Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2017, 09:27:27 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 883 884 [885] 886 887 ... 1169 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1835345 times)
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13260 on: March 16, 2014, 09:42:51 AM »

Out of the Furnace (2013) - 2/10. Every cliché; every stupidity in your standard Hollywood script; every uninspired pan, track, zoom, crane, and helicopter shot ever used; the squandering of a talented cast (Bale, Harrelson, Shepard, Casey Affleck); a Pearl Jam song: this is a complete piece of shit.
Waaaait a minute davejenkins did you just cite a "Pearl Jam song" as something negative? That was the only redeeming quality of this movie. Fuck you!

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13261 on: March 16, 2014, 10:07:20 PM »

Agnes of God - 6/10
Intriguing but also pretty silly. Can't tell if Meg Tillly did a good job or horribly overacted.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13262 on: March 17, 2014, 01:47:11 AM »

KILLING THEM SOFTLY - 7/10

Great atmosphere, good characters, very good acting (the worst actor being Brad Pitt, whose only crime is to do a regular job), good dialogues and very tiny script (they obviously focused on dialogues and drew a few parallels with the economic crisis).
Not much to criticise here, except that it's one of the few 7/10 movies that will not bring anything more to the table with rewatches.

Rewatched it yersterday. It's a 7.5/10 (see? it brings a little something with rewatches). I was saddened when watching the (sad) scene of the regretted Gandolfini (best scene of the movie).

« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 01:49:25 AM by noodles_leone » Logged

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #13263 on: March 17, 2014, 01:43:03 PM »

Nora: A Short Film Responding to Henrik Ibsen's A Doll's House (2012) - 7/10. This is an updating of Ibsen's play, presenting some of the themes of the earlier work, but done cinematically, and set in the 21st century. It uses the same actress, Hattie Morahan, appearing in the current Young Vic production of the play. I just saw that production, which, after 3 very successful runs in the UK, has transferred to BAM. It's a pretty impressive event on stage, but it goes two hours and 40 minutes (with intermission). This film gets it all down in nine minutes and 4 seconds.

I did want to see the play, though, so as I said, I went along to BAM. A couple weeks back I mentioned the play to D&D but he expressed no interest, so yesterday I went solo. Apart from all the great acting, the production is distinguished by an amazing set that rotates while we watch, so that while characters leave one room to go to another (the whole play takes place in the connecting rooms of an apartment), we not only see their progress, but by the time they've arrived the new room is positioned front-and-center for our viewing convenience. A really amazing bit of set design, to say nothing of the choreographing of all the actors.

At half-time I got up to stretch my legs. Looking behind me I noticed, three rows back, an attractive Asian woman sitting and talking to a white-haired gent beside her. Naturally all my attention was on the woman, so it was some time before I looked over to see who her partner was. Good heavens: I was witnessing Soon Yi and Woody in animated discussion! Man, they were really excited about the play, too.  I turned back around to keep from staring. But a sense of elation soared within me: I'd landed a better seat than Woody Allen!

A minute later, though, it occurred to me: Hmmm, Crimes & Misdemeanors IS pretty Ibsen-esque (or, perhaps, Ibsenian). Yeah, yeah, old news to most, I know, but I haven't spent any time thinking about Allen's films since 1992. But what now? Should I go up to him and say hello? No, I hate doing that to celebs, especially when they're out trying to enjoy themselves at the theater. Besides, I really had nothing of interest to say to the guy. Well, I could go punch him on the arm and say, "Mr. Allen, I believe you, and I support you in your fight against the International Victims Industry." But I realized it was impossible to say that without sounding ironic. If only D&D had come. He'd have talked to Woody [Drink, you blew it buddy; you missed your chance to both meet Woody and embarrass the hell out of DJ all at the same time]. In the event I waited, silent, for the second half of the play to commence, and of course, during the ovation at the end, he and the Mrs. slipped out before they could be buttonholed.

Is there a lesson in all this? Yeah, I think it's . . . BAM, what a happenin' place. This is the second time I've been this season (the first was for Frank Langella in King Lear). Usually the thought of venturing into darkest Crooklyn fills me with dread, but I'm starting to warm to the place. Too bad my event at Barclay's got rescheduled . . .

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13264 on: March 17, 2014, 02:07:55 PM »

Nora: A Short Film Responding to Henrik Ibsen's A Doll's House (2012) - 7/10.
Oops, I wandered off topic and forgot to post the link for those who might want it. It's worth 9 minutes of your time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CY8s2MqPyM

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13265 on: March 17, 2014, 04:06:02 PM »

Inside Llewyn Davis - 9/10

2nd viewing since friday. This is the most haunting and depressing movie ever.

www.ThibautOskian.com
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #13266 on: March 17, 2014, 09:48:07 PM »

DJ - nice story  Wink

But I can't think of anything I'd wanna say to Woody Allen.

I haven't seen his movies, so I'd have nothing to say about his creative life; his relationship with Soon-Yi is old news, so it's not like I'd scream "CREEP!" - I'd have nothing to say about his personal life. All I'd do is try not to vomit. (and I don't think Soon-Yi is attractive, but that's beside the point. and I would't call Woody a gent, but that's beside the point.)

on a somewhat related note: I once arranged an economic debate for the Federalist Society's chapter at my law school; to argue the liberal side, by buddy arranged for a professor from Columbia University to be on the panel.... guy was a jackass (naturally), and a few months later, I saw in the news that this professor - who was 46 years old - was arrested for having engaged in a 3-year-long consensual relationship with his 24-year old daughter. No, this is not an April Fools Day joke. A guy whom I had met, whose hand I had shaken, who name was on the flyer I had created, had been fucking his daughter.....

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13267 on: March 18, 2014, 06:29:12 AM »

DJ - nice story  Wink
Oh, I forgot the best part! At the end of intermission, I suddenly realized I'd been standing up in the well-lit hall for 20 minutes with my fly open. So it's a good thing I didn't walk up to Allen and try to talk to him. Can you imagine, I walk up to him, he's sitting down, which would put his eyeline at about my crotch level, and I still don't realize I'm unzipped? What would he have thought if suddenly I started babbling something about subtextHuh?

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13268 on: March 18, 2014, 06:40:51 AM »

Inside Llewyn Davis - 9/10

2nd viewing since friday. This is the most haunting and depressing movie ever.
Weird. I find it incredibly uplifting. The film is not so much about the man, as it is about his music. But it isn't really "his" music, anyway. He's channeling a tradition, a tradition he symbolically passes on to The Zim (they sing "farewell" to each other) at the film's end. That tradition is destined for a larger, mainstream audience: it will make a successful 2013 movie about the subject possible. Good things are coming, the film tells us.

I really like the photography in this movie. Every time I think about scenes in the film I see them in black & white. When I go back again and watch them and see them in color, I'm amazed. This must have been the look Melville was going for all those years ago--color that makes you think of black & white. I'd love to see what someone could do with this look in a neo noir.

You should check out Another Day, Another Time, if for no other reason than to see The Punch Brothers take a crack at "The Tumbling Tumbleweeds" (it's the first track up). There's some other good stuff from the concert too.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13269 on: March 18, 2014, 07:22:35 AM »

Weird. I find it incredibly uplifting. The film is not so much about the man, as it is about his music. But it isn't really "his" music, anyway. He's channeling a tradition, a tradition he symbolically passes on to The Zim (they sing "farewell" to each other) at the film's end. That tradition is destined for a larger, mainstream audience: it will make a successful 2013 movie about the subject possible. Good things are coming, the film tells us.

I see a film about a regular guy trying to make a living from his passion and who's on the verge of abandoning the fight. There are plenty of those guys around me. I relate to him myself in many ways. Good things are definitely coming, but not for him. He's the one that missed his chance. Not by far. Partly because of what he did/does (he keeps doing the wrong choices), partly because of who he is (not really a dick, just a selfish man that cannot "connect with people").

You're right about the neo noir aesthetic. The film itself often wanders into noir territories: the beat up, the Goodman sequence... It really makes you beg for a real neo noir.

I'll check Another Day, Another Time the next time I do some editing with the TV in the background. That shouldn't happen before this summer, unfortunately.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 07:27:39 AM by noodles_leone » Logged

www.ThibautOskian.com
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13270 on: March 18, 2014, 03:10:06 PM »

Just started watching BLUE IS THE WARMEST COLOR (Criterion DVD, rented from Netflix). Man, this director is obsessed with food. Wtf does he think we wanna see nasty closeups of people eating??? Have an engagement party for my cousin now, so won't be able to finish the movie for a while.....

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13271 on: March 18, 2014, 04:16:29 PM »

I see a film about a regular guy trying to make a living from his passion and who's on the verge of abandoning the fight. There are plenty of those guys around me. I relate to him myself in many ways. Good things are definitely coming, but not for him. He's the one that missed his chance. Not by far. Partly because of what he did/does (he keeps doing the wrong choices), partly because of who he is (not really a dick, just a selfish man that cannot "connect with people").
It's not entirely his fault. He's just on the scene too soon, the audience for his music hasn't been created yet (Dylan will help do that). When Bud Grossman listens to Llewyn perform and then pronounces that he doesn't see any money in what Llewyn does Grossman is--we can easily see from our vantage point in the 21st Century--being extremely shortsighted. Llewyn is really good. But this kind of thing happens all the time. Talent is necessary but not sufficient to break into many industries.  It's tough if you want a particular career in a field and its denied you, but your life is not your career. Llewyn will not make it in the music biz, but he does have the consolation of having a skill he can practice on his own. It's not like the film industry where you have to depend on a thousand other A-holes just to be able to fulfill your tiny niche in the big machine. If you are a musician you always have your music, whether you're a professional or not, and Llewyn, whose talent is considerable, has something great he can return to throughout his life. And hey, we, the audience watching the film, also get the benefit of Llewyn's/Oscar Isaac's performances. The story is sad, the music is (mostly) sad, but even sad music is uplifting. When I think of Llewyn, I don't think of him as a loser: I think of him performing, and the great joy that is available (to him, to us) in the music.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13272 on: March 18, 2014, 04:49:59 PM »

Man, this director is obsessed with food. Wtf does he think we wanna see nasty closeups of people eating???

He's well-known for that. There is a famous 20 minutes "couscous" scene in La Graine Et Le Mulet. Many people who didn't like Blue say it's a film about spaghettis and glanders.

It's not entirely his fault. He's just on the scene too soon, the audience for his music hasn't been created yet (Dylan will help do that). When Bud Grossman listens to Llewyn perform and then pronounces that he doesn't see any money in what Llewyn does Grossman is--we can easily see from our vantage point in the 21st Century--being extremely shortsighted. Llewyn is really good.

I partly disagree. Yes, he's on the scene too soon, so there is that. Still, Grossman is fully right: the guy is good, but he lacks a little something. He's a Garfunkel. Maybe Mike was a Paul Simon.
And he's not a loser. He's someone who lost. Like you say, it happens all the time.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 04:51:19 PM by noodles_leone » Logged

www.ThibautOskian.com
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13273 on: March 19, 2014, 02:05:24 AM »

Just finished BLUE IS THE WARMEST COLOR. Waste of time. 6/10 ... To be honest, I pretty much knew all about this movie before I watched it (which always diminishes it somewhat) and I had very low expectations (which doesn't give a great chance of liking it when I see it.) And it was about as bad as I'd expected. The only real good thing I can say about it is that the acting is amazing. And there are a few scenes toward the end which I thought were good 

SPOILER ALERT

The breakup scene; and the subsequent cafe scene - that is something I assume anyone who has endured a painful breakup and still was in pain years later could relate to

END OF SPOILERS

Otherwise, don't watch this movie unless you love endless closeups of spaghetti and snot, crying girls eating their own snot; people eating eating eating eating, dancing, a shitload of that; numerous shots of a girl tying up her hair then letting it down, then tying it again..... I don't know if this director just loves doing endless shots of things that interest him, or if there is some nerdy deeper meaning behind each of these or whatever, but I found myself forwarding thru a few dancing and eating scenes, quite a few times I said 'no, they're not gonna have ANOTHER spaghetti meal scene, are they?"
Golden Palm??? No way. Maybe a golden spaghetti.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13274 on: March 19, 2014, 02:27:52 AM »

YOUNGBLOOD HAWKE (1964) 8.5/10

Pages: 1 ... 883 884 [885] 886 887 ... 1169 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM