Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 10, 2017, 07:22:32 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 853 854 [855] 856 857 ... 1169 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1830090 times)
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #12810 on: December 16, 2013, 03:23:12 PM »

"The Book Thief", really good, one of the better films I've seen in the last 10 years.  Leone-like scene showing soldiers returning without arms or legs like in GBU.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #12811 on: December 17, 2013, 11:14:35 AM »

Sous le soleil de Satan / Under Satan's Sun (1987) 8/10. A suffering priest meets Satan and afterwards has miraculous powers . . . which apparently are a curse. Pialat does Bernanos, and I have a feeling he left some things out. Compelling cinema nonetheless. And an impressive Blu-ray from Gaumont (region free).

French Connection II (1975) 7/10. Man, how I love these French films. In this one a guy in a funny hat who can't speak French helps out the cops in Marseille with some drug busts. He keeps screwing up, though, in fact, he gets hooked on junk himself and has to go cold turkey. Later there's an exciting scene in a flooding drydock that looks cool but is impossible to make sense of. The final chase is a lot of fun, and the conclusion, where Frog One finally gets cowboyed, is one of the great endings in cinema. The Blu-ray looks really, really good.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12812 on: December 17, 2013, 12:47:45 PM »

French Connection II (1975) 7/10. Man, how I love these French films.

Grin

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12813 on: December 17, 2013, 01:31:36 PM »

Did I just see what I thought I saw? Titoli signaling approval at one of my gags? Is the End nigh?

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12814 on: December 17, 2013, 03:35:25 PM »

Did I just see what I thought I saw? Titoli signaling approval at one of my gags? Is the End nigh?

The joke in itself was, as usual, quite lame. But it made me laugh because it caught me off guard as it came after a review of a french movie. BTW I detest that film but I love the memory of the first time I saw it in the cinema, not on my own.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #12815 on: December 18, 2013, 04:13:48 AM »

Pickpocket (1959) 6/10

I can't remember a film – other than Gone with the Wind – whose lead character was as thoroughly unsympathetic and despicable. Of course I'm not saying that a pickpocket is more evil than a murderer, I am just saying that in this movie, I had absolutely zero sympathy for the main character - ot one tiny drop, nothing deep inside me was momentarily rooting for him to carry out his crime, etc. From the very moment he came on screen I was hoping every second that he'd be busted, there wasn't a single triumph that I shared, there wasn't a single setback for which I felt the slightest bit bad for him (with the exception of his mother dying - that's a sad thing from a human aspect; it's sad when anyone loses someone close to them). I don't know why this is – viewers generally root for the main character in a movie, even when he is a bad guy; maybe the movie specifically did it this way, to present the character exactly as he is, not that it should be one of these "movie bad guys" who you root for just cuz it's a movie, but to present a pickpocket exactly as he is, which is a person you would not root for.
I'm just pointing this fact that I noticed, that this is one of the only movies I can remember in which I had zero sympathy for the main character and in fact I despised him as much as I despise the "bad guys" in 'good guy vs. bad guy' movies – I am not saying that's specifically why I didn't like the movie (although perhaps that's a subconscious reason why?)
I just didn't enjoy the movie, that's all. I didn't enjoy the narration, I thought it was annoying, I don't know if it's his voice or his tone or his inflection (or lack thereof); I didn't like the lead character at all – I know it was a non-actor, but many realist-style films use non-actors for lead roles and I enjoy watching them, but I didn't enjoy myself for a moment watching this guy.

There were only two things I liked in this movie: the depictions of the pickpocketing, and the classical music.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12816 on: December 18, 2013, 05:28:03 AM »

The joke in itself was, as usual, quite lame. But it made me laugh because it caught me off guard as it came after a review of a french movie.
But why isn't that the actual joke? Surprise is the very essence of humor.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12817 on: December 18, 2013, 05:55:43 AM »

Quién sabe? / A Bullet For the General (1966) - 7/10. Talk about your gay subtexts! Is there anything that better explains Chuncho's toleration of the gringo than homoerotic attraction? After killing one of his men, Chuncho says he did it to protect the gringo, his friend. But, a gang member asks, wasn't the man he killed also his friend? Chuncho doesn't answer, but the implication is clear: the gringo is his friend in another way. Throughout the film Chuncho is conscious of the gringo watching him; at points he seems to be acting out for the foreigner's benefit, seeking his approval, but willing to settle for his attention. The gringo has a special bullet, an object of veneration, a golden phallus: he will transmute this instrument into golden pesos, demonstrating the man's essential sterility. That the gringo, this obscure object of desire, is also unworthy of Chuncho's interest is only made plain to him at the end. The gringo is a tease, and will never offer more than that to Chuncho. In frustration, Chuncho fires into him, a symbolic rape. Happy to play the role of submissive up to that point, Chuncho suddenly realizes the joys of being a dom. At the end, we see him happier than he's been before--nothing satisfies like release.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12818 on: December 18, 2013, 06:14:45 AM »

But why isn't that the actual joke? Surprise is the very essence of humor.

Yeah, conceded. But I should have also added that I was reading it cursorily as the movie, as said, is not among my favourites.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #12819 on: December 18, 2013, 01:26:32 PM »

3000 Miles to Graceland (2001) - 5/10

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12820 on: December 20, 2013, 07:04:51 AM »

Chinatown (1974) 10/10. Umpteenth viewing. This film is absolutely perfect--well, except for the fact that the clothes and everything look brand new, as if nothing in the picture before the picture had ever been used. Also, the sting at Ida Session's house is mis-cued. But other than that--lighting, camera movements, editing, writing, performances, scoring: immaculate. There are no empty scenes, everything contributes to the plot, although sometimes it isn't immediately clear how (e.g. Burt Young's Curly is introduced in the very first scene but isn't made use of until nearly 2 hours later). And what a great bunch of supporting characters! Many only get one scene but they make the most of it: the bank manager in the barbershop; the mortician with the cough at the city morgue; the snot with the ruler at the Hall of Records; the old folk's home director with the very nasal delivery. Those appearances, brief though they be, are nonetheless indelible.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12821 on: December 20, 2013, 08:38:13 AM »

Chinatown (1974) 10/10. Umpteenth viewing. This film is absolutely perfect--well, except for the fact that the clothes and everything look brand new, as if nothing in the picture before the picture had ever been used. Also, the sting at Ida Session's house is mis-cued. But other than that--lighting, camera movements, editing, writing, performances, scoring: immaculate. There are no empty scenes, everything contributes to the plot, although sometimes it isn't immediately clear how (e.g. Burt Young's Curly is introduced in the very first scene but isn't made use of until nearly 2 hours later). And what a great bunch of supporting characters! Many only get one scene but they make the most of it: the bank manager in the barbershop; the mortician with the cough at the city morgue; the snot with the ruler at the Hall of Records; the old folk's home director with the very nasal delivery. Those appearances, brief though they be, are nonetheless indelible.

the movie played on TCM recently; I dvr'd it but haven't watched it yet.

I've seen it once, a few years ago. I didn't love it, and I thought Faye Dunaway was totally wrong for her role. But I'm definitely gonna watch the recording soon and give it another try.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12822 on: December 20, 2013, 09:37:01 AM »

I thought Faye Dunaway was totally wrong for her role.
She gives an awkward performance, but I think it's appropriate for her character. They did a great job on her hair.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12823 on: December 20, 2013, 09:43:12 AM »

Of Human Bondage (1946) 7/10

This is the second of the three movie versions - it was also made in 1934 with Leslie Howard and Bette Davis, and 1964 with Laurence Harvey and Kim Novak. For some reason, this 1946 version (the only one I've seen) with Paul Henreid and Eleanor Parker has never been released on dvd; I saw it on TCM.

Eleanor Parker (who just died on December 9th, at the age of 91) is absolutely amazing and does an incredible Cockney accent. Paul Henreid is believable as the loser who is obsessed with Parker, despite knowing she hates him, and nearly destroys himself in the process.
Alexis Smith has a nice supporting role. Janis Paige (still with us at 91) has an early, small supporting role.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12824 on: December 20, 2013, 05:04:10 PM »

American Hustle (2013) - 5/10. Like a Scorsese film, only stuffed with cotton wool. Every scene takes forever to play out. Some good performances (and a couple of fun cameos), but what this needed more than anything was a Thelma Schoonmaker to take it from its 138 minutes of bloat down to a svelte 110. The director doesn't have much of a feel for the 70s, either, and the song selection is devoid of imagination (e.g. for the obligatory disco scene we get "I Feel Love").

« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 05:07:46 PM by dave jenkins » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 853 854 [855] 856 857 ... 1169 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM