Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2017, 02:13:09 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 868 869 [870] 871 872 ... 1169 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1831646 times)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #13035 on: January 22, 2014, 08:08:00 AM »

Speaking of Robert Mitchum and noir, I just have to quote that great line he told Roger Ebert at a noir festival (paraphrased): You guys call it film noir or whatever; back then, we just called them B-Pictures :-)))))

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13036 on: January 22, 2014, 12:28:45 PM »

Yes CJ, as I mentioned, there's lots of night scenes, has that noir look, but I wouldn't call it a "noir Western" - in the way STATION WEST is a real noir Western, with a real noir story. BLOOD ON THE MOON is only noir in its look, with the b/w night scenes; but the story is classic Western. Maybe you could call Mitchum somewhat of a noir character with a conflicted past or whatever, but IMO that is going a little crazy. This is a regular Western with some noir lighting.... And yes, stanton, IMO the only thing that elevates this movie slightly above run of the mill AW's is the solid cast. Otherwise, it's the typical land squabble, rancher vs. homesteader, good guy vs. bad guy stuff. Nothing special in how it's made, not a single scene in which I said "Wow," yes, IMO this is a run of the mill Western with a very solid cast

The atmosphere and the directing is far superior to an ordinary western. And then there are more interesting characters than usual and a tense sense for violence. This is definitely an unusual film for the late 40s. 

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13037 on: January 22, 2014, 12:44:29 PM »

La vie d’Adèle – chapitres 1&2  - Abdellatif Kechiche

I like these kind of films which have an almost realistic feel, in which I the actors seem not to act but to be. The landscape Kechiche explores is the human face, so the film is filled with lots of close-ups. and the 2 leads are very good. But I wasn't fascinated by the style. The actresses create the emotions, while in other films (which I prefer) the director does this with the actors. Entertaining stuff. 8/10

The elaborated sex scenes are btw not erotic ...

... and they shouldn't have changed the title to Blue is the Warmest Color

« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 12:46:18 PM by stanton » Logged

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13038 on: January 22, 2014, 03:54:27 PM »

"Blue is the warmest color" is actually the title if the comic book the movie is based on.

Anyway, I rest my case:

Still, I'm not saying that Blue is that bad. I'd give it 5/10. Kechiche is not a bad director. He's mostly overrated and I believe his system has strong limitations.

The goal of the movie is to show a lesbian love story (how it starts, how it goes, how it ends, how it changes the people involved) in all the realism possible. Kechiche's way of obtaining this is by letting his actors improvise for 5 months (actual figure), and then not cutting enough of it. The problem with this is that the camerawork is lazy (95% of the shots are just close up in 200mm) and most scenes don't go anywhere and have mediocre dialogues (just everyday dialogues FROM PEOPLE WHO HAVE NO PERSONALITY. If you follow me with a camera for 5 months, you'll get more interesting stuff, not because I'm great, just because I'm above that particular level of emptiness. I don't spend my time only saying "Yes. Thank you. Lol."). You have to organise a little if you want a scene to tell something. When the actress improvise based on a detailed script, it changes everything. The break up and a couple crucial scenes are done this way and you have the feeling to have something to follow and understand here.

Another problem of the film is that it's superficial. Tells you nothing about love and break up. And nothing about gay couples either. People are just caricatures (see: the 2 consecutive diners with the parents) who tell nothingness and ridiculous symboles.
Example? Ok, example. The older lesbian loves oysters. The younger one doesn't (SPOILER: in the end, she likes it too). This is heavy symbolism, right? Now Kechiche didn't think "heavy" was enough so he kept the following improvisation from his actresses:
- "IT MAKES ME THINK ABOUT SOMETHING ELSE" (LOL LOL XXX)
- "I'D RATHER NOT KNOW!!!!" (SO TOTALLY LMAO)
I so totally didn't see that coming that I did totally vomit when all this mediocrity was thrown at my face.

Last but not least, I'd be ok with all this if the film felt utterly realistic. It doesn't. To be fair, it DOES from time to time: a nice smile here, a head move there, a whole scene (wow!!!) once... Some young students talk like real young students (which means that most of the other actors DON'T talk like real people)... And that's it. 5 months of intense work (some say "torture") to get a few hints at reality here and there? I call this complete failure, especially because it's supposed to be the biggest asset of the movie.

I'm not crazy about the Dardenne brothers or Cimino, but there is far far more reality (and deepness) in any shot of the Dardenne brothers or from the first 40 minutes of Deer Hunter than in the 3 hours of Blue Is The Warmest Color. These are 2 very different kinds of movies but if you want to get "reality" you cannot just put a 200mm in the face of a (bad) actress without personality and without a script, and then just wait and expect something will happen.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 02:09:41 AM by noodles_leone » Logged

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13039 on: January 23, 2014, 02:53:20 AM »

"Blue is the warmest color" is actually the title if the comic book the movie is based on.

I know, but he changed the title, and as I have read he also changed a lot more. For example in the film Emma is the stronger of the 2, but not so in the comic. And the girl isn't named Adèle in the comic.

Isn't the correct translation of the comic title Blue is a Warm Color?

Noodles, I disagree with most what you write about the film's realism. Not completely though.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 02:55:31 AM by stanton » Logged

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13040 on: January 23, 2014, 03:25:18 AM »

And the girl isn't named Adèle in the comic.

Yes, he chanegd it because of the actress (and the fact that he changed the character: Adele is now playing almost herself).

Isn't the correct translation of the comic title Blue is a Warm Color?

Yes, that would be the most literal translation. In English, "Blue is the Warmest Color" sounds better to me than "Blue is a Warm Color". If they had to keep the original idea, they got it right.
You're probably right though, for artistic reasons, the title had to change from the original work. The comic was based on the color blue, the film only keeps it in here and there:

More images, some are slightly NSFW: https://www.google.fr/search?q=bleu+est+une+couleur+chaude&espv=210&es_sm=93&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=--zgUrrMBuuX0AX8noG4CQ&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1920&bih=979

Now, the title that would have been the most consistent with the movie itself would have been "Adèle", plain and simple: we don't see that much about her life, we see a lot about herself. IMO, that's the main thing the film focuses on. "La Vie d'Adèle" sounds a bit pretentious to me, and isn't what we see on screen. Anyway, it's an ok title, I will not fight against it Smiley I just like the posters with the English title, they're all much better than what we got here:

Noodles, I disagree with most what you write about the film's realism. Not completely though.

Do you mean that you disagree with most of my ideas or that you kind of agree but would be far far less radical?

« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 03:34:45 AM by noodles_leone » Logged

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #13041 on: January 23, 2014, 05:15:54 AM »

I Walked With A Zombie (1943) A Val Lewton produced Jacques Tourneur directed thriller/horror flick great atmospherics/music. 8/0

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13042 on: January 23, 2014, 05:35:20 AM »

IN THE HEAT OF THE NIGHT 8/10 (2nd viewing)... SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS.... I still have no idea how Tibbs solved the murder - how he connected the girl's pregnancy to the murder, how he knew she would be getting an abortion and that the guy who pays for it is the killer. (And btw, why the hell would the girl get an abortion after the police chief knows she is pregnant? Wouldn't he then know she had an abortion? But that is an unrelated point.) Main thing is I don't see any reason Tibbs would have to connect the impregnation (is that a word?) of the girl to the murder of the businessman, and figure that the businessman must have been killed for $ for an abortion. (or maybe the writers weren't all that concerned with having the solving of the murder make that much sense, since that really is not the point of the movie; it's not a murder mystery, but a racial drama)

« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 04:27:50 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13043 on: January 23, 2014, 05:50:59 AM »

I Walked With A Zombie (1943) A Val Lewton produced Jacques Tourneur directed thriller/horror flick great atmospherics/music. 8/0

Incredible film. I was blown away by it's beauty last time I watched it. And it really can generate a horror feeling. 10/10

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #13044 on: January 23, 2014, 05:57:25 AM »

La vie de boheme (1992) - 10/10. Aki Kaurismäki adapts and updates the famous novel and nods at Puccini en passant. Filmed with high-contrast b&w photography, every frame is a slice of cake. There's plenty of humor baked in, but all the pathos remains. Jean-Pierre Leaud, Louis Malle, and Samuel Fuller provide amusing cameos. Criterion's Blu-ray must be seen to be believed.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #13045 on: January 23, 2014, 06:08:48 AM »

IN THE HEAT OF THE NIGHT 8/10 (2nd viewing)... SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS.... I still have no idea how Tibbs solved the murder - how he connected the girl's pregnancy to the murder, how he knew she would be getting an abortion and that the guy who pays for it is the killer. (And btw, why the hell would the girl get an abortion after the police chief knows she is pregnant? Wouldn't he then know she had an abortion? But that is an unrelated point.) Main thing is I don't see any reason Tibbs would have to connect the impregnation (is that a word?) of the girl to the murder of the businessman, and figure that the businessman must have been killed for $ for an abortion. (or maybe the writers weren't all that concerned with having the solving of the murder make that much sense, since that really is not the point of the movie; it's not a murder mystery, but a racial drama)

Its a great film, caught just a part of it the other day on TCM will have to do a re-watch before I can comment.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #13046 on: January 23, 2014, 06:48:30 AM »

Drink is right, though. The plot doesn't make sense.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13047 on: January 23, 2014, 04:45:40 PM »

I mostly like Heat for Steiger and Poitier. The actual story is pretty dull and the racial angle hasn't aged well.

Saturday nights with Groggy
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13048 on: January 23, 2014, 06:21:02 PM »

Steiger and Poitier are real good, and so is Warren Oates. I also like how the movie captures the hick town, like the crappy police station (in which the chief makes less in a month than a Philadephia detective makes in a week), the shitty lunch counter, etc.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13049 on: January 24, 2014, 01:11:28 AM »

No Other Woman (1933) 7.5/10

I've always love watching Irene Dunne. Wikipedia says she has been described as the best actress never to win an Academy Award, and who am I to argue with Wikipedia?

Pages: 1 ... 868 869 [870] 871 872 ... 1169 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM