Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2017, 09:48:34 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 866 867 [868] 869 870 ... 1170 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1843611 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #13005 on: January 15, 2014, 06:42:23 AM »

La calda vita / The Warm Life (1964) - 6/10. Ripley's Home Video DVD (English dub). It's L'avventura for teens! Catherine Spaak combines both the Lea Massari and Monica Vitti roles, and we finally find out how the girl got off the island (she swam). Still, things are just a bit too languid until Gabriele Ferzetti (and his toupee) finally show up. Not a great film, but it kept me watching. The pop tune at the end is fantastic (is it "Non niente"?), and was intoned by Ms. Spaak herself.

Thief (1981) Plot and direction: 8/10. Lighting and photography: 10/10. Transfer to Criterion Blu-ray: 11/10. A note on the score: the stuff Tangerine Dream wrote for the film works well (especially for the heist scenes). For the final sequence, though, Michael Mann threw out TD's music and had some shlub do ersatz Pink Floyd (and not good Pink Floyd, either). It pretty much ruins the big shootout at the end.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #13006 on: January 15, 2014, 08:55:05 AM »

The more I think about THE REMAINS OF THE DAY, the more I realize that not only was the love stuff unnecessary, it was silly.... I can understand a servant being so subservient to his master that he ignores the terrible things going on in the house, but being so devoted as to not pursue a woman? As if pursuing a woman would be cheating on his master??? That's friggin stupid. Purely cinematic shtick. The butler and housekeeper could have even gotten married, and that wouldn't change the tragedy of the butler being so dedicated to his master as to ignore what was going on inside the house. Heck, they SHOULD have shown them getting married, but the butler PRIORITIZING his master over his wife (eg. leaving his wife late one nite, maybe when she is in labor, when the master needed something), and perhaps shown that leading to their divorce or something.... But the butler not even pursuing the woman at all?Huh? That is overkill..... But it's still a really goood movie and I maintain my rating of 9/10

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13007 on: January 15, 2014, 10:05:42 AM »

The more I think about THE REMAINS OF THE DAY, the more I realize that not only was the love stuff unnecessary, it was silly.... I can understand a servant being so subservient to his master that he ignores the terrible things going on in the house, but being so devoted as to not pursue a woman? As if pursuing a woman would be cheating on his master??? That's friggin stupid. Purely cinematic shtick. The butler and housekeeper could have even gotten married, and that wouldn't change the tragedy of the butler being so dedicated to his master as to ignore what was going on inside the house. Heck, they SHOULD have shown them getting married, but the butler PRIORITIZING his master over his wife (eg. leaving his wife late one nite, maybe when she is in labor, when the master needed something), and perhaps shown that leading to their divorce or something.... But the butler not even pursuing the woman at all?Huh? That is overkill..... But it's still a really goood movie and I maintain my rating of 9/10
Nuts! You are completely bonkers! The film sucks, you have nattered on at nauseating length detailing all the film's failings--very significant, world-destroying failings--and still you want to stick with that "9"? Seek professional help, Drink, this board is not equipped to handle problems like yours.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13008 on: January 15, 2014, 04:39:28 PM »

the fact is that the (vast) majority of the film focuses on the relationship with the boss, not with the woman (the woman stuff is mainly at the end, in the framing device); so I can still greatly enjoy the movie.

If this issue had bothered me when I saw the movie as much as it bothers me now, I can imagine that my rating perhaps may have been lowered 1 point, but I don't think I could have given this anything less than an 8/10. It is still a beautiful movie that is mostly about something I can agree with

« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 10:08:26 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13009 on: January 15, 2014, 10:08:54 PM »

Fort Apache, the Bronx (1981) 7.5/10

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13010 on: January 16, 2014, 01:48:18 AM »

THE LOCKET (1946) 6.5/10 . I saw this on TCM; the print is a little messed up; there's one moment where it's clear that a couple of seconds are missing, cuz Robert Mitchum is doing voice-over narration and as the scene starts, Mitchum is mid-sentence.) The ending annoyed me. Way over the top. This is a case where the dumb ending makes the whole story stupid, cuz what happens at the end is an essential key to the story (unlike eg. RED RIVER, in which I can separate the great movie from the last dumb scene.) However, that doesn't change the fact that I did enjoy the first 95% of the film. So, I give it a 6.5/10, which is my highest rating for a movie that I would NOT say is a "good movie."...... The acting by the three leads (Laraine Day, Robert Mitchum, and whoever that guy is that played the doctor) is solid.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13011 on: January 16, 2014, 04:53:14 AM »

The Asphalt Jungle (1950) 8.5/10 (second viewing; DVD). Jean Hagen may be the most annoying person to watch in Hollywood history - (she looks like she is retarded half the time, smiling for no reason at all. That's what mentally challeneged people do - they just smile all day for no reason. And that's not the half of what's bad about her.....) although her performance here isn't even a quarter as awful as in SIDE STREET, where she turned what was a very good role - a great opportunity for an actress to deliver a memorable performance - into what is IMO the single-worst performance by an actress in movie history..... But enough about that piece of manure..... This is a terrific film.... There isn't as much time spent on the planning/carrying out the heist itself, as would later heist films, like Rififi and Grand Slam. Here, it's really about the drama of what happens AFTER the heist. But, so far as I know, this is  the earliest movie about a single caper; so the subsequent Heist Films may all owe a debt to The Asphalt Jungle..... I also noticed that there's very little music in the movie; aside from the juke-box scene with the teenaged girl at the end, is there any music at all?..... Of course, the most memorable performance in the film is the brilliant, Oscar-nominated job by Sam Jaffe as Doc Riedenschneider... Sterling Hayden was good, as always (except for Johnny Guitar  Wink ) I also liked James Whitmore as Gus and Marc Lawrence as Cobby (he's enough of a loser to be convincing as a wannabe big shot who can't quite cut it. Louis Calhern is serviceable, nothing special, as Emmerich.... And of course, there is the small, early supporting performance by Marilyn Monroe. YIPE!

« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 05:07:11 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13012 on: January 16, 2014, 06:14:44 AM »

I don't understand your objection to Jean Hagen in this. She's supposed to be semi-retarded/annoying. That's the character she's playing. So if she gets to you that means she's delivered a great performance. She's not being herself; she's putting it all on (note what she does in Singin in the Rain). So, because she's a good actress, her performance is bad? You are confusing character and performer.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13013 on: January 16, 2014, 01:15:54 PM »

a good actress can play a weird character without grating on the viewer

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13014 on: January 16, 2014, 03:00:35 PM »

a good actress can play a weird character without grating on the viewer
Without grating on the average viewer. With nuts like you, who knows?

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13015 on: January 16, 2014, 04:14:45 PM »

what's considered "average" when it comes to art? Do you care about "average" in deciding whether you like something?  Wink

I gotta admit that after seeing her in Side Street - in which she delivers maybe the worst performance in movie history - LITERALLY - I have a thing against her. No doubt.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13016 on: January 16, 2014, 09:31:14 PM »

Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence - 8/10 - I suspect even Titoli could spot the gay subtext in this one.

Saturday nights with Groggy
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13017 on: January 17, 2014, 02:08:49 PM »

THE WAY WE WERE 8.5/10 ..... sadly, there was no gay subtext in this one. Perhaps I'll catch it with repeated viewings

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #13018 on: January 17, 2014, 06:03:20 PM »

Cry of the City (1948) 9/10

« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 06:17:13 PM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13019 on: January 18, 2014, 08:25:43 AM »

Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit (2014) - 6/10. IMAX. So, this Ryan guy (Chris Pine) is working on Wall St., but he's also working for the CIA. In the middle of the day he decides he needs to meet his agency contact, and apparently the place for clandestine mid-day Manhattan meet-ups is Film Forum! We get a nice exterior of the FF's marquee, but weirdly there's only one movie playing. It's Sorry, Wrong Number, and that's interesting 'cause the FF did just recently have a Stanwyck retrospective. But then we get this interior shot of Ryan in the theater--and Drink, you're gonna love this--it's got stadium seating, massive leg room, ultra-comfy chairs, and a decent-sized screen (we weren't there long enough to get a bead on the sound system)!!! Well, the only response to this scene is "Bravo Sierra." And that pretty much sums up my feeling about the film as a whole. But, for an extremely formulaic techno-thriller, it was kinda entertaining.

Pages: 1 ... 866 867 [868] 869 870 ... 1170 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM