Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2017, 06:45:51 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 879 880 [881] 882 883 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1762675 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #13200 on: March 02, 2014, 05:52:14 AM »

Who Is Harry Kellerman And Why Is He Saying Those Terrible Things About Me? (1971) - 6/10. Georgie Soloway (Dustin Hoffman) is a very successful Dylan-esque singer/songwriter, but because he cannot maintain a relationship with another human being he is, and you would expect, very unhappy. We see the world filtered through his fragmenting psyche, a series of flashbacks and hallucinations. It's a kind of Citizen Soloway, or maybe Inside Georgie Soloway. Eventually he comes across Barbara Harris, who, as a poster on another forum has said, seems to have wandered in from a different--and better--movie. She may be Georgie's last hope, but because she gives such an amazing performance in a Dustin Hoffman vehicle, she's quickly sidelined. In the end, Georgie maintains the one sustaining connection he has achieved in his life: the one with his shrink (Jack Warden).

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13201 on: March 02, 2014, 07:52:23 AM »

Jane Eyre (2011) - 8/10 - Nice adaptation of the Bronte novel. My criticisms would be: a) perhaps a bit too dour, I recall the novel being much funnier (at least in parts); b) some of the narrative alterations, while understandable by the needs of adaptation, hurt the pacing. Still, Cary Fukunaga's sober approach to material that, on its face, is Gothic potboiler stuff helps immensely. Certainly it's gorgeous to look at, especially the candlelit interior scenes. The cast does excellent work: Mia Wasikowska is really charming (proving that Tim Burton thing wasn't her fault), Michael Fassbender dependably solid and good support by Judi Dench, Jamie Bell and the Archdeacon from Rev.

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13202 on: March 02, 2014, 08:27:00 AM »

Jane Eyre (2011) - 8/10 - Nice adaptation of the Bronte novel. My criticisms would be: a) perhaps a bit too dour, I recall the novel being much funnier (at least in parts); b) some of the narrative alterations, while understandable by the needs of adaptation, hurt the pacing. Still, Cary Fukunaga's sober approach to material that, on its face, is Gothic potboiler stuff helps immensely. Certainly it's gorgeous to look at, especially the candlelit interior scenes. The cast does excellent work: Mia Wasikowska is really charming (proving that Tim Burton thing wasn't her fault), Michael Fassbender dependably solid and good support by Judi Dench, Jamie Bell and the Archdeacon from Rev.
I liked it a lot too. One more criticism could be leveled, however: perhaps they could have kept more of the original language for the characters to speak (as they did, successfully, in the Pride and Prejudice mini-series). Maybe that would have solved the dour-ness problem.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13203 on: March 02, 2014, 10:38:51 AM »

Is the Orson Welles-Joan Fontaine version worth a look?

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13204 on: March 02, 2014, 11:22:14 AM »

Yes, the noir-like images are amazing. Also, you get a really tremendous score from Bernard Herrmann. They stick pretty much to the book until the end, where they make a huge though not unreasonable change. Joan Fontaine does her usual mouse impersonation. Orson Welles' false nose gives a great performance.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13205 on: March 02, 2014, 12:12:04 PM »

So I got very political these days.

House Of Cards (Season 2) - 7/10

Just like the first season: great direction, top notch acting, good script, good dialogues (but NOT half as Sorkin-good as they try to be)... but a little let-down. Every episode contains scenes that hint at what the show could/should have been. I have not wasted my time, I've learned a lot of stuff, it"s full of great ideas and fascinating characters, and I never got bored. The relationship between Keyser Söse and Buttercup is still the weirdest, sickest, most fascinating and best thing in the show.

L'Exercice De L'Etat - 8/10

I had heard a lot of good things about this one, but it's the dialogue I heard on the radio that convinced me I couldn't miss it. So I bought the other day it in one of these "5 DVDs for 30 bucks" offer. And it's very good. It is by far the best film I've ever seen on what it means to be a French minister. I'd love to ear what you guys think of it and if it depicts the reality of that job in other countries too.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1781843/

« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 12:21:32 PM by noodles_leone » Logged

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13206 on: March 02, 2014, 12:24:21 PM »

L'Exercice De L'Etat - 8/10

I had heard a lot of good things about this one, but it's the dialogue I heard on the radio that convinced me I couldn't miss it. So I bought the other day it in one of these "5 DVDs for 30 bucks" offer. And it's very good. It is by far the best film I've ever seen on what it means to be a French minister. I'd love to ear what you guys think of it and if it depicts the reality of that job in other countries too.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1781843/
Looks like there's a Dutch release that includes English subtitles. I may check this out.

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #13207 on: March 02, 2014, 12:48:15 PM »

Moon (2009) - 8/10

Enter the Void (2009) - 8/10

The Dead (1987) - 9.5/10
"Gabriel Conroy and wife Greta attend a Christmas dinner with friends at the home of his spinster aunts, an evening which results in an epiphany for both of them." Based on the James Joyce novella by the same name. This is a motherfucking masterpiece and would deserve more recognition. I might get shot for saying this, but this may also be John Huston's best film. I first saw the film six months ago on 35mm film and now I saw it on a DVD rip - and both times I couldn't help crying in the end. Externally really small and simple movie, but a great great work of art at the heart. Currently I would rank it among my all time favorites.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13208 on: March 03, 2014, 10:29:19 AM »

Westward the Women (1951) - 7/10. As others have said, this film about a wagon train full of women is pretty good, although I probably won't be rewatching it too often. I like the fact that Robert Taylor (actually doing a bit of acting for a change) tells everyone up front that one in three of those who start aren't going to make it, but then, as he's proved right, we're still surprised (mostly) by those who do and don't survive. One disappointment, however, was the fact the Indian attack, which is foreshadowed, occurs when Taylor is away from the train. A little too convenient--especially for director Wellman, who doesn't have to stage a tricky action sequence. But as far as the story goes, the coincidence is also too pat. What, did the Indians have a forward observer, tipping the rest on when to go in?(--Calling Big Chief, calling Big Chief, this is Little Brave. Have eyes on the train. Romeo Tango has left the perimeter, over./--WTF?, over/--Yeah, looks like he's chasing after his squaw, over./--Huh. Could this be some kind of trick?, over/--Beats the shit out of me, over./--Well, it's worth taking the chance. All units: roll forward to the LD and go, go, go! Out.) The Utah location works really well (there may be only 2 sets in the whole film). The women are more 1951 than 1851, but that's to be expected.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 10:31:36 AM by dave jenkins » Logged

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #13209 on: March 03, 2014, 11:34:12 AM »

Yeah, I love how instead of a cattle drive it's a women drive ;-) waddaya think Sergio thought of this?

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Big Boss 1971
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #13210 on: March 03, 2014, 11:39:37 PM »

Hamburger Hill 4.5/6 , noticed Spin City veteran Mike Boatman during the end credits.......

Big Boss of Shanghai 3.5/6 , Kuan Tai and Jimmy Lee turns to crime and Chen Sing as the boss. Article from '72 refers to Kuan Tai as "the next Bruce Lee ?" , that never really happened though (then Lee died and dozens of imitators started popping up like weed)

Ring of Death 3/6 , too much "comedy"......at least Drunken Master was more fun than this. Only decent thing is last scene with Wang Jang Lee.

Dragon dies hard 2/6 , well it was "hard" sitting thru this movie......Bruce Li dreams that the real Lee tries to tell him who killed him. No memorable fight scenes , whole thing just screams meh.

Chinese Kung Fu vs Godfather 4/6 , naive kid brings parcel from H.K to Amsterdam.......more of a comedy than straight martial arts. Lee Kun plays a womanizer who tries to help him versus the baddies.  Just like with Bolos "Amsterdam Connection" , it takes place in Ams and a brief scene in Paris as well.

Boss : You are a fool , the police will laugh at you ! (Big Boss , 1971)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13211 on: March 04, 2014, 06:00:29 AM »

Stalingrad (2013) IMAX 3D - 4/10. The Germans had a film with this name about 10 years ago; now the Russians have taken a crack at the subject. Actually, not. Stalingrad just turns out to be the setting of the picture--the filmmakers almost totally ignore the wider conflict (there is one Spielberg-level event at the beginning when the Russians cross the Volga that is pretty exciting) to focus on the fighting between two squad-level units occupying buildings on opposite sides of a city square. There's some sniping, an occasional foray that does nothing to alter the balance; neither side has the big guns necessary to win decisively (until the end, that is, when several Tigers roll up). So, while we're waiting for that final conflagration, we get a lot of talk from characters on either side of the tactical divide. On the Russian side, there are five men who worry about the right way to treat the 19-year-old girl they've discovered living in the building they're defending. This culminates with a birthday celebration that is planned with more care than any of the military operations in the film. Yes, the sentimentality of the scene is gag-worthy. Meanwhile, over in the Nazi zone, a German Captain frets about the fate of the Russian whore who reminds him so much of his dead wife . . . . Auuuggghhhhh, could we just have some killing, please? The occasional battle scenes aren't bad, but no one in either army seems to practice such combat essentials as cover and concealment, they'd all rather pretend that they're the Spartans in 300. I appreciated the IMAX-sized image; I'm not sure the 3D added much, although the lighting was always rather dark, so maybe the added depth helped to be able to differentiate between people and objects. I guess this film was such a hit in Russia that for 2014 Putin decided to follow up with The Crimea, in Super Global IMAX 4D.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13212 on: March 04, 2014, 06:04:31 AM »

Yeah, I love how instead of a cattle drive it's a women drive ;-) waddaya think Sergio thought of this?
"Mooooooove along, ladies. Moooooove along, little dogies."

Actually, I thought of Sergio when they dug up the rum from the Quackenbush grave. Could the idea of hiding treasure in a false grave in GBU have come from here?

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13213 on: March 04, 2014, 06:06:44 AM »

Enter the Void (2009) - 8/10

First viewing? Amazing experience, isn't it? To me it's the perfect example of bad film full of genius ideas and some great execution. I'm really happy it exists and cannot wait to see it again but I would never advise it to anyone who's not working in the film industry.
The love hotel scene that ends with the intra-vaginal shot of a dick is utterly ridiculous, but they follow up with a touching and great birth scene in POV. The whole film is like that. It goes from empty to fascinating, ridiculous to genius. Looks like the first film of a genius teenager.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 06:10:23 AM by noodles_leone » Logged

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13214 on: March 04, 2014, 11:01:28 AM »

the celluloid closet 7.5
the good, the bad and the beautiful 5
freaks 4
far and away 7.5
crimes and misdemeanors 8