Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2017, 11:56:27 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 837 838 [839] 840 841 ... 1161 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1760379 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #12570 on: October 18, 2013, 01:37:52 PM »

If I understand you right, you're complaining about the world you were born into; you would have preferred an Alternative Earth. Er, OK, not really my department . . .

Well what I'm saying is it's too bad Cool

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12571 on: October 19, 2013, 08:04:10 AM »

BRIEF ENCOUNTER 8/10.  I think the lead actor and actress were decent, nothing special (though the supporting cast, none of whom had a very large role, was very solid). Still, this was a well-made movie.... SPOILERS... do you think the husband knew what was going on, when he says that cryptic last line, You've been so far away but thanks for coming back to me?

I will not brook someone calling Celia Johnson and Trevor Howard "nothing special." And Stanley Holloway and Joyce Carey solid? They're the worst part of the movie!

Saturday nights with Groggy
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #12572 on: October 19, 2013, 06:56:26 PM »

I will not brook someone calling Celia Johnson and Trevor Howard "nothing special." And Stanley Holloway and Joyce Carey solid? They're the worst part of the movie!

which role did Joyce Carey play? I see her character's name was Myrtle Begot, but I mean what was her role? was she the lady behind the counter at the refreshment room?

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12573 on: October 19, 2013, 07:00:49 PM »

Yes

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12574 on: October 19, 2013, 07:11:59 PM »

Inherit the Wind (1960) 8.5/10

I regarded this movie as pure entertainment and nothing else, and that's why I enjoyed it. It sure is funny. But no, it's nothing like the Scopes Monkey Trial. And reducing the entire town to two types of cartoon characters people who use their brain and believe in evolution; and people who've never used their brain for anything other than memorizing the words to Gime Me That Old-Time Religion is pretty damn stupid. But of course, the movie is really unconcerned with the Scoped Money Trial; this was purely an attempt to denounce McCarthyism.

Anyway, for me I just looked at it as great comedy, and it sure was fun. Spencer Tracy and Fredric March were great. As was Gene Kelly, playing the character based on H.L. Mencken. As was Claude Akins as the preacher (whose religious service seems to consist entirely of alternating between singing Gimme That Old-Time Religion and damning people, and Harry Morgan as the prosecution-biased and dim-witted judge.
March has a shit ton of makeup on and was actually made to look remarkably like the real-life prosecutor, William Jennings Bryan; whereas Tracy just looks like Tracy, and nothing like real-life defense attorney Clarence Darrow. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Scopes_trial.jpg

If you believe in evolution and in cartoon-characters of people who oppose evolution, you'll love this movie. And if you believe in the Biblical account of Creation but can just forget about ideology and enjoy a funny movie, then you'll love this movie too  Afro

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12575 on: October 19, 2013, 07:14:39 PM »

Yes

I thought they were funny.

Did you not like the fact that the comedy was inserted there (which would mean your problem is with the script), or did you not like their performances?

I thought they were good.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12576 on: October 19, 2013, 08:32:09 PM »

Either/or both. In the play on which the film's based, their roles are roughly equal to Laura and Alec, and they're less out of place. In the movie they're an irritating distraction (though perhaps necessary as comic relief - the rest of the show is rather dour).

Stanley Holloway always annoys me, though. He's the worst part of My Fair Lady and This Happy Breed. I've only liked him in The Lavender Hill Mob, where he has Alec Guinness to play off of.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12577 on: October 19, 2013, 09:32:35 PM »

The Singer Not the Song - 3/10 - Roy Ward Baker's idea of a Western: John Mills is a devout priest assigned to a backwater Mexican village (or Spain doubling for Mexico, same difference). Dirk Bogarde is an atheist bandit in shiny leather pants (Jill, take note). Sadly it's not as fun as it sounds; rather a garbled, boring allegory whose message is nigh-indiscernible. No wonder there aren't many British Westerns.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12578 on: October 19, 2013, 10:10:48 PM »

Either/or both. In the play on which the film's based, their roles are roughly equal to Laura and Alec, and they're less out of place. In the movie they're an irritating distraction (though perhaps necessary as comic relief - the rest of the show is rather dour).

Stanley Holloway always annoys me, though. He's the worst part of My Fair Lady and This Happy Breed. I've only liked him in The Lavender Hill Mob, where he has Alec Guinness to play off of.

so you didn't like Brief Encounter? Groggy not liking David Lean?  Shocked

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12579 on: October 19, 2013, 10:15:22 PM »

The Halloway-Carey scenes account for the 1/10 I did not award Brief Encounter in my review.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12580 on: October 19, 2013, 10:20:46 PM »

are you saying that you would rate Brief Encounter a 1/10 because of those scenes?

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12581 on: October 20, 2013, 06:56:23 AM »

I'm saying that I subtracted 1/10 from a 10/10 score because of those scenes.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12582 on: October 22, 2013, 01:31:16 AM »

They Live by Night (1948) 9.5/10

Further discussion here http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=11812.0

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12583 on: October 22, 2013, 07:05:31 AM »

Dario Argento time:

Suspiria - 7/10 - 2nd viewing. I still think it falls apart in the end, but the ride getting there is pretty wicked.

Tenebre - 8/10 - Many directors make films about their own work, though approaches can differ. Federico Fellini frets about reality not matching his fantasies. Woody Allen neurotically examines his failings. Dario Argento, on the other hand, hacks his critics apart with an axe.

Amaze
Bounty Killer

I don't see any method at all, sir.

View Profile
« Reply #12584 on: October 23, 2013, 01:57:55 PM »

GBU mondo bluray fan edit. 10/10 of course  Smiley

Pages: 1 ... 837 838 [839] 840 841 ... 1161 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM