Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 16, 2017, 11:56:52 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 859 860 [861] 862 863 ... 1161 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1758838 times)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #12900 on: December 31, 2013, 02:09:23 AM »

The Age of Innocence (1934) 7.5/10 [TCM]

I haven't yet seen the Scorsese version, but it's near the top of my Netflix queue.

This is the second Irene Dunne movie I've seen [the other was Ann Vickers (1933)]; she's a terrific actress. I'm definitely gonna try to watch more of her movies.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 03:30:28 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12901 on: December 31, 2013, 02:46:38 AM »

Zero Dark Thirty 7/10

I suspect the rating can only go down with multiple viewings. Great subject well acted so it has to be ok, but the execution is average. I don't like the main character: I'm all for people dedicated to their job but I would have fired her without hesitation, and rightly so. She's not dedicated she's crazy. She does not base her work on logical deduction but on what she wants to be true. Oh and to get what she wants she argues that God kept her alive so she can carry on the mission. Knowing that people who think like that have more or less absolute power in many areas of the world and are backed by the biggest intelligence budget ever is one scary thing.

Cool dialogues here and there that really add life to the film as well as to the characters ("They killed my monkeys. They told me they escaped. Can you fucking believe that?")

The last 30 minutes are powerful. They would have worked better if we hadn't already read as much as we did about that night. I always wondered how they managed to crash an helicopter during the operation, now I know: they were prototypes.

In the end, I wish a real director like Scorsese or Fincher would have done this film. This mockymentary style is done well enough to look professional but not well enough to qualify as cinema to me.

SPOILER:
I still cannot believe that camp Chapman attack. I read about it on wikipedia and it seems that things happened like what you see in the movie. If that's true, I don't want to offence the families of the victims but the USA didn't lose their most valuable agents that day.
Also, the movie did everything it could to make you expect a trap, which isn't a good idea either. With such an obvious set up they should have clearly shown us the preparation of the trap so that the audience would have been sad about the future loss instead of being ashamed by the stupidity of the characters and the scene.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12902 on: December 31, 2013, 03:26:55 AM »

Zero Dark Thirty 7/10

I suspect the rating can only go down with multiple viewings. Great subject well acted so it has to be ok, but the execution is average. I don't like the main character: I'm all for people dedicated to their job but I would have fired her without hesitation, and rightly so. She's not dedicated she's crazy. She does not base her work on logical deduction but on what she wants to be true. Oh and to get what she wants she argues that God kept her alive so she can carry on the mission. Knowing that people who think like that have more or less absolute power in many areas of the world and are backed by the biggest intelligence budget ever is one scary thing.

Cool dialogues here and there that really add life to the film as well as to the characters ("They killed my monkeys. They told me they escaped. Can you fucking believe that?")

The last 30 minutes are powerful. They would have worked better if we hadn't already read as much as we did about that night. I always wondered how they managed to crash an helicopter during the operation, now I know: they were prototypes.

In the end, I wish a real director like Scorsese or Fincher would have done this film. This mockymentary style is done well enough to look professional but not well enough to qualify as cinema to me.

SPOILER:
I still cannot believe that camp Chapman attack. I read about it on wikipedia and it seems that things happened like what you see in the movie. If that's true, I don't want to offence the families of the victims but the USA didn't lose their most valuable agents that day.
Also, the movie did everything it could to make you expect a trap, which isn't a good idea either. With such an obvious set up they should have clearly shown us the preparation of the trap so that the audience would have been sad about the future loss instead of being ashamed by the stupidity of the characters and the scene.

I gave the movie an 8/10, but I did not think Jessica Chastain was great. I know some of you seem to love her as an actress (or maybe it's her looks), but I don't think she is great in either department.

As to that suicide attack you mention: of course, hindsight is 20/20 and it seems pretty crazy, but I am a firm believer in tight security and that trying to be super-friendly to a (potential) enemy never works. The problem with certain people in government is that they view the Islamists as other enemies - people you can reason with, negotiate with, make nice to, or incentivize to see things your way. Problem is, these bastards don't see it that way they follow a book that declares (or has been interpreted to declare) that Christians and Jews are the absolute enemy and have to be destroyed. And they want their 72 virgins. They are an enemy that not only is not afraid to die, they actually in some cases want to die. So, all precautions have to be taken, they cannot be viewed as normal people I mean, the fucking Pakistanis, who supposedly were aiding us in the war on terror, knew exactly where Osama bin Laden was all this time, so fuck them all no special gestures like letting them in without doing a security check on the car. Yes, a terrible tragic mistake.

RE: Chastain not basing her work on logic: I imagine that intelligence work is not about logic, but about gut feelings. Gut feelings based on data and experience and brains. If the story is true as it happened if it was really one young girl who made this thing happen (and I don't know if we will ever really know) then bravo to her. In intelligence work, it's probably very rare that you get a sure thing, like, "WE KNOW THIS GUY IS HIDING HERE." It's probably often a combination of bits of information, knowledge of tendencies, and to fill in the holes, you use your experience and knowledge and training to make a gut feeling - and if the gut feeling is right, glory to you, and if it is wrong, then you get fired or don't get promoted, or at least don't have movies made about you  Wink

RE: your comment about Chastain believing God kept her alive to carry on the mission, and that these are the people we have in government/intelligence, etc: I think you misinterpret it and worry for nothing: She didn't mean that she is a prophet or some sort of religious zealot on a religious killing crusade. What she meant was, God puts us all on Earth for a reason, for a mission, and even in a seemingly random event like a bombing, God is the one who decides who shall live and who shall die, for a reason, and perhaps God kept her alive to accomplish this mission.
The point is  that she knew she was in a position where she could accomplish a very important thing in the world, and she has to continue to fight on and can't give up now that her friend has died. Whether are religious or not, you should be able to get behind the idea that she knew she was in a position to do this great thing for humanity and she felt she had to go on and couldn't give up.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 03:29:40 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #12903 on: December 31, 2013, 03:59:18 AM »

Isn't there a better shot of her at 1:06?

Yea, that was just the first time you spot her.  It's the same with that other trailer you see her in glimpses throughout.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12904 on: December 31, 2013, 06:39:35 AM »

THE CONSTANT NYMPH (1943) 8.5/10 ..... Great performances up and down the line. Toward the end, I starteed feeling like Fontaine's performance was too much acting and didn't feel natural, but far be it from me to say anything negative about her, she's a wonderful actress and was terrific here as always ............................................. SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS ...... so do you think that the whole reason Fontaine tried to make Boyer fall in love with her was so that she could say no, break his heart, and then he would become a great musician? .... Aso, I think her dying was sort of a cop out, to get rid of her conveniently forever, so Boyer and Smith could live happily ever after. Couldn't Fontaine have just gone away, thereby ensuring Boyer would have broken heart and would. And therefore always be a great musician? I don't see why she had to die just to wrap up everything nicely and ensure that Smith never feels any further competition ever again.......... END OF SPOILERS.... Anyway, this was a wonderful movie, every important actor was terrific, good times. And the makeup department did a great job, Fontaine really does look like a young teen.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12905 on: December 31, 2013, 07:44:46 AM »

CALIGULA LOL/10

Only the first 30 minutes. But LOL.

www.ThibautOskian.com
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12906 on: December 31, 2013, 08:58:38 AM »

I already told you you're not allowed to rate a movie till you see the whole thing ;-)

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12907 on: December 31, 2013, 09:01:26 AM »

I already told you you're not allowed to rate a movie till you see the whole thing ;-)

Smiley

Seriously, just watch it. But not with children.

www.ThibautOskian.com
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12908 on: December 31, 2013, 09:30:35 AM »

HEAVEN KNOWS, MR. ALLISON (1957) 8/10... Someone must have seen BLACK NARCISSUS and decided Deborah Kerr looks hot in a nun's clothes (what're they called?), so why not try it again?... Kerr and Robert Mitchum play a nun and a Marine marooned on a Pacific island during WWII... Good times. DON'T SIT UNDER THE APPLE TREE, WITH ANYONE ELSE BUT ME....

« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 11:52:52 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12909 on: December 31, 2013, 09:31:45 AM »

... ANYONE ELSE BUT ME...

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12910 on: December 31, 2013, 09:32:26 AM »

.... ANYONE ELSE BUT ME...

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12911 on: December 31, 2013, 09:33:40 AM »

... DON'T SIT UNDER THE APPLE TREE WITH ANYONE ELSE BUT ME, TILL I COME MARCHING HOME. :-)

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #12912 on: December 31, 2013, 12:04:42 PM »

Zero Dark Thirty 7/10

SPOILER:
Good notes. Why weren't you at the story conferences?

That's what you get, Drink, for lying in the middle of the road.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #12913 on: December 31, 2013, 04:59:32 PM »

Captain Phillips (2013) another SAG screener,  shaky cam shit, hate that style when it's overused.  Tongue

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12914 on: December 31, 2013, 05:43:45 PM »

Zero Dark Thirty 7/10

SPOILER:

We're seeing the War on Terror from the American perspective - and once Chastain enters the picture, from her perspective. If the camera would go into the terrorist's hideout or camp or cave or wherever they operate and show us what's being planned, that would change the perspective to something the Americans and Chastain can't see. I'm fine with it being as it is. And I can be sad about the loss of lives even when it seems that the victims should have taken more precautions. War is a very ugly business. Aside from the "big picture winners and losers," there are a lot of individual stories, individual mistakes, bad decisions, regrets in hindsight, etc. Even if you run a brilliant war, you'll make at least a hundred mistakes. I am no less saddened by the loss of life over a mistake; and if that's how the attack actually happened, and how it appeared from the American perspective, then I have no problem with them showing it that way.

Pages: 1 ... 859 860 [861] 862 863 ... 1161 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM