Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 15, 2017, 07:18:24 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 855 856 [857] 858 859 ... 1170 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1838050 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #12840 on: December 24, 2013, 10:11:48 AM »

Well, the thing I found annoying about the film (besides that it went on too long, and that there were too many scenes where characters just vented their emotions at others) is that it sort of became a Law and Order episode where we keep getting twists regarding who the actual perp is. So something bad has happened, and naturally the characters want to fix blame, but then it turns out that there is no simple explanation, and the locus of responsibility keeps shifting. In one way this is more true to life than what happens in most melodramas. But on the other hand, it's dramatically unsatisfying. Finally, the filmmaker is so committed to not fixing responsibility that by the end the principals are away somewhere and we spend the final scene with secondary characters, one of whom we've never even seen until then (though she had been much talked about). And that scene ends ambiguously. It's clear why: the film has got to end, but the story can go on forever. Farhadi wants the audience to supply his deficiencies. Needless to say, Chekhov never worked that way.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #12841 on: December 24, 2013, 03:06:46 PM »

yeah the story was very unsatisfying... and ambiguous endings for the sake of ambiguous endings are stupid. I was disappointed in how the story went; the only reason I gave it a 7.5/10 is cuz of the performances.... some were great, some very good, there wasn't a single bad performance from anyone who appeared on the screen. The little kids were amazing.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12842 on: December 24, 2013, 03:41:33 PM »

The little kids were amazing.
Yeah, disquietingly so. Do they have a farm in France where they breed and train these things?

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12843 on: December 24, 2013, 05:06:47 PM »

Yeah, disquietingly so. Do they have a farm in France where they breed and train these things?

I wish.

Our kids aren't great actors, usually. Most kids in american movies play much better than our A list adult actors. However, those ones are really amazing. The latest kid to give such a great performance to my knowledge was the girl in Tomboy http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1847731/

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12844 on: December 25, 2013, 01:08:05 AM »

Border Incident - 7/10 - Early Anthony Mann flick, a docudrama about illegal Mexican immigrants and the criminals on both sides of the border who exploit them. Surprisingly hasn't dated all that much, though it's a bit slow and draggy at times. Wonderful John Alton photography, some great set pieces (the final showdown in the quicksand) and excellent performances by Ricardo Montalban and Charles McGraw make it worth watching.

just saw this movie on TCM; I give it a 7/10

I can't get excited about Ricardo Montalban as an actor. I don't know why anyone would give him a leading role (unless it's maybe cuz he worked cheap?) Does anyone ever look at a movie's cast and say, "Ricardo Montalban is in this - damn, I gotta see this!" ?

Charles McGraw, on the other hand... one of the great bad guys in movie history. Howard Da Silva is also really good.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12845 on: December 25, 2013, 11:34:35 PM »

American Hustle (2013) 6/10

This is the first movie I've seen Jennifer Lawrence in, and I was very disappointed in her performance. I'm not saying it was awful, but not what I'd expected from an Oscar winner I've heard so much about.

Amy Adams, an actress I like very much, was not as good as she usually is.

Bradley Cooper and Jeremy Renner were alright.

The only really good performance comes from Christian Bale. You know how much weight Bale lost for The Machinist and The Fighter? Well it looks like he gained weight for this movie. It's definitely not like Robert De Niro in Raging Bull, but there are two scenes where Bale's belly is showing, with just enough plumpness to convey that he is an out-of-shape dude.

I didn't like the camerawork at all. Felt like some scenes were shot with documentary-like style - not necessarily a bad thing in general, but I didn't like it here. Also, the camera simply does not sit still, to an annoying extent - I generally love a moving camera, I hate when a movie is shot with stationary cameras, but this movie overdoes it like crazy.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 03:09:40 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12846 on: December 26, 2013, 02:51:04 AM »

In my eyes, Farhadi is one of the most interesting new directors around.

What's interesting in him? I have absolutely nothing against him and he doesn't do anything "wrong", like you say, but he doesn't do anything right either in my book.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #12847 on: December 26, 2013, 03:13:08 AM »

What's interesting in him? I have absolutely nothing against him and he doesn't do anything "wrong", like you say, but he doesn't do anything right either in my book.
Interesting in the sense that I wanna keep track on what he's doing. He has potential that hopefully will soon produce a masterpiece. Obviously he is a great actors' director, his work speaks for itself. And I like the kind of stories he tells: contemporary drama films with moral dilemmas that I can relate to. Also his style, although simple and "nothing special", is still effective and thought-out.

I guess promising would be a better word than interesting.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12848 on: December 26, 2013, 03:29:24 AM »

Interesting in the sense that I wanna keep track on what he's doing. He has potential that hopefully will soon produce a masterpiece. Obviously he is a great actors' director, his work speaks for itself. And I like the kind of stories he tells: contemporary drama films with moral dilemmas that I can relate to. Also his style, although simple and "nothing special", is still effective and thought-out.

I guess promising would be a better word than interesting.

His only movie I have seen is The Past , and I agree that he seems to be a good actors' director and/or has a good eye for casting; and I like that he does drama films (even though family stuff is not my favorite drama topic), so yes, even though the story of The Past really disappointed me, I would say that he's a guy I can keep my eye on.

HOWEVER, and this is gonna be a little bit of a spoiler on The Past, I sure hope he doesn't continue with that nonsense  he did in The Past of not having an ending; as DJ said, he wanted the audience to fill in for his deficiencies. What about A Separation - is there a real ending to that movie?

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12849 on: December 26, 2013, 07:40:17 AM »

The Wolf of Wall Street (2013) - 10/10. Martin Fucking Scorsese: can you believe this fucking guy?. His 3 hour film felt like only 90 fucking minutes. Abso-fucking-lutely hilarious. I laughed my fucking ass off all the way through. It's a fucking masterpiece!

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12850 on: December 26, 2013, 02:00:14 PM »

RE: THE WOLF OF WALL STREET: The ads only show them partying. What about once he gets busted? Is that also played for laughs all the way through?

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12851 on: December 26, 2013, 05:00:01 PM »

RE: THE WOLF OF WALL STREET: The ads only show them partying. What about once he gets busted? Is that also played for laughs all the way through?
No, that's when the film ends. Well, there's an ellipsis, and then you get his final fate, after he gets out of jail.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12852 on: December 26, 2013, 05:04:24 PM »

The Wolf of Wall Street (2013) - 10/10. Martin Fucking Scorsese: can you believe this fucking guy?. His 3 hour film felt like only 90 fucking minutes. Abso-fucking-lutely hilarious. I laughed my fucking ass off all the way through. It's a fucking masterpiece!

So you're fucking saying I should see this piece of shit instead of American Fucking Hustle, you fuckin' momo?

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12853 on: December 26, 2013, 05:06:55 PM »

So you're fucking saying I should see this piece of shit instead of American Fucking Hustle, you fuckin' momo?
Fuckin' A!

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12854 on: December 26, 2013, 07:36:50 PM »

No, that's when the film ends. Well, there's an ellipsis, and then you get his final fate, after he gets out of jail.

so you basically see him partying for three hours and then at the end they tell you, "oh, btw he went to jail"?

Pages: 1 ... 855 856 [857] 858 859 ... 1170 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM