Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 21, 2017, 10:35:46 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 843 844 [845] 846 847 ... 1166 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1802712 times)
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12660 on: November 11, 2013, 06:34:15 PM »

They Made Me a Fugitive - 8/10 - Gritty film noir starring Trevor Howard. What's not to like?

Saturday nights with Groggy
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #12661 on: November 11, 2013, 06:37:19 PM »

Crack Up (1946) film noir directed by Irving Reis, cinematography by Robert De Grasse, with Pat O'Brien, Claire Trevor, Herbert Marshall, Ray Collins, Wallace Ford, wow a Pat O'Brien noir and a good one 7.5/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #12662 on: November 12, 2013, 06:02:51 AM »

Sexy Beast (2001) 7/10. TT Blu-ray. Ray Winstone, hahahaha. Ben Kingsley, hahahaha. Ian McShane, hahahaha. James Fox, stiff as ever. I very much like having the choice of aspect ratios on the BD. Great trend, hope it continues.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #12663 on: November 12, 2013, 09:35:22 AM »

Sexy Beast (2001) 7/10. TT Blu-ray. Ray Winstone, hahahaha. Ben Kingsley, hahahaha. Ian McShane, hahahaha. James Fox, stiff as ever. I very much like having the choice of aspect ratios on the BD. Great trend, hope it continues.

Stiffness is the word. Cheesy

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #12664 on: November 13, 2013, 01:41:32 AM »

Primrose Path (1940) 7.5/10

Girl from the wrong side of the tracks (Ginger Rogers) meets boy from the right side of the tracks (Joel McCrea).

Rogers is incredible as always, McCrea (whom I generally can't stand) was tolerable; the supporting cast was amazing: Marjorie Rambeau (who was nominated for an Oscar for this role), Henry Travers, Queenie Vassar, child star Joan Carroll, Vivienne Osborne, and Carmen Morales. Miles Mander, who played Rogers's drunk father, was nothing special; but other than McCrea and Mander, the cast was terrific.

The story was nothing special, but this is a fun watch thanks to the performances.

Catch this next time it plays on TCM  Afro

« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 01:42:57 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12665 on: November 13, 2013, 07:16:05 AM »

The Lady From Musashino (1951) 9/10. Minor Mizoguchi. Yet why do I prefer it to many of Mizo's other films? Could it be Tanaka's great performance? No doubt, but she's always good. The tear-jerker ending? Maybe. The use of locations rather than sets? Ah, this more than anything may be what contributes to the film's special appeal. Images are what really make a Mizoguchi film. In this there's a crane shot to die for when the hero first approaches the heroine's house, and the final reveal at the end of the picture--showing modern Musashino as it really is/was--is quietly devastating.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12666 on: November 13, 2013, 07:19:50 AM »

Argo - 2/5

Finally caught a part of it (the first hour) on TV while eating. Couldn't see more, I had to get back to work. I have nothing again Ben Affleck: he's a bad actor, a bad writer and a bad director but I really think he's a great man. So I'm very happy for him that this movie got so much praise, and it's a movie I really wanted to like. However, just like Gone Baby Gone, it's garbage. Not in the worst meaning of the word: at least it's a good try, with a mostly good to great cast. It just never ever works. Forced dialogues, boring cinematography, bad editing, amateurish writing, absolutely no notion of rhythm... I could go on and on, but let's just say this: it looks like a film made by an old French guy trying to do an American movie.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 07:28:59 AM by noodles_leone » Logged

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12667 on: November 13, 2013, 07:24:32 AM »

Argo - 2/5

Finally caught a part of it (the first hour) on TV while eating. Couldn't see more, I had to get back to work. I have nothing again Ben Affleck: he's a bad actor, a bad writer and a bad director but I really think he's a great man. So I'm very happy for him that this movie got so much praise, and it's a movie I really wanted to like. However, just like Gone Baby Gone, it's garbage. Not in the worst meaning of the word: at least it's a good try, with a mostly good to great cast. It just never ever works. Forced dialogues, boring cinematography, bad editing, amateurish writing, absolutely no notion of rhythm... I could go on and on, but let's just say this: it looks like a film made by an old French guy trying to do an American movie.
LOL. What did you think of The Town?

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12668 on: November 13, 2013, 07:28:49 AM »

Didn't see it! I had planned to do so but I'd be very surprised to like it any more than the other 2.

DD, I seem to remember you really liked Argo, didn't you? Not being rude, but it's one of these cases where I really cannot understand how someone would consider it as a real film. Still not unbearable to watch though, hence my 2/5. I guess it could be considered as a 2.5 because the pitch is amazing and you've got the two greatest Walter ever (Sobchak AND White) in the same film.

DJ, I cannot remember your rating.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 07:32:38 AM by noodles_leone » Logged

www.ThibautOskian.com
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12669 on: November 13, 2013, 07:50:21 AM »

I enjoyed Argo but I'm still baffled that it won Best Picture.

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12670 on: November 13, 2013, 09:17:22 AM »

I liked Argo too, especially the comic stuff supplied by Goodman and Arkin. The film is not great art, but I thought it was entertaining.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12671 on: November 13, 2013, 09:41:35 AM »

I guess I'm alone in the dark here. Once again, good for Ben.

www.ThibautOskian.com
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #12672 on: November 13, 2013, 02:51:40 PM »

Argo - 2/5

you can't rate a movie that you've only seen an hour of

Argo is a 10/10 and deserved Best Picture. I saw quite a few 2012 movies and some were really good and had high ratings (as I discussed in the Academy Awards thread) but none were better than Argo

« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 06:29:38 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12673 on: November 13, 2013, 03:41:35 PM »

you can't rate a movie that you've only seen an hour of

Haha I was pretty sure this was coming Smiley
So you think I would rate it higher if I saw the other hour? Or you're just saying that I don't "have to right" to rate it? If it's the later, well, I don't know what to say apart from "Yes I can". If it's the former, I assure you, if the second half isn't 100% different of what I saw (and I know it's more "thriller" than the beginning, but I've seen Argo being thriller in the opening, it didn't work ANY better), it has no ability to change my rating. I may be stupid, but I already know what I like and dislike about how this movie is done. I actually knew it from the first scene (apart from the comic dialogues that where to come), and it just stayed the same after that. I'd be very surprised  to discover after ONE HOUR that all of a sudden the lame cinematography was actually excellent, or the basic structure actually very rich, or the non existent Ben Affleck performance actually nicely low-key. You may disagree about my judgement and we can discuss this, but I assure you I would say EXACTLY the same thing after 30, 60 or 120 minutes of Argo. I know the way I work. To be fair, it could gain 1/10 if the ending "gets" me, but that's about it.
So I will just ask you again, and I'm not being ironical because there still is this single chance out of 1.000 that the movie becomes radically different after the first hour (may be Ben Affleck was replaced by Leone's ghost at some point during the filming, but that's hard to believe because it really seems that Ben was back for the (BAD) editing), and because your whole point only lead to this: do you sincerely think I would rate Argo higher if I saw the other hour?

I saw quite a few 2012 movies and some were really good and had high ratings (as I discussed in the Academy Awards thread) but none were better with Argo

I saw the opening of Amour the other day. I'd really like to give it a try as soon as possible, even if (sorry DD) I think I got where it was going. Anyway, the dialogues of the couple (and only them) sounded weird to me. Very artificial, very theater-like, instead of realistic or even cinema-like. Kind of like Rohmer dialogues. Did you guys non french speaker notice this as well? Or was it lost somewhere in the translation process?

« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 04:00:29 PM by noodles_leone » Logged

www.ThibautOskian.com
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #12674 on: November 13, 2013, 06:16:46 PM »

I'd be very surprised  to discover after ONE HOUR that all of a sudden the lame cinematography was actually excellent

DD doesn't weigh cinematography as important as other factors (see his film noir reviews), whereas I probably give it more weight than I should in mine.  Grin

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Pages: 1 ... 843 844 [845] 846 847 ... 1166 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM