Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2017, 11:38:44 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 882 883 [884] 885 886 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1768052 times)
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13245 on: March 10, 2014, 07:51:11 AM »

Yes, in the theatre, cause it was the only film so far in which the 3-D was really working. The girl who was with me was impressed. But that was no surprise for me.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #13246 on: March 11, 2014, 07:17:18 AM »

Debut features of considerable merit by men who went on to make more famous films:

L'uomo in più/One Man Up/The Extra Man (2001) - 7/10. 35mm. Paolo Sorrentino (The Great Beauty) uses a simple conceit effectively: Two men with the same name, one a soccer star, the other a singer, suffer personal and professional reverses that they cannot surmount. One finds the strength to carry on; the other does not. Neither story by itself would command sufficient interest to make a film, but taken together (the doings of the two men are presented in parallel) an intriguing synergy is created. Both men live in Naples, and although they never meet, it gradually becomes apparent that they know of each other. That knowledge becomes important to one of them. In every scene, Sorrentino's gliding camera glides.

Puzzle of a Downfall Child (1970) - 9/10. Jerry Shatzberg (The Panic in Needle Park) transitioned from high fashion photography to films with this film about a high fashion photographer attempting to transition to films. To prepare, Shatzberg made a series of taped interviews with a successful model, and those tapes became the basis for the story. The film opens with a model (Faye Dunaway) being interviewed by her photographer (Barry Primus), and her recollections, as flashbacks, form the plot. Interestingly, the model isn't quite all right in the head, so the flashbacks are often unreliable. Shatzberg uses montage to suggest not only memories but a fragmenting psyche, and the results are quite astounding. Kudos must go to Ms. Dunaway: she's in every scene, and she's never less than mesmerizing. I'm not much of a Dunaway fan, but she really proved she could act in this one. The (recently restored) Eastman color is spectacular, the editing is, for the most part, inspired, the sound design is revolutionary. The French Blu-ray (Region B locked) is a pleasure to own.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13247 on: March 12, 2014, 07:17:19 AM »

Out of the Furnace (2013) - 2/10. Every cliché; every stupidity in your standard Hollywood script; every uninspired pan, track, zoom, crane, and helicopter shot ever used; the squandering of a talented cast (Bale, Harrelson, Shepard, Casey Affleck); a Pearl Jam song: this is a complete piece of shit.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13248 on: March 12, 2014, 07:52:04 AM »

Grand Hotel Budapest 7.5/10

If you like Wes Anderson, you'll like this one. If you don't, you'll hate it a little less than the others.

It's 100% Wes Anderson, but with a real story, for once. This makes GHB the best place to start if you've never seen any of his films. I like the place (the hotel), I like the Maupassant-like narration. The pseudo WW1-WW2 with nazis and stuff is a great idea, it's a shame it doesn't go half as far as it should go. Just a little bit of substance would have helped a lot.
It's the first time I don't get bored at all during the first viewing of a Wes Anderson film, but I also doubt that this one will grow on me with pultiple viewings. I don't see a lot of room for real emotion, whereas his more hardcore ones (Steve Zissou, for instance) can create something very powerful ("Do you think he remembers me?").

Of course, the cast is great. Everytime a new character is introduced, even for a single scene, he's either someone you WANT to see there (Harvey Keitel, Mathieu Amalric...) or a regular Anderson actor (the Indian guy). My only disapointment is Jeff Goldblum, who could have been a great idea but he doesn't do much. Joel Mchale could have made a much better Goldblum here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lv6mA0qyOo4

Which is the perfect transition to introduce Abed's Nicolas Cage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYlzObGIMa4

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #13249 on: March 12, 2014, 04:53:16 PM »

Out of the Furnace (2013) - 2/10. Every cliché; every stupidity in your standard Hollywood script; every uninspired pan, track, zoom, crane, and helicopter shot ever used; the squandering of a talented cast (Bale, Harrelson, Shepard, Casey Affleck); a Pearl Jam song: this is a complete piece of shit.

glad you saw it so I didn't have to  Wink

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13250 on: March 12, 2014, 10:26:38 PM »

Could not agree more. It's shit!

The Intouchables - 9/10
True Detective Season 1 - 7.5 or 8ish/10

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13251 on: March 13, 2014, 02:08:40 AM »

Yeah, the last two episodes were kind of a let down to me. Plenty of great stuff in it though. Let's hope season 2 will be the masterpiece season 1 could have been.

www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13252 on: March 13, 2014, 06:18:29 AM »

Les miserables (1934) - 10/10. 2012 Restoration 10/10. Pathe Blu-ray 10/10. At 281 minutes, this is one heck of a long film. Happily, it comes in 3 parts, which can be watched on successive nights (my practice in this instance). Arguably the greatest French film ever made (if one discounts The Pasion of Joan of Arc--and I do--or Children of Paradise--which I don't), it is impressively mounted. Some of the acting has dated, but not that of Charles Vanel as Javert or Harry Baur as Jean Valjean. Harry Baur apparently was Jean Gabin before Gabin was, and it's a great routine.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13253 on: March 13, 2014, 09:06:57 AM »

1. Desperate (1947) 6/10 (DVD)

Mediocre noir, more here http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=11104.msg170930#msg170930

2. Invitation (1952) 3/10 (TCM)

first 2/3 is decent, last 1/3 is excruciating

Ruth Roman (n a supporting performance) is always lovely; I prefer her as a good girl, she doesn't have all that many roles as a bad girl as she does here, but I'll take her any way I can get her  Wink she's the only thing I like about this movie

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13254 on: March 15, 2014, 05:06:40 AM »

Inside Llewyn Davis 9/10

Second viewing. This is one haunting movie. The "I'm tired" line gets me.

The Last Of Us: Left Behind 9/10

That's the 3 hours extension of the video game The Last Of Us. I rate it here because this game is as much a (great) film as it is a (great) game. I don't know what you guys have been doing while I was playing it, but you were wrong.

www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13255 on: March 15, 2014, 01:06:11 PM »

2 by Yves Allégret, both starring Gérard Philipe, both recently restored, both on stunning Blu-rays from Pathe:

Une si jolie petite plage/A Charming Little Beach/Riptide (1949) - 5/10. Gérard Philipe shows up in a shitty Atlantic seaside town (one that they forgot to bomb) where it's always raining (you will understand that a certain irony attaches to the French title). Philipe mopes around for a while, then shoots himself. Apparently, he grew up in this wretched place, and, after moving to Paris and committing a crime that we in the audience never come to care anything about, has decided to return home to top himself. Huh? If it were me, I'd rather commit suicide someplace warm, maybe in Cannes or Nice. The story in nowhere, but the b&w cinematography is really nice and made me think of French Poetic Realism. Why is it that misery photographs so well?

Les orgueilleux/The Proud and the Beautiful (1953) 6/10. I can't surpass the summary at IMDb, so here it is: "The first to die in an epidemic of meningitis in Vera Cruz is a French tourist. His wife Nellie [Michèle Morgan], detached and indifferent, feels little grief and realizes that her coldness is her own doom. Over the next two days, she is attracted to George [Gérard Philipe], a local drunk who does odd jobs for brothels and dances grotesquely for tourists in exchange for drinks. George has his own dark secret, a tragedy he caused that leaves him with a death wish. In assisting the local doctor to cope with the epidemic, these two emotional cripples enable each other to rediscover reasons to live and to love." Mind you, that's not a summary of the first act, that's the summary of the whole film. Just when the two lovers have declared themselves and are preparing to face their first wave of epidemic victims, we get a big "FIN" on the screen. So, fantastic set-up: where's the rest of the movie, Yves? This could have been a great film (Act 2: their love is tested; Act 3: tragic death for one or both) but the filmmakers either ran out of time, money, or author Jean-Paul Sartre never supplied an ending to begin with. Anyway, Michèle Morgan is beautiful and we get to see lots of shots of her in her underwear (she has to get inoculated, right? and it's the tropics, right?); also, the filmmakers never miss an opportunity to have her show off her legs (it's a film, right? and it was made by the French, right?).

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13256 on: March 15, 2014, 04:20:05 PM »

If it were me, I'd rather commit suicide someplace warm, maybe in Cannes or Nice.

In case, don't forget to let us know when the BR will be released.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13257 on: March 15, 2014, 04:30:32 PM »

That's right, keep trying, titoli. After all, you did make a successful joke about Groggy's erstwhile girlfriend once. Maybe lightning can strike twice.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13258 on: March 15, 2014, 07:57:27 PM »

I think lightning just DID strike twice. Sorry DJ, but some jokes about you are indeed funny :p

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13259 on: March 15, 2014, 08:21:10 PM »

I think lightning just DID strike twice. Sorry DJ, but some jokes about you are indeed funny :p

Oh, he knows it very well. Otherwise he couldn't have been bothered to answer.

Pages: 1 ... 882 883 [884] 885 886 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM