Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2017, 09:05:36 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 869 870 [871] 872 873 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1761064 times)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #13050 on: January 24, 2014, 01:11:28 AM »

No Other Woman (1933) 7.5/10

I've always love watching Irene Dunne. Wikipedia says she has been described as the best actress never to win an Academy Award, and who am I to argue with Wikipedia?

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13051 on: January 24, 2014, 03:31:40 AM »

I mostly like Heat for Steiger and Poitier. The actual story is pretty dull and the racial angle hasn't aged well.

Yep, and for that a 6/10er

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13052 on: January 24, 2014, 03:59:50 AM »

Stanton probably spent the first half of the movie trying to figure out why some people are racists, then spent the second half pitying them.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13053 on: January 24, 2014, 05:51:51 AM »

No, I expected some friendly KKK guys solving the Poitier problem and some good guy Nazis solve the crime case with Steiger. And at the end the end they all kiss each other.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #13054 on: January 24, 2014, 06:11:01 AM »

No, I expected some friendly KKK guys solving the Poitier problem and some good guy Nazis solve the crime case with Steiger. And at the end the end they all kiss each other.
You mean, you were looking for a gay subtext???

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
sargatanas
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #13055 on: January 24, 2014, 06:27:34 AM »

ya definitely hit a nerve here Joe 
lemme put it this way. I'm 9, my 89 year
old fiddle playing Grandma watch shock
theater in the basement over WLOS in ashville.
the flick is my first val lewton masterpiece called
"bedlam". as it got to be 1 a/m the scene where Boris
is getting bricked in by the other inmates is a zinger.
i really got a depth to how scary / creepy val lewton
truly was.  Afro

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13056 on: January 24, 2014, 07:19:09 AM »

You mean, you were looking for a gay subtext???

Actually yes, after it began to dawn on me that Steiger and Poitier would never become a happy-forever couple I hoped for some sexy Nazis in their shiny, shiny uniforms. What a crap film ..

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13057 on: January 25, 2014, 12:13:17 AM »

Call Northside 777 - 8/10 - Solid crime drama has reporter James Stewart working to clear Richard Conte of a wrongful murder conviction. There's an ambivalence between docudrama realism and Hollywood contrivance that occasionally grates, but otherwise an excellent show.

Saturday nights with Groggy
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #13058 on: January 25, 2014, 03:08:03 AM »

Edison The Man 8/10
The Magic Box 6/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #13059 on: January 25, 2014, 06:06:15 AM »

The Boys From Brazil - 7/10 - A really dumb plot that makes little sense, with lots of cheesiness and eyeroll-inducing scenes, but still manages to be an entertaining and well-crafted film, if not in the same league as Marathon Man in the "Escaped Nazi War Criminals" thriller subgenre. Laurence Olivier is pretty good despite a dodgy Jewish accent, although James Mason is given a useless role as an ODESSA officer. Lots of great character actors (Groggy favorite Walter Gotell, Denholm Elliot, Michael Gough, Wolf Kahler, Wolfgang Priess, and Steve Guttenberg before his 15 seconds of fame) in roles of neglible import. And attentive viewers will note one Bruno Ganz far down the cast list (I believe he's the scientist who explains the cloning process to Olivier). This movie further proves the Guns of Navarone maxim that Gregory Peck is not a badass, and he shouldn't even try - listening him snarl "Shut up, you ugly BITCH!" in a hideous pseudo-German accent is Mr. Freeze-worthy. Certainly it was fun seeing him get torn to shreds by Dobermanns - I can't think of another film where that happens. Nice Jerry Goldsmith score, and however silly the plot is, those kids are damned creepy. It was also cool to see lots of Lancaster County scenery, having spent a lot of time in that vicinity.

I completely agree with Groggy on this. - 7/10

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13060 on: January 25, 2014, 12:06:31 PM »

Himatsuri / Fire Festival (1985) - 5/10. In 1986 I saw this film on its initial US art house run. I remember leaving the cinema afterwards thinking, "Huuuuuhhhhh?" Well, when I saw the listing for it on The Japan Society's events calendar this month, I figured I'd give it another try. I went down (the Society is on E 47th, across from the UN) and there was quite a good turnout. Ian Buruma was on hand to introduce the film and tell us what a rare treat we were in for. When we got to the last reel the film was upside down and had to be respooled, causing an unplanned intermission. That final reel is essential for understanding the film as a whole. I left the cinema afterwards thinking, "Huuuuuuhhhh?" The film's director, Mitsuo Yanagimachi, is most famous for giving the world the title "God Speed You! Black Emperor."

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13061 on: January 25, 2014, 05:29:15 PM »

L'éternel retour / Eternal Return (1943) - 7/10. Tristan and Isolde transferred to 20th Century France. It doesn't quite work--Commoners acting like royals? Love potions in 1943?--but it remains interesting. Well, it helps to have Jean Marais, the handsomest man who ever lived. http://www.imdb.com/video/hulu/vi3664029465/?ref_=tt_wb_hulu

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13062 on: January 25, 2014, 06:11:56 PM »

American Hustle - 6/10 - Disappointing. I'd more or less second Jenkins' comments: an exercise in Scorsese imitation without the real thing's flare or discipline. The period detail, soundtrack and intricate plotting are more artificial than immersive - perhaps intentional given the blather about appearances and role playing, but I'm not buying. It's a pity since Russell has his own inimitable style as a director, and a Silver Linings-style crime movie could have been scream. The cast is uniformly great, with Jeremy Renner and Amy Adams standing out, so it's not a total loss.

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13063 on: January 25, 2014, 07:17:39 PM »

Le Main du Diable (1943) - 9/10. Faust meets La Ronde. With the great Pierre Fresnay as the man in debt to the Fiend. Now streaming for free (for the next week): http://www.hulu.com/watch/348216?playlist_id=2198&asset_scope=movies

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13064 on: January 26, 2014, 06:16:23 AM »

STRANGE CARGO 6/10... Once upon a time, Joan Crawford was not ugly... This is a very different kind of performance by her. It's a little strange to see her especially in the beginning as the tough talking babe (sorta like the girl in DETOUR), and not sure how convinced I was in those parts (maybe just cuz I know it's Joan Crawford!) but overall, as the movie went along, there was much more to her character than that, and it was interesting to see her in a type of performance I've never seen from her.... But it's not a very good movie

Pages: 1 ... 869 870 [871] 872 873 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM