Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2017, 06:12:17 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 867 868 [869] 870 871 ... 1170 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1839852 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #13020 on: January 18, 2014, 03:48:20 PM »

Io la conoscevo bene (1965) - 9/10. An amazing lead performance (Stefania Sandrelli's) in an amazing film (Antonio Pietrangeli's). Only the ending disappoints. The restoration seems flawless: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVkGVdG8Ktk

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #13021 on: January 18, 2014, 10:06:58 PM »

BABY DOLL 7.5/10 ..... The acting is terrific. The dinner scene at the end is hilarious

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #13022 on: January 19, 2014, 03:06:23 AM »

BABY DOLL 7.5/10 ..... The acting is terrific. The dinner scene at the end is hilarious

agreed.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13023 on: January 19, 2014, 03:11:18 AM »

Baby Doll, just like A Face in the Crowd, is a Kazan film I clearly prefer to On the Waterfront

« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 04:10:50 AM by stanton » Logged

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13024 on: January 19, 2014, 03:11:26 AM »

agreed.

every time Karl Malden screams, "FOOD! FOOD!"  Grin Grin I laughed so hard, there were tears streaming down my face and I was having difficulty breathing

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13025 on: January 19, 2014, 03:18:52 AM »

Baby Doll, just like A Face in the Crowd, is a Kazan films I clearly prefer to On the Waterfront

Nooooooo.

IMO, his greatest movie was A Streetcar Named Desire, followed by On the Waterfront... I've also seen A Face in the Crowd, Splendor in the Grass, Gentleman's Agreement, Pinky, Panic in the Streets, America America, Baby Doll, East of Eden, and Viva Zapata!

I's have to search through this thread to find my ratings of all those movies.... but the only one that I remember not liking was East of Eden.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 03:44:56 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13026 on: January 19, 2014, 08:04:40 AM »

Bartleby (1972) - 7/10 - Herman Melville's Bartleby the Scrivener strikes me as one of the least likely candidates for cinematic adaptation. Yet I'm aware of at least four movie versions. This version updates to modern London, stars Paul Scofield and John McEnery and features some neat direction, so there's some interest beyond the rather awkward attempts to literalize such a symbolic story. So if you're dying to see Bartleby's existential futility onscreen, this may be the one to catch. Unless, of course, you'd prefer not to.

Saturday nights with Groggy
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #13027 on: January 19, 2014, 08:22:44 PM »

Time Table (1956) Mark Stevens train robbery flick, entertaining 6-7/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13028 on: January 20, 2014, 07:49:48 PM »

The Two Mrs. Carrolls (1947) 7/10 (TCM)

I bet I know what Eddie Muller would say about this film. He'd probably say: This is commonly called a noir, but I would classify it as a "woman in crisis" film, such as Rebecca and Gaslight."

(Barbara Stanwyck has always been an actress I've just tolerated; I can enjoy her movies despite her.) Humphrey Bogart's performance here was very much criticized. I loved Alexis Smith as always, in a supporting role here.

There is this hilariously ridiculous role of a little girl... Now, the movie is set in the UK, but of course Bogie and Stanwych use their normal accents. Nevertheless, they decide that this little girl playing Bogie's young daughter should try to fake a British accent. It is soooooo bad, it's funny! (And it's actually a shame, cuz the little girl is a good actress.) And the dialogue written for this litle girl sound like it could have been written for an adult - yes, they have this little girl saying words only an adult would say (a brief statement by one adult (paraphrasing) "she's like having another adult around the house" is unsatisfactory to explain why a girl that's 7 years old is using words only a girl of 27 would use.

Courtesy of wikipedia, here is a newspaper ad and review of the film from 1947 - but it's full of spoilers http://goo.gl/Nr6PTX

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13029 on: January 20, 2014, 08:06:54 PM »

Shalako - 6/10 - Bland British Western based on a Louis L'Amour novel. Its main failing is doing as little with its nifty premise as possible. European hunters out West is a cool idea, but the leads could just as easily be wayward settlers for all the difference it makes. Earns a few points for Almerian scenery and some good action scenes, namely the camp raid midway through and the Sean Connery-Woody Strode lance duel. Not bad, just uninspired.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 08:21:48 PM by Groggy » Logged

Saturday nights with Groggy
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13030 on: January 21, 2014, 08:58:49 PM »

1) The Jackie Robinson Story (1950) 7/10 - with Jackie Robinson playing himself

The TCM print was really bad, I might have enjoyed it more and rated it higher if it had looked better

2) Faithless (1932) 7.5/10 (TCM)

Society gal Tallulah Bankhead gets engaged to working man Robert Montgomery. She wants him to quit his job and live the good life with her; he doesn't want to be known as "the man who married the millionaire's granddaughter," and wants them both to live on his $20,000-a-year salary in the advertising business. This issue causes them to two break up.

But no, this is not another "inter-class marriage" movie (a sub-genre I have little use for). This is a Depression story. Because....

Soon thereafter, the Depression leaves each of them broke and jobless; they eventually meet again and get married, and she resolves to do whatever it takes to put food on the table. Whatever it takes...

« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 09:32:52 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13031 on: January 21, 2014, 11:43:59 PM »

BLOOD ON THE MOON (1948) 6.5/10 (TCM)... Pretty standard b/w Western, good-guy vs. bad-guys/cattle men vs. homesteaders plus corrupt Indian agent storyline.. Having Robert Mitchum and Walter Brennan elevates this somewhat; Barbara Bel Geddes has a supporting role as the spunky cowgirl daughter of the chief cattleman. (In her first scene, she's (off camera) hiding behind a tree and firing at an unsuspecting Mitchum; he then sneaks behind her and shoots the heel off her cowboy boot!) So, the cast makes this somewhat better than the usual crap, but this is pretty much a run-of-the-mill Western. There's lots of dark night scenes, so for those of you who like noir lighting in a Western may wanna note that

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13032 on: January 22, 2014, 02:27:47 AM »

Blood on the Moon a run of the mill western?  Usual crap? I'm surprised.

There is a lot more in it which elevates it over most of the other 40s and 50s western.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #13033 on: January 22, 2014, 04:18:20 AM »

It's a noir Western.  Afro

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13034 on: January 22, 2014, 07:59:09 AM »

Yes CJ, as I mentioned, there's lots of night scenes, has that noir look, but I wouldn't call it a "noir Western" - in the way STATION WEST is a real noir Western, with a real noir story. BLOOD ON THE MOON is only noir in its look, with the b/w night scenes; but the story is classic Western. Maybe you could call Mitchum somewhat of a noir character with a conflicted past or whatever, but IMO that is going a little crazy. This is a regular Western with some noir lighting.... And yes, stanton, IMO the only thing that elevates this movie slightly above run of the mill AW's is the solid cast. Otherwise, it's the typical land squabble, rancher vs. homesteader, good guy vs. bad guy stuff. Nothing special in how it's made, not a single scene in which I said "Wow," yes, IMO this is a run of the mill Western with a very solid cast

Pages: 1 ... 867 868 [869] 870 871 ... 1170 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM