Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2017, 03:55:44 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 881 882 [883] 884 885 ... 1169 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1831755 times)
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13230 on: March 07, 2014, 04:46:28 PM »

Yep, our national anthem may not be the coolest sounding one, but it is quite badass.

Do you know a better? I always feel anthem envy when La Marseillaise queues up.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13231 on: March 07, 2014, 05:07:39 PM »

Problem for Henreid is that he is surrounded by perfection, which makes his adequacy seem terrible.

Well-said.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #13232 on: March 08, 2014, 05:03:04 PM »

Yeah, it IS pretty good (as demonstrated in Casablanca).

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13233 on: March 08, 2014, 05:56:49 PM »

Tim's Vermeer (2013) - 9/10. Recently there has been speculation that the 17th Century Dutch painter Vermeer achieved his remarkable photo-realistic effects by means of optics. Both David Hockney (the British painter) and the scholar Philip Steadman have advanced this theory--inventor (and multi-millionaire) Tim Jenison read their books and decided to try a little experiment. First he developed a technique with lenses and mirrors (the lenses were specially ground so that they wouldn't exceed the standards of the 17th Century) to demonstrate that one could reproduce details and colors of a subject directly on canvas without recourse to intermediate stages (Vermeer, apparently, never did any sketching before applying paint). Jenison is not a painter (he has a background in computer graphic design) and had never held a brush before beginning this project. However, he showed that, using his technique, he could achieve photo-realistic effects after hours of painstaking effort. But that was not enough for him. He decided to reproduce a particular Vermeer painting. To do that, he recreated the subject ("Young Girl at the Virginals") in a Texas warehouse. That is, he reproduced Vermeer's room, then the contents of that room, including models in costumes, before painting a single stroke (it's great to be rich). He didn't have the room reproduced, mind--he recreated it himself, teaching himself in the process how to work a lathe (to carve furniture legs) and whatnot until he had faithfully reproduced every detail of the subject that Vermeer had used. Only then did he begin the even longer process of translating the 3D image into a 2D painting using Vermeer's putative technique.

This is an amazing story, told well by the participants and onlookers of the project. Penn Jillette narrates the film (Teller directed), and people like Hockney and Steadman show up from time to time. Martin Mull (!) puts in an appearance. Most of the film, though, is watching Jenison do his thing, which could have become boring were it not for the skillful editing.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13234 on: March 08, 2014, 09:10:07 PM »

Yeah, it IS pretty good (as demonstrated in Casablanca).

Also nice uses of it in Grand Illusion and Day of the Jackal.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13235 on: March 09, 2014, 05:22:31 AM »

I prefer most of the 200 others. I guess it's hard to really like your own national song because of the number of times you ear it, but the French one strikes me as particularly old fashioned. Not to mention the barbarian lyrics Smiley It's weird to ear that at huge sport events like the olympic games: everybody's celebrating peace and humanity and when the french win the whole stadium is suddenly screaming that we'll eat what grows in the blood of our enemies (Mr. "Fox NEWS" D&D, I'll bash the french myself in the next sentence so you don't have to). We haven't even had real enemies for over 40 years so it's mainly bluff.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 05:24:54 AM by noodles_leone » Logged

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13236 on: March 09, 2014, 12:03:27 PM »

I prefer most of the 200 others. I guess it's hard to really like your own national song because of the number of times you ear it, but the French one strikes me as particularly old fashioned.
Well, it was cutting edge at the time it was written.

I like "The Star-Spangled Banner" and I don't get tired of hearing it. It's partly the words and ideas--grace under pressure--but the tune is quite interesting (and famously difficult to sing). it probably helps that it's short and doesn't have a chorus (I guess there are several verses, but we only ever concern ourselves with the first). It also adapts well to new idioms, as rockers have demonstrated. Both Hendrix and Neil Young have done their instrumental (and perhaps ironic) takes on the melody, but my favorite rendition is the one done by Mark Kozelek/Red House Painters. They go very grungy on the whole thing, reinvesting the song with a sense of steely determination. Kozelek's singing of the words seem both plaintive and sincere, and they really wrap everything up nicely at the end when the instruments fall silent and Kozelek's voice is on its own.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 12:05:18 PM by dave jenkins » Logged

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13237 on: March 09, 2014, 12:18:37 PM »

Star-Spangled Banner's got nice lyrics (which makes sense, it was originally a poem) but I've always found the melody annoyingly banal. Of course, I'm infamously tin-earned so take that with a grain of salt.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13238 on: March 09, 2014, 05:30:39 PM »

Lacombe, Lucien (1974) - 5/10. Another pointless film from Louis Malle. It's 1944, and the Allies are making steady progress through France. The title character, unhappy at home and fed up with his menial job at a nursing home, wants to join the Resistance. He is, however, rejected. We are never told why, but it may be because they already had their quota of morons. Not long after, he falls in with the French arm of the Gestapo. He seems blithely unaware that the Germans are losing the war and that he has picked the absolute worst time to join the wrong side. He's just happy to have a place to be. The French collaborators and German officials don't seem to notice their new recruit is a bit dim, either--apparently, they're all idiots too. All the idiots do idiotic things until finally they're all dead. Oh well, at least we get to see Aurore Clement out-of-doors naked, bathing in a stream.

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #13239 on: March 10, 2014, 02:52:33 AM »

I don't mean to change this thread into "Rate your favorite national anthems", but I must say (all history and politics aside) that my favorite is the Russian anthem. I mean, that's some tight sh*t!

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13240 on: March 10, 2014, 03:47:26 AM »

that my favorite is the Russian anthem.

Ukraine will NOT be the new Tchetchenia, you communazi!
(all history and politics aside)

www.ThibautOskian.com
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13241 on: March 10, 2014, 06:09:05 AM »

Re-watched Gravity. Still 9/10
3-D seemed to look less great now then remembered, so maybe the 2D version is equally impressive. Will check this one day with the Blu.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13242 on: March 10, 2014, 07:19:55 AM »

Boiler Room (2000) - 6/10. This thing now looks like a demo version of The Wolf of Wall Street. Narratively it never gets beyond the Long Island office before the Jordan-Belfort-like character gets cold feet.  Worse, the whole film wallows in a sub-plot about how the hero is seeking approval from his father; there's also a tiresome thread about one of the victims of the stock scam and what becomes of him. The film has none of Scorsese's panache, of course, and Giovanni Ribisi demonstrates that he has none of the charisma of Leonardo DiCaprio. This is one of those odd things in cinema history: a film made redundant by a subsequent, better one.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13243 on: March 10, 2014, 07:22:24 AM »

Re-watched Gravity. Still 9/10
3-D seemed to look less great now then remembered, so maybe the 2D version is equally impressive. Will check this one day with the Blu.

You watched it in theater? IMAX? I have the blu ray, still didn't get a chance to see it on my parents' home cinema. They have a problem with their sound system so I'll wait another couple weeks.

www.ThibautOskian.com
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13244 on: March 10, 2014, 07:51:11 AM »

Yes, in the theatre, cause it was the only film so far in which the 3-D was really working. The girl who was with me was impressed. But that was no surprise for me.

Pages: 1 ... 881 882 [883] 884 885 ... 1169 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM