and fight in the salt desert is one of the best western scenes since the 70s. 8/10

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

The joy of loving is to live in a world of Mandom

« #12519 : October 06, 2013, 12:55:48 PM »

Blackthorn - Mateo Gil, 2011

A western shot in Bolivia by a Spanish director, who earned some fame by co-writing several screenplays with and for Alejandro Amenabar (Tesis ; Obre los ojos and its remake Vanilla Sky; Mar adentro and others). Blackthorn is the name under which Butch Cassidy, who apparently here wasn't shot back in 1908, lives in Bolivia since then. The film is set in 1927 when Cassidy wants to return to the states. But a Spanish mine engineer and his robbed money involves him in another adventure which also brings some memories back on his days with Sundance Kid and Etta Place.

It is one of those more realistic feeling modern westerns like Appaloosa, The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford or The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada, which don't point the western in a new direction, but which walk on a viable path to visit the genre without relying on the past.
Blackthorn is a fine film, and Sam Shepard gives the old Cassidy the earthed enough presence to contrast the him surrounding myth. The long chase and fight in the salt desert is one of the best western scenes since the 70s. 8/10
This is what I said about the film 2 years ago:
OK, saw it, it's not so great, I give it 6/10. Mostly set in 1927, it follows the further adventures of Butch Cassidy who, we learn, wasn't killed by Bolivian soldiers in 1908. What's he been doing for 20 years? Going to bed early, apparently. He's been hiding out in Bolivia, raising horses. He's getting ready to cash out and head back to the States when his path crosses that of a larcenous Spaniard with whom he forms a sudden and uneasy partnership. The two men are then pursued (by Indian gunmen and--as it turns out--Indian gunwomen) with extreme prejudice. The chase structure plays to the film's one advantage, the Bolivian locations. It looks like every frame was shot there, and Bolivia, which I don't remember ever seeing on film before, is in turns austere and beautiful. There's one particularly memorable sequence where the men have to cross some very impressive salt flats. Little attempt is made to make the characters sound period--they talk just like characters in films set in 2011. Sam Shepherd isn't bad, he does the grizzled old man bit well, but we have to endure his singing in several scenes (the reason he agreed to appear in this low-budget film, probably). There's also several flashbacks to Butch and Sundance's South American Adventure (1900-1908) which, if I recall, was adequately covered in another film. The plot turns out to be rather stupid, but the photography is very nice.
I pretty much stand by what I wrote, but I'm thinking I scored it rather low. We don't get that many competently handled Westerns, and the crossing of the salt flats is, as you say, pretty well done. OK, I'll raise it to a "7". If it weren't for Shepard's singing, I might have even gone higher.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #12520 : October 07, 2013, 04:48:06 AM »

Nobody Else But You - "Poupoupidou"  (2011)  Director: GĂ©rald Hustache-Mathieu, stars: Jean-Paul Rouve, Sophie Quinton, Guillaume Gouix.  9/10  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1736636/?ref_=rvi_tt

Storyline (IMDb)
"Rousseau" is a Parisian bestselling crime novelist, working on a new novel but desperately looking for a good story. "Candice Lecoeur" is a young, attractive, and vibrant woman who thinks she is the reincarnation of Marilyn Monroe. But Candice is living far away from the city. Born in a remote area of France, she manages to become a model for the small cheese factory based in the area. She becomes a star; but only a local one. The two will meet but only after Candice has been found dead. Cause of death: suicide by sleeping pills. Rousseau is the only one who doesn't buy it and who wants to know the true cause of her death. In his search for the truth, he will be confronted with many difficulties: becoming a detective-novelist and getting respect from the locals, and going beyond what some people want to keep secret forever.

« : October 07, 2013, 04:19:27 PM cigar joe »

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #12521 : October 07, 2013, 08:34:09 AM »

Gravity - 7/10
Visually groundbreaking, otherwise shallow. Well-acted although I usually hate Bullock.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #12522 : October 07, 2013, 08:42:16 AM »

She usually sucks, but when directed by good filmmakers in interesting projects, she really delivers.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

« #12523 : October 07, 2013, 07:56:20 PM »

If You Meet Sartana Pray for Your Death - 6/10 - Plays like recycled bits of the Dollars films with some Django-inspired Gatling gun fun. The main appeal for me was seeing so many Spaghetti favorites - Gianni Garko, William Berger, Fernando Sancho and Klaus Kinski - in one place.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #12524 : October 07, 2013, 08:53:08 PM »

Breaking Bad: The Series - 10/10
About as perfect as storytelling gets.

: 1 ... 833 834 [835] 836 837 ... 1401  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines