Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 14, 2017, 02:06:04 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 848 849 [850] 851 852 ... 1170 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1836646 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #12735 on: November 27, 2013, 04:59:08 AM »

The Law And Jake Wade(1958) re watch on the 50 inch during my re-acquainting with the Western Collection, The High Sierras and the Alabama Hills look gorgeous in Winter. 8/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #12736 on: November 28, 2013, 06:21:19 AM »

Rififi (1955) 10/10
Stakeout on Dope Street (1958) 7/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #12737 on: November 28, 2013, 06:49:26 AM »

isn't Le Cercle Rouge a ripoff of Rififi - and I'm not just talking about the jewel heist?

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12738 on: November 28, 2013, 07:18:04 AM »

Walker - 9/10 - Utterly fucked up but in the best way possible.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #12739 on: November 28, 2013, 08:28:13 AM »

Cop (1988) - 5/10

A terrible waste of James Woods.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12740 on: November 28, 2013, 09:26:42 AM »

isn't Le Cercle Rouge a ripoff of Rififi - and I'm not just talking about the jewel heist?

No it isn't.
I'm not even sure that the heist was borrowed from Rififi. At least I don't remember great similarities between the films.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12741 on: November 28, 2013, 09:47:57 AM »

No it isn't.
I'm not even sure that the heist was borrowed from Rififi. At least I don't remember great similarities between the films.

you have an ex-con just released from prison. Is angry to find out his girl is off with someone else (in LCR, it's his own brother, in Rififi, it's the nightclub owner)... after the elaborate jewel heist, things end out by the house in the country...

btw, Wikipedia says Melville was originally to direct Rififi http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rififi#Development

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12742 on: November 28, 2013, 11:47:13 AM »

The Molly Maguires - 7/10 - Sean Connery organizes 19th Century Pennsylvania coal miners into a terrorist organization; Richard Harris is a detective who infiltrates the gang and gradually sympathizes with them. Slow-moving and dramatically uneven, but good acting and the crushing sense of authenticity makes it work.

Saturday nights with Groggy
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #12743 on: November 29, 2013, 04:22:36 AM »

Caught Stakeout on Dope Street (1958) a few days ago on TCM, a very noir-ish low budget film that was surprisingly good 7/10

Yesterday -
Vengeance Valley 6/10 watchable
China 9 Liberty 37 6/10 on a re watch its OK, has some interesting sequences but also some very pedestrian sequences, the diegetic music is good the soundtrack is mid 70's drek.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 04:36:23 AM by cigar joe » Logged

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12744 on: November 29, 2013, 08:50:16 AM »

Caught Stakeout on Dope Street (1958) a few days ago on TCM, a very noir-ish low budget film that was surprisingly good 7/10

I saw it too... I hate narrated police procedurals but this was among the better ones, I agree with your 7/10 rating. I also hate the war on drugs, which has done more harm than drugs have. I sure as hell don't root for the cops here and don't cry when the cop gets killed any more than the Prohibition movies of a couple of decades earlier

« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 08:43:41 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #12745 on: November 29, 2013, 11:10:50 AM »

Three comedies on BD from Gaumont, all restored, all with English subtitles (for the features only, nothing for the supplements), and all coded for All Regions.

Caroline Cherie (1951) 8/10. An aristocratic beauty (Martine Carol) survives the French Revolution through guile and some judicious bed-hopping, all the while pining for her true love. The dialogue is supplied by Jean Anouilh. Très drôle.

Alexandre le bienheureux (1968) 7/10. A farmer (Phillip Noiret) is kept on a tight leash by his controlling wife. A dog he acquires becomes a point of contention between them. One day the wife dies, and man and dog are ecstatic. Days of indolence follow. Then on the day of the wife's funeral, cute Marlène Jobert arrives in town. She seems just the right match for Alexandre . . . or will she morph into Battle-axe #2? Most of the humor here is visual--Le chien (Kaly) is a very talented performer who does many amusing tricks, and Noiret, of course, really knows how to deadpan--but beyond this the film is a masterpiece of comic editing. The French countryside, beautifully photographed in bright, pastel colors, is a highlight of the BD transfer.  

La Folie des Grandeurs (1971) 2/10. The new Blu-ray release comes with an extra BD disc for supplements, plus a CD of the soundtrack. Too bad the movie absolutely stinks. Yves Montand is badly miscast as a bumbling servant impersonating an aristocrat, part of a scheme by his master, the very unfunny Louis de Funès, who is seeking to regain the favor he has lost at the court of the King of Spain. This is the very worst kind of comedy--silliness without humor.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12746 on: November 29, 2013, 11:19:37 AM »

La Folie des Grandeurs (1971) 2/10. The new Blu-ray release comes with an extra BD disc for supplements, plus a CD of the soundtrack. Too bad the movie absolutely stinks. Yves Montand is badly miscast as a bumbling servant impersonating an aristocrat, part of a scheme by his master, the very unfunny Louis de Funès, who is seeking to regain the favor he has lost at the court of the King of Spain. This is the very worst kind of comedy--silliness without humor.

Oh come on, it's at least a 4. I would rate it 5, and would probably have liked it a lot when it was released. It didn't age well at all, but it's got some of the best De Funès scenes ever, and this guy was far from being unfunny (which makes him very far from being very unfunny).

Some movies (and this is very true for many French comedies, but also for different kind of films like, say, the old Star Wars ones) tend to age "ok" for a long time and then suddenly become difficult to watch without putting on your historian glasses.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #12747 on: November 29, 2013, 11:34:09 AM »

No, there is nothing funny in the film. Absolutely nothing. For a comedy, that is 100% failure.

I allowed 2 points, though, because the soundtrack has value.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #12748 on: November 29, 2013, 12:34:26 PM »

Rebound: The Legend of Earl 'The Goat' Manigault (1996) - 6.5/10

Slow at times, a TV movie yes, but should have been more exciting.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #12749 on: November 30, 2013, 04:37:11 AM »

Slaughter On Tenth Avenue (1957) Three goons gun down Solly Pitts (Mickey Shaughnessy) in the stairwell of his walkup. He was a trouble maker against the Longshoremen's Union racket run by mobster Al Dahlke (Walter Matthau). Before dying, Pitts tells his wife Madge (Jan Sterling) that "'Cockeye Cook and two of his meatballs were the killers. He won't won't repeat it to the police in a formal statement keeping it "in house" within the union since he knows everything is corrupt with the police on the take.

New assistant DA William "Bill" Keating (Richard Eagan) is assigned to the case and he teams up with Charles McGraw who plays Lt. Anthony Vosnick a (bleach blonde mode) former dockworker who has a personal vendetta against meatballs. Dan Duryea plays slimy mob lawyer John Jacob Masters sporting a pencil thin moustache.

Its noir light, but Matthau, McGraw, and Duryea put in stellar performances, Matthau particularly is a hoot. Richard Egan is adequate but his part called for star power, a Glenn Ford, a Bill Powell. Its a good film but Egan isn't quite up to the task he always struck me as sort of just another George Hamilton, presence but not much substance. Still a 7/10 Café au lait Noir with lots of NYC locations.

Pages: 1 ... 848 849 [850] 851 852 ... 1170 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM