Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2017, 10:15:50 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 857 858 [859] 860 861 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1764444 times)
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12870 on: December 28, 2013, 04:31:13 PM »

Inside Llewyn Davis - 8/10
Really liked it. The Coens killed it with their most linear-feeling, low-key movie yet, and then flipped the switch with another mind-fuddling ending which brings the film to a whole new level (as long as I'm not over analyzing things). Llewyn feels like the biggest asshole ever written by the Coens, yet is actually their most real and genuine character to date. The fact that I consider this their lower tier of work is why the Coens are two of the greatest filmmakers alive - yet I still don't consider anything they've done to be a masterpiece. This will only get better with more viewings. This reminds me most of a mix of Barton Fink and A Serious Man which are two of my favorites by them.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #12871 on: December 28, 2013, 04:54:01 PM »

Nice job Mr. Frenchman. Mr. English Teacher and Mr. Read Three Books A Week should be ashamed of themselves for needing to have you explain a simple bit of English to them. To like something DESPITE Element X means Element X bothers you. To like ssomething REGARDLESS of Element X means Element X makes no difference to you whatsoever, it's not a plus or minus either way. You ought to take English lessons from noodles_Leone

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #12872 on: December 28, 2013, 05:12:02 PM »

Llewyn feels like the biggest asshole ever written by the Coens, yet is actually their most real and genuine character to date.
Perhaps. And that's why I identify with him more than any other Coen character ever, including:

Barton Fink - 9/10
First viewing. Mind blowing.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12873 on: December 28, 2013, 05:15:41 PM »

Barton Fink - 9/10
First viewing. Mind blowing.
That's my favorite Coen Bros. movie

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #12874 on: December 28, 2013, 07:36:22 PM »

Llewyn feels like the biggest asshole ever written by the Coens, yet is actually their most real and genuine character to date.
I disagree with the first part of your statement, I wholly embrace the second part. Why is Llewyn an asshole? He's just a normal guy under pressure, sometimes kind (his ridiculous concern for cats), sometimes unkind (his mistreatment of women). He's just a regular guy. There's a chip on his shoulder because he knows he's talented and he can't catch a break, but that's perfectly understandable. Someone like Ben Stiller's Greenberg is an asshole, always taking from others as if it were his due. But Llewyn? I don't see that at all.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #12875 on: December 28, 2013, 08:55:04 PM »

CASQUE D'OR 7.5/10

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12876 on: December 29, 2013, 12:58:39 AM »

I disagree with the first part of your statement, I wholly embrace the second part. Why is Llewyn an asshole? He's just a normal guy under pressure, sometimes kind (his ridiculous concern for cats), sometimes unkind (his mistreatment of women). He's just a regular guy. There's a chip on his shoulder because he knows he's talented and he can't catch a break, but that's perfectly understandable. Someone like Ben Stiller's Greenberg is an asshole, always taking from others as if it were his due. But Llewyn? I don't see that at all.
By 'feels' like I mean 'initially seems like'. He's so real/genuine that just because he gets irritated and yells at people, he seems like an asshole. That's only because we're not used to characters like that in movies. But when you think about it, he's really not an asshole at all. He's a regular person.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #12877 on: December 29, 2013, 03:41:10 AM »

Dallas Buyers Club off a SAG screener, Matthew McConaughey, homophobes, AIDS, trannys, who cares.  You got to wonder who green lights these weepy modern mellers.

One of those formulaic films about afflictions, impediments, etc., etc., that crawl out of the wood work around awards time, give us a break.

Give us back the good old studio system. I feel asleep once he started traveling around buying experimental drugs, so I don't know how it ended. A yawner. Glad I didn't pay in any way for it.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #12878 on: December 29, 2013, 06:15:05 AM »

Dallas Buyers Club off a SAG screener
Are you a SAG member?

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12879 on: December 29, 2013, 11:04:23 AM »

Well, they can't all be Gangster Squad.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12880 on: December 29, 2013, 11:09:20 AM »

God Rot Tunbridge Wells! - 7?/10 - John Osborne-penned, made-for-TV biopic of G.F. Handel, gamely impersonated by Trevor Howard at his hammy, irascible best. The easiest description is an illustrated radio play: the entire film is narrated by Howard, accompanied by visual representations of key points in Handel's life and career. And lots of Handel music. Can't say I wasn't entertained, but it's hard to judge on cinematic terms.

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12881 on: December 29, 2013, 11:39:24 AM »

By 'feels' like I mean 'initially seems like'. He's so real/genuine that just because he gets irritated and yells at people, he seems like an asshole. That's only because we're not used to characters like that in movies. But when you think about it, he's really not an asshole at all. He's a regular person.
OK, yeah, put that way, I'm with you 100%.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12882 on: December 29, 2013, 11:40:55 AM »

Well, they can't all be Gangster Squad.
So true! I see your irony, and raise you.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12883 on: December 29, 2013, 11:54:23 AM »

Hopscotch (1980) 6/10. Walter Matthau plays an aging CIA field agent who, rather than take a desk job, goes rogue. Hilarity ensues--or, I think it was supposed to. But the film, directed by Ronald Neame, is so devoid of dramatic tension that actual laughter is rarely educed. All the plot points are telegraphed. And then take forever to play out. In spite of this/Regardless of this [note to Drink: there is no difference in meaning if one uses either of these expressions] the movie is rather a pleasant watch, and I'm not sure why. Matthau and Glenda Jackson have a nice chemistry, but they're hardly ever on screen together. I guess it's Matthau himself that puts the film over; he is the master of the hang-dog expression, and it never gets old.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #12884 on: December 29, 2013, 06:46:55 PM »

Are you a SAG member?

No not me, my wife is a member of SAG/AFTRA.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Pages: 1 ... 857 858 [859] 860 861 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM