Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2017, 07:46:47 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 836 837 [838] 839 840 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1763476 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #12555 on: October 16, 2013, 07:18:48 AM »

Une femme mariee (1964) - 7/10. Godard's approach to a cinema that combines narrative and documentary techniques. An interesting experiment, but it doesn't say anything here that isn't covered better elsewhere, as in, say, Vivre sa vie, Le Mepris, or Masculin/Feminin. Still, it is a pleasure to see the beautiful limbs of the young Macha Meril (Godard is such a tease, we never get to see all parts of her at once).
Another viewing, and I'll stand by what I said, but perhaps I appreciated more of the humor this time. The bit where MM is leafing through the woman's mag and it's all bra ads--well, I had to chuckle. Also, the joke told by the man who has just returned from a trip to Auschwitz: "I asked, 'What if they arrested all the Jews and all the hairdressers?' and I got the reply, 'Why the hairdressers?'" [Ha! geddit?] Of course, the naked limbs of MM--and only her limbs--is another joke. Jean-Luc is at his best when trying to be funny.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12556 on: October 16, 2013, 08:08:39 AM »

The Great Silence - 8/10 - 2nd viewing.

Saturday nights with Groggy
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #12557 on: October 16, 2013, 11:01:20 AM »

BRIEF ENCOUNTER 8/10.  I think the lead actor and actress were decent, nothing special (though the supporting cast, none of whom had a very large role, was very solid). Still, this was a well-made movie.... SPOILERS... do you think the husband knew what was going on, when he says that cryptic last line, You've been so far away but thanks for coming back to me?

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12558 on: October 16, 2013, 02:29:16 PM »

BRIEF ENCOUNTER 8/10.  I think the lead actor and actress were decent, nothing special (though the supporting cast, none of whom had a very large role, was very solid). Still, this was a well-made movie.... SPOILERS... do you think the husband knew what was going on, when he says that cryptic last line, You've been so far away but thanks for coming back to me?
I think he just means that she's been emotionally distant. He doesn't know why she's been that way, but now that she seems to be her old self again it's good to have her back.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12559 on: October 16, 2013, 02:43:53 PM »

I think he just means that she's been emotionally distant. He doesn't know why she's been that way, but now that she seems to be her old self again it's good to have her back.

actually, I don't think there was ever any indication from him that he realized his wife has been distant over the past few weeks (and if he did, how would he know – from the mere fact that her daydream just ended that she has now emotionally returned to him?)

IMO it's just supposed to be a double meaning that the husband doesn't realize. Ie., he sees that she has been lost in a daydream for the past few hours – a very deep daydream – and not paying any attention to him; now, he is simply glad that her daydream is over and that she has come back to him. So he says that statement on a very basic, simple level; and doesn't realize that his words actually have a much deeper meaning.

Now, here's an ethical question: Although the wife and the doctor never had sex, do you consider it that she cheated on her husband? And specifically, would you say that the proper and honest thing to do would be for her to come clean and tell her husband what happened? Or would you say that as long as they never had sex, she has no obligation to tell her husband, or perhaps it's even better that she doesn't tell her husband, because after hearing this story he definitely wouldn't leave her, so all that coming clean would accomplish is to make him sad and bring tension into the marriage?

« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 06:27:21 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #12560 on: October 17, 2013, 01:32:50 AM »

actually, I don't think there was ever any indication from him that he realized his wife has been distant over the past few weeks (and if he did, how would he know – from the mere fact that her daydream just ended that she has now emotionally returned to him?)

IMO it's just supposed to be a double meaning that the husband doesn't realize. Ie., he sees that she has been lost in a daydream for the past few hours – a very deep daydream – and not paying any attention to him; now, he is simply glad that her daydream is over and that she has come back to him. So he says that statement on a very basic, simple level; and doesn't realize that his words actually have a much deeper meaning.

Now, here's an ethical question: Although the wife and the doctor never had sex, do you consider it that she cheated on her husband? An specifically, would you say that the proper and honest thing to do would be for her to come clean and tell her husband what happened? Or would you say that as long as they never had sex, she has no obligation to tell her husband, or perhaps it's even better that she doesn't tell her husband, because after hearing this story he definitely wouldn't leave her, so all that coming clean would accomplish is to make him sad and bring tension into the marriage?
Which is worse: falling in love with another man or woman or having sex with them? Are we responsible for our emotions or only for our actions? I think the questions are more interesting than the answers - because there are no definite answers. I think it's a great, great film partly because it doesn't try to give you the answer.

"Concrete Night" - Betoniyφ (2013) - 7.5/10
"A fourteen-year-old boy in a stifling Helsinki slum takes some unwise life lessons from his soon-to-be-incarcerated older brother." A story of how hopeless the future can seem to a teenager. Shot in beautiful anamorphic, high contrast B&W. It's refreshing to see a Finnish film this bold in its form and content. Although the form is rather epic, the running time is wisely kept at 96 minutes. Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjivYyQ1MnM

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12561 on: October 17, 2013, 06:35:45 AM »

Which is worse: falling in love with another man or woman or having sex with them? Are we responsible for our emotions or only for our actions? I think the questions are more interesting than the answers - because there are no definite answers. I think it's a great, great film partly because it doesn't try to give you the answer.

IMO the whole idea of "well you can't help your emotions," or "you can't help falling in love with someone," like it's some power beyond your control, is BS. Nobody falls in love with anyone overnight. Sure, you can be instantly attracted to someone, or instantly drawn to them; you can see a hot babe and wanna bang her, but falling in love takes time. You have to spend time with the person and over time you can fall in love with them. But – despite the cliche' "love at first sight" – nobody ever falls in love instantly. Falling in love can only happen with repeated encounters, and that's what happened with the couple here. Yeah, maybe the first few encounters were accidental (getting the dirt out of her eye, only having one empty table at the restaurant), but it took more than that. You can debate whether a married man and married woman who really don't know each other should be going to a movie together, but beyond that, they should have said "Nice to know you," and that's it. And as fun as the day can be, as much as she may have liked him, you don't fall in love from that. BUT, she agreed to meet him the next week. And that's where she went wrong. And that's where she is totally at fault. And they also did plenty of kissing. IMO that is absolutely cheating. Passionately kissing someone else is as much cheating as sex.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12562 on: October 17, 2013, 06:59:13 AM »

Dick - 4/10 - Clueless meets Forrest Gump: teenagers Kirsten Dunst and Michelle Williams end up working for Richard Nixon, turning on him when they catch the President abusing his dog. Given the cast and my love of all things Nixon I had modest expectations for this movie. Sadly the humor is thoroughly sophomoric, with repetitive jokes about pot cookies and plays on the President's title nickname. Dunst and Williams are cute, at least.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #12563 on: October 17, 2013, 12:04:38 PM »

The Twelve Tasks of Asterix (1976) - 7.5/10

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12564 on: October 17, 2013, 12:18:06 PM »

IMO the whole idea of "well you can't help your emotions," or "you can't help falling in love with someone," like it's some power beyond your control, is BS. Nobody falls in love with anyone overnight. Sure, you can be instantly attracted to someone, or instantly drawn to them; you can see a hot babe and wanna bang her, but falling in love takes time. You have to spend time with the person and over time you can fall in love with them. But – despite the cliche' "love at first sight" – nobody ever falls in love instantly.

Actually, that's not true. Maybe not absolutely at first sight, but it can happen damn quick.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12565 on: October 17, 2013, 12:54:37 PM »

Yes, it can be quick. But in order to fall in love with them, you have to voluntarily spend time with them - and a married woman shouldn't be spending that kinda time with a married man. So yes, I blame them for their actions. It's not like some power completely beyond their control made them fall in love before they spent time inappropriately together

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #12566 on: October 17, 2013, 06:43:06 PM »

Desert Fury (1947) Lizbeth Scott in color yummy 7/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12567 on: October 17, 2013, 08:03:27 PM »

Sunday Too Far Away - 8/10 - Another nice, gritty Aussie drama starring Jack Thompson as a hard-luck sheep shearer dealing with jerk coworkers, cruel bosses and labor issues. Episodic and plotless, it gets by on strongly rendered episodes and Thompson's excellent acting.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #12568 on: October 18, 2013, 06:25:04 AM »

Flamingo Road (1949) first time watch, carnival dancer Joan Crawford quits carny for waitress job, falls for Zachary Scott, lackey deputy of backroom political manipulator Sheriff Titus Semple (Sidney Greenstreet). Ambitious Scott lets Semple manipulate him into the state senate, price, dumping Crawford, and marrying ritzy proper Flamingo Road gal Virginia Huston. Crawford, picked up for street walking on Semple's frame-up, is railroaded to a county lock-up. When released she gets a job at a "road house" run by Gladys George where Crawford meets David Brian an even bigger politico than Greenstreet who she marries. The  fireworks between Crawford and Greenstreet entertains. Fred Clark (Ride the Pink Horse) plays a newspaper editor. The whole cast is great, Greenstreet at the top of his game and Scott is actually very tolerable (for me) in this.

Crawford is a bit too old to play a carny "dancer" and in reality she would be a carnival sideshow stripper a notch lower than burlesque but still at 45 that would still be pushing the envelope, my only complaint, if a younger star would have replaced Crawford say Audrey Totter (31), Gloria Grahame (26), or Liz Scott (27), and (if the Hayes Code was non existent) more time and emphasis spent on sex and more blatant innuendos used, this film would have really sizzled, too bad. 7/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12569 on: October 18, 2013, 09:40:10 AM »

Crawford is a bit too old to play a carny "dancer" and in reality she would be a carnival sideshow stripper a notch lower than burlesque but still at 45 that would still be pushing the envelope, my only complaint, if a younger star would have replaced Crawford say Audrey Totter (31), Gloria Grahame (26), or Liz Scott (27), and (if the Hayes Code was non existent) more time and emphasis spent on sex and more blatant innuendos used, this film would have really sizzled, too bad. 7/10

If I understand you right, you're complaining about the world you were born into; you would have preferred an Alternative Earth. Er, OK, not really my department . . .

Pages: 1 ... 836 837 [838] 839 840 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM