Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2017, 09:24:15 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 872 873 [874] 875 876 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1765328 times)
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13095 on: February 01, 2014, 09:55:06 AM »

Bedazzled (1967)

3/10. Fuck that.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #13096 on: February 01, 2014, 12:14:29 PM »

Bedazzled (1967)

3/10. Fuck that.
You fill me with inertia.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13097 on: February 01, 2014, 02:52:33 PM »

The Baron of Arizona (1950) - 7/10. The almost true story of James Addison Reavis (Vincent Price), who, through an elaborate series of forgeries, attempted to bilk the U.S. out of the Territory of Arizona. As told by Samuel Fuller and James Wong Howe, this is a real corker until it goes all sappy at the end (the swindler is saved by the love of a good woman). Streaming free this week only on hulu: http://www.hulu.com/watch/484834

« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 02:54:17 PM by dave jenkins » Logged

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13098 on: February 01, 2014, 07:24:48 PM »

Gentleman's Agreement - 7/10 - Anti-Semitism is bad. Good to know.

Now Voyager - 8/10 - A solid woman's picture.

Gravity - 8/10 - This might be the first time I've seen 3D actually add something to a movie. The first 40 minutes or so are amazing stuff; some of the best effects ever, immersive in a way most sci-fi movies can only dream of. After George Clooney's exit it turns into a predictable series of tasks format, but it's still entertaining.

Saturday nights with Groggy
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #13099 on: February 01, 2014, 11:09:16 PM »

I Remember Mama (1948) 5/10

The stuff with the whining, screaming, bitching aunts and uncle is excruciating. The stuff with the immediate family is better – Irene Dunne is terrific, as is most of the cast – but even those family scenes are in some cases way too drawn out, or useless. Like the scene where Dunne is told she can't visit her kid in the hospital - first she goes to the doctor, she begs and begs him, then she goes to the nurse and begs and begs her, God, that could have been accomplished in 20 seconds, but it drags on endlessly. The scene where the aunt's husband tells her she's gonna have a waitress, God Almighty.... The last 15 minutes or so are pretty good; the movie does give a real sense of that hardworking immigrant generation.... it's a shame cuz there is some good material here that (especially with this very solid cast) could have been made into a good movie, but as it is, this is a pretty bad movie.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13100 on: February 02, 2014, 01:12:14 AM »

Gravity - 8/10 - This might be the first time I've seen 3D actually add something to a movie. The first 40 minutes or so are amazing stuff; some of the best effects ever, immersive in a way most sci-fi movies can only dream of. After George Clooney's exit it turns into a predictable series of tasks format, but it's still entertaining.

I've seen it twice in IMAX. The second time was a less powerful experience: the scenario is so simple (some say simplistic) that I knew by heart what was going to happen, step by step. It makes the thing less immersive. The BD will be out in less than a month. I wonder how the movie will stand a 2D experience on a regular screen.

Anyway, I'm in love with that movie.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13101 on: February 02, 2014, 03:48:07 AM »

The Joe Louis Story (1953) 7.5/10

The story of heavyweight champion Joe Louis, as narrated by a sportswriter played by Paul Stewart. Really beat-up print on TCM.

Coley Wallace played Joe Louis here - but the actual fight scenes are real footage from the fights (Wallace seems to be much taller than Louis, but hey, who cares).
Fun fact about Wallace (thanks to Wikipedia) - he had a decent career as a professional boxer (going 20-7-0) but "his claim to fame came in 1948 when, as an amateur, he defeated future heavyweight champion Rocky Marciano in the finals of the New York Golden Gloves Tournament."
Marciano, of course, would go on to a professional career in which he never lost a fight, and beat Joe Louis in Louis's final fight.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #13102 on: February 02, 2014, 03:59:59 AM »

The Wonderful Country (1959) Director: Robert Parrish with Robert Mitchum, Julie London, Gary Merrill,  Albert Dekker, Jack Oakie, Charles McGraw, Leroy 'Satchel' Paige, John Banner, Pedro Armendáriz

Ok now I've caught the beginning and end of this the first time on TCM the second time last night but on a channel with commercial breaks, shot in Durango, Mexico, looks beautiful &  interesting and has a great cast, would like to see the full film.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13103 on: February 02, 2014, 10:12:18 AM »

Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion so I finally saw this movie (rented the Criterion DVD from Netflix), what a disappointment 6/10
(Communists, of all people, decrying brutal government control and police tactics  Grin )

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13104 on: February 02, 2014, 11:58:01 AM »

I've seen it twice in IMAX. The second time was a less powerful experience: the scenario is so simple (some say simplistic) that I knew by heart what was going to happen, step by step. It makes the thing less immersive. The BD will be out in less than a month. I wonder how the movie will stand a 2D experience on a regular screen.

Anyway, I'm in love with that movie.
It would make a good theme park ride.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13105 on: February 02, 2014, 12:30:14 PM »

so DJ, did you see InvestigationOASAS? waddaya think of it?

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13106 on: February 02, 2014, 12:32:35 PM »

Saw in the Barnes and Noble yesterday, but $40 for a Blu Ray is a lot right now. I'm hoping Hulu puts it on their streaming service soon.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13107 on: February 02, 2014, 12:49:54 PM »

so DJ, did you see InvestigationOASAS? waddaya think of it?
I've seen it several times. I like the way it starts out, but by the end it gets too abstract. The premise--a Homicide detective commits a murder for the sake of it, then leaves clues for his investigating staff, either because he wants to get caught or he's playing the ultimate game of brinksmanship--is a great one. But as we stray further away from that, to the point where the film becomes just an exercise for making political statements, it becomes tiresome. The interrogation of the student is where the film starts to go wrong. But Volonte is great (as always) and the Morricone score is certainly memorable.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13108 on: February 02, 2014, 12:50:58 PM »

Thanks DJ. Have you ever seen We Still Kill the Old Way by the same director? Any thoughts?

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13109 on: February 02, 2014, 01:01:06 PM »

Thanks DJ. Have you ever seen We Still Kill the Old Way by the same director? Any thoughts?
Haven't seen that one, but I'd like to.

Pages: 1 ... 872 873 [874] 875 876 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM