Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2017, 04:19:27 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 877 878 [879] 880 881 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1767586 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #13170 on: February 21, 2014, 10:40:42 AM »

The latter.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #13171 on: February 22, 2014, 03:59:29 AM »

They Shoot Horses, Don't They? (1969) Wow, forgot how intense this film was, Susana York shines, Jane Fonda's best performance, Gig Young is Oscar great, Michael Sarrazin, Red Buttons, Bonnie Bedelia, Michael Conrad, Bruce Dern, the great  Al Lewis, a bleak look at the Depression era, a 10/10.   

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13172 on: February 22, 2014, 05:29:46 PM »

The Monuments Men - 7/10 - Simultaneously met and exceeded my expectations. It's plenty sanctimonious about art and as Drink says, light on action and spectacle. The character interactions sold it for me though, especially Matt Damon and Cate Blanchet's relationship. Put it in the modestly diverting column.

Saturday nights with Groggy
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #13173 on: February 22, 2014, 08:05:16 PM »

The Monuments Men - 7/10 - Simultaneously met and exceeded my expectations. It's plenty sanctimonious about art and as Drink says, light on action and spectacle. The character interactions sold it for me though, especially Matt Damon and Cate Blanchet's relationship. Put it in the modestly diverting column.

character interactions?Huh   Shocked Shocked Shocked

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13174 on: February 22, 2014, 09:29:48 PM »

As i mentioned, I thought Cate Blanchett was terrific, but which other characters did you like? And which other interactions did you like? Other than Blanchett, there wasn't a single performance that was very good despite the all star cast. None were bad, but none were Oscar-worthy either.... I thought the "d-day one month later" scene, when the old guys get outta the boats on Normandy Beach in July 1944 was corny (I may even say sacrligious, but I don't wanna get into a debate on that. though it is possible that if this was a good movie, i would have enjoyed it; once a movie annoys you, often, everything about it begins to annoy you, good or bad... Ditto for the "christmas at the battle of the bulge" scene. If this was an action-filled movie, then the lulls in the action can be nice. But this scene was a quiet, emotional lull.... From nothing. The whole movie was one lull to another

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13175 on: February 22, 2014, 09:37:28 PM »

And that unforgivably ludicrous scene where they smoke the cigarettes with the Nazi and talk about John Wayne...... So ridiculous. That alone would make this a bad movie.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13176 on: February 23, 2014, 08:50:20 AM »

I probably liked Goodman and Dujardan's scenes best. And Murray and Balaban were fun, even if they got some ridiculous things to do.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13177 on: February 23, 2014, 02:44:51 PM »

What can I say? I disagree with you wholeheartedly. Won't be the last time ;-).... Problem is, now that you gave it a decent rating, DJ is gonna decide to see it, and you'll have wasted his time ;-)

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13178 on: February 23, 2014, 07:30:43 PM »

Taking Sides - 8/10 - Think Judgment at Nuremberg Meets Mephisto: Harvey Keitel prosecutes German conductor Stellan Skarsgaard for collaborating with the Nazis. Another Istvan Szabo exploration of complicity under fascism, this isn't exactly nuanced: Keitel's character is a blustering bully, which robs the story of much-needed ambiguity. Still, the dramatic spark is there: Skarsgaard is excellent, as are the German supporting actors (namely Moritz Bleibtreu of The Baader-Meinhoff Complex).

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13179 on: February 24, 2014, 04:19:11 AM »

Recently in the theatres:

The Wolf of Wall Street - Martin Scorsese 7/10

Nymph()maniac (part 1) - Lars von Trier 9/10

Le Passť (The Past) - Asghar Farhadi 9/10

A night with a living dead and those with which the future is certain

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13180 on: February 24, 2014, 04:36:41 AM »

True Detective s01e01 - 8/10
True Detective s01e02 - 7/10
True Detective s01e03 - 6/10
True Detective s01e04 - 10/10
True Detective s01e05 - 8/10

Twin Peaks in Louisiane with some of the finest acting you'll ever see on TV. The directing is unrevaled by most high end feature films. Great atmosphere. Smart but unequal scenario. Lots of poetic/philosophical quotes that you may either hate or love:

http://truedetectivequotes.tumblr.com/

The following 6 minutes action tracking shot from episode 4 left me speachless (because of the effectiveness of the scene, not because of the technical achievement):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_HuFuKiq8U

« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 01:40:27 PM by noodles_leone » Logged

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13181 on: February 24, 2014, 06:34:57 AM »

Nymph()maniac (part 1) - Lars von Trier 9/10

Can you please elaborate? I'm very dubious I'd give this a non negative rating if I saw it. From the trailers and posters It seems to be everything I hate: marketing and emptiness disguised as art and philosophy.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13182 on: February 24, 2014, 06:58:23 AM »

Problem is, now that you gave it a decent rating, DJ is gonna decide to see it . . .
Not a chance.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 07:01:25 AM by dave jenkins » Logged

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13183 on: February 24, 2014, 07:36:51 AM »

Je t'aime je t'aime (1968) - 6/10. 35mm. First viewing. A man who has attempted suicide is recruited for a time travel experiment. The travel is limited to what he has experienced in his life (that is, he can only re-experience things from his past). An attempt to revisit a minute of life from the previous year goes awry, and the guy starts hopping around his past uncontrollably. At that point, the thin sci-fi elements of the premise are side-lined and the cutting edge montage takes over (this is, after all, an Alain Resnais film). The interest for the audience is then in assembling an impression of the hero's life from fragments (seemingly chosen at random). It's mostly fun--the hero and the people he interacts with are all very witty--but there is a fair amount of pathos (we learn why the man tried to kill himself). Comparisons have been drawn between this and Groundhog Day and other more recent films, but the picture it most resembles perhaps is Slaughterhouse Five (1972). SH5 is the superior film: it skips the obvious tail-in-its-mouth conclusion for something more dramatically satisfying. This earlier film could not forego the suggestion that its hero is doomed to recycle his experiences eternally. Like the time travel experiment itself, the movie is more interesting than successful.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13184 on: February 24, 2014, 08:49:22 AM »

DJ, is your taste closer to mine than Groggy's? Or is it cuz you judge a movie by its preview?

Pages: 1 ... 877 878 [879] 880 881 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM