Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 12, 2017, 08:43:43 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 835 836 [837] 838 839 ... 1169 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1833650 times)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #12540 on: October 11, 2013, 07:07:07 AM »

Los Olvidados aka The Young and the Damned (1950) 9/10

what an amazing movie! and what an amazing dream scene! The best movie dream ever other than OUATIA   Wink

The only thing I didn't like was the first minute of preaching by the overvoice, clearly putting the impetus for change on SOCIETY and specifically reaching out to the PROGRESSIVES, as if that's gonna solve society's social ills (which, btw, contrasts with the bit toward the end of the movie, where the judge tells the mother [correctly, IMO] that much of her son's problems are her own fault). But anyway, after that initial minute of preaching, I forgot about that crap and enjoyed the movie. And what a movie it is!

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #12541 on: October 11, 2013, 09:38:49 AM »

Yeah, it's a great movie, but what the heck is an "overvoice"? Sounds very fascistic......

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12542 on: October 12, 2013, 04:50:34 AM »

BLUE JASMINE 8/10

Best Woody Allen since... let's say 2000.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #12543 on: October 12, 2013, 04:55:35 AM »

The Seventh Seal (1957) - 8.5/10

Could have done without some mono-/dialogue, still superb.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #12544 on: October 12, 2013, 05:56:01 AM »

Il bidone (1955) Dr. Fellini, stars Broderick Crawford, Richard Basehart, Franco Fabrizi, and Giulietta Masina  Con man Augusto (Crawford), who swindles peasants dressed as a bishop, works a grift (death bed confession & a buried treasure) with two younger men. Good 7/10.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12545 on: October 12, 2013, 06:58:56 AM »

The Price of Power - 6/10 - 2nd viewing. Didn't like it as much the second time.

Saturday nights with Groggy
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #12546 on: October 12, 2013, 11:11:35 PM »

Voice-over *   Wink

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12547 on: October 14, 2013, 10:24:27 AM »

Sorcerer (1977) - 3.5/10

I thought it was terrible.

Overlong, with poor performances from the cast, without charm and disconnected, also often times not self explanatory.

It's on YT.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12548 on: October 14, 2013, 12:14:03 PM »

Sorcerer (1977) - 3.5/10

I thought it was terrible.

Overlong, with poor performances from the cast, without charm and disconnected, also often times not self explanatory.

It's on YT.
Why does it have to be "self explanatory" if it's a remake?

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12549 on: October 14, 2013, 01:22:04 PM »

Cause not everybody watched the original.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12550 on: October 14, 2013, 01:54:56 PM »

As I Lay Dying (2013) 6/10. James Franco, for his sins, adapts William Faulkner. It may be remembered that the novel fragments its story, devoting separate chapters to different characters' points-of-view, until the narrative emerges from, if you will, a mosaic of monologues. Finding a cinematic equivalent for such a literary conceit is difficult, but Franco has given it a good try. First, he's reassembled the plot in strict chronological order (but allowing for some flashbacks). Then he's used several techniques as a way of taking us into the characters' heads: voice-over, to be sure, but also direct addresses to the camera. One particularly experimental approach makes use of split screen: on the left side of the screen, say, we see a character in close-up, while on the right we see what it is the character is seeing, hear on the soundtrack what he's hearing. This takes some getting used to, but ultimately is not confusing. The different techniques are mixed and varied, so that no one approach becomes wearing. Props must go to Franco for filming an "unfilmable" novel, but the end result is little more than Terrence Malick meets O Brother Where Art Thou (in fact, Tim Blake Nelson is in the cast). But without the humor. The biggest problem is that Faulkner's characters aren't very interesting, so their stories are less than compelling. The novelist could disguise the fact beneath his layered prose, but laid bare on the screen the shortcomings of plot and subject are all too apparent.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12551 on: October 14, 2013, 01:58:25 PM »

Cause not everybody watched the original.
Everybody who counts has.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12552 on: October 15, 2013, 04:54:07 AM »

The original is a flawed film either.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12553 on: October 15, 2013, 07:04:06 AM »

Fell behind on a few days of movie watching.

Breaker Morant - 9/10 - 3rd viewing.

Sabata - 7/10 - 2nd viewing. This was my first non-Leone Spaghetti Western and I remembered not liking it. It held up better on a rewatch. It's definitely on the sillier side of the Spaghetti spectrum, but entertaining enough: lots of action and Lee Van Cleef and William Berger make a nice pairing.

Adios Sabata - 5/10 - The faux-Sabata with Yul Brynner in gaudy Village People outfit aiding the Juaristas. Plays like bits and pieces of other, better Westerns mashed together. It also makes the bizarre mistake of having Austrian troops running around 1860s Mexico (no budget for French costumes?). Some decent action scenes make it tolerable.

Return of Sabata - 4/10 - The opening scene is clever and Van Cleef is as badass as ever. Everything else is terrible: goofy music, lame villains, increasingly ludicrous gadgets and stunts.

Captain Phillips - 8/10 - A solid thriller with a great Tom Hanks performance.

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12554 on: October 16, 2013, 07:18:48 AM »

Une femme mariee (1964) - 7/10. Godard's approach to a cinema that combines narrative and documentary techniques. An interesting experiment, but it doesn't say anything here that isn't covered better elsewhere, as in, say, Vivre sa vie, Le Mepris, or Masculin/Feminin. Still, it is a pleasure to see the beautiful limbs of the young Macha Meril (Godard is such a tease, we never get to see all parts of her at once).
Another viewing, and I'll stand by what I said, but perhaps I appreciated more of the humor this time. The bit where MM is leafing through the woman's mag and it's all bra ads--well, I had to chuckle. Also, the joke told by the man who has just returned from a trip to Auschwitz: "I asked, 'What if they arrested all the Jews and all the hairdressers?' and I got the reply, 'Why the hairdressers?'" [Ha! geddit?] Of course, the naked limbs of MM--and only her limbs--is another joke. Jean-Luc is at his best when trying to be funny.

Pages: 1 ... 835 836 [837] 838 839 ... 1169 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM