Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2017, 05:53:59 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 885 886 [887] 888 889 ... 1170 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1843314 times)
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13290 on: March 23, 2014, 04:44:00 AM »

I haven't seen this film and probably never will. It sounds like 2 hrs. of obviousness (ie. tedium). So, I can't really comment on it, but from what I've heard about it I'm pretty sure there are characters in it. Characters who may not be all that well written, or all that well acted, by characters nonetheless.

There are characters, but they're terribly written and inconsistent. And not very well played, even by good actors. People like Benedict Cumberbatch really show their limitations here.

This is exactly what is missing from Wes Anderson's latest film. We get a series skits. Skits do not require characters since all that is necessary from a scene is that the joke or the sentiment or the what-have-you is communicated. It's Saturday Night Live done the Anderson way, with visual panache and humor-inducing preciousness.

It was not always so. The panache and preciousness were always there to a degree, but not at the expense of characters. To my mind, Rushmore is a masterpiece, not because Max is so quirky, but because beneath the quirkiness there is a real human being hungry for the approval of others. Through a series of trials, he finally gets the approval he seeks, and in the process forges bonds with other very human characters. The film is both funny and dramatically satisfying. Bottlerocket worked almost as well. I did not think Tenenbaums, The Life Aquatic, or The Darjeeling Express were as successful, though not because of a lack of commitment to characters (more of a problem of fitting real characters smoothly into the Anderson style). But things began going seriously wrong with Fantastic Mr. Fox. Here was, ostensibly, a children's film, thus obviating the need for psychological complexity. It was also an animated film, so Anderson could elevate visuals over substance. All well and good for a one off, but Anderson, when he came back to live action, neglected to return to character driven drama. With Moonrise Kingdom he featured pre-adolescent hero and heroine who, though not in any way precocious, were more mature than any of the adult characters (that was the joke). Now in Budapest Hotel we get more of the child-adults from the previous film, all concerned with petty things. They are amusing to a point, but they can never develop, because to develop would mean to cease to be petty, and pettiness is the source of their humor. Thus they continue on, cartoons made flesh.

A shame, really. Anderson early on showed what he is capable of, but I don't think he'll ever find his way back to that point. There is just too much positive feedback for him to ever give up being who he's become. He is now a boutique-level Disney.

Anderson has characters in some of his recent work. Life Aquatic is the more human of his films. Darjeeling limited really has something too. It's just not apparent at the first viewing. It took me at least 3 watches to begin to appreciate Life Aquatic and 2 for Dardjeling. The characters in Moonrise have very little to offer because he practically abandoned the adults in that one. I have the feeling Budapest is not going to get any better with the next viewings. It's a shame because the whole nazi stuff could have gone much further.

People have shared the following video a lot these days:

https://vimeo.com/89302848

... usually commenting something like "Wes Anderson is obsessed by symmetry" or some kind of non sens. He's not obsessed with symetry, he tries hard to have his films look vintage. Centered composition in the easiest and laziest tool in his box to do so. I'm not saying he shouln't compose like that, I'm saying that the fascination of movie goers for this cheap trick show that he's overrated and misjudged right now. Just like Tim Burton was in the late 90's. If he follows Burton's path, it means that Anderson will become less and less interesting while gaining mainstream acceptance, and then will just do dated garbage that's not only empty but also 10 years late. I hope something happens before.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 04:51:29 AM by noodles_leone » Logged

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #13291 on: March 23, 2014, 08:34:18 AM »

Anderson has characters in some of his recent work. Life Aquatic is the more human of his films. Darjeeling limited really has something too. It's just not apparent at the first viewing.
You're obviously very slow, because I spotted things in both the very first time out. Aquatic has the father-son dynamic in play, effectively so, and when Owen Wilson goes down for the count there's a real sense of loss. Darjeeling waits until Angelica Huston shows to play its hand: a mother-and-sons dynamic. Again, the characters matter.

As I said, Anderson was still working with characters until FMF. Now, everything is very cartoony. I don't need Anderson to supply me with cartoons, I can get all I want elsewhere (and he can't provide me with anything as interesting as Girls und Panzer).

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13292 on: March 23, 2014, 08:56:49 AM »

I'm not slow I was distracted: I was actively looking for the gay subtext, just like you teached us.

www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13293 on: March 23, 2014, 11:03:06 AM »

Quai d'Orsay/The French Minister (2013) - 7/10. A frothy comedy about a novice speech writer working for a French minister. All the things you'd expect: hypocrisy, bureaucracy, in-fighting. But with bon mots by the plane load. And everything builds to the big speech at the UN Security Council meeting that gets a spontaneous ovation. Pleasant, but not as funny as, say, Yes, Minister. And sticking Julie Gayet in as a hot-to-trot staffer with eyes for the hero in a subplot that goes nowhere is a cheat.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13294 on: March 23, 2014, 11:23:49 AM »

DJ: the comic books are much better.

Boardwalk Empire: Season 4 - 6.5/10
A step up from the last season for sure, but the show has still lost its touch since the end of the second season. They keep killing off the only interesting characters. One season to go.

I have only seen the pilot, and it didn't convince me at all. Are seasons 1 and 2 really better than the very average first episode?

« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 11:25:15 AM by noodles_leone » Logged

www.ThibautOskian.com
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #13295 on: March 23, 2014, 10:34:16 PM »

DOUBLE INDEMNITY (4th?viewing) 10/10 Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13296 on: March 24, 2014, 05:51:16 AM »

Rob the Mob (2014) - 6/10. In 1991, during the Gotti trial, a young couple starts robbing social clubs for mobsters. This based-on-a-true-story plotline has an interesting premise, but lacks good execution. One problem is that it takes forever for very simple things to happen (do we really need to see the pair celebrating after every score?). The bigger problem, though, is the no-fault, no-foul approach it takes to the actions of the criminals. The couple, although ex-cons, are really sweet young things who are doing a public service by stealing from gangsters. The gangsters themselves are nice guys, too, doing what they do because they love their families. Somehow, though, people get killed (I wonder why). Nina Ariadna, a Tony-winning stage actress, plays the girl in the piece. I hadn't seen her work before, and she's pretty funny.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13297 on: March 24, 2014, 06:01:01 AM »

But are they much better than Girls und Panzer?

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13298 on: March 24, 2014, 07:08:15 AM »

Nothing is better than Girls und Panzer.
Except may be Paulette en Amazonie.

www.ThibautOskian.com
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13299 on: March 24, 2014, 09:27:38 PM »

I have only seen the pilot, and it didn't convince me at all. Are seasons 1 and 2 really better than the very average first episode?
I thought the pilot was excellent. Seasons 1 and 2 are pretty top notch TV overall. After that it goes from great to just all right.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13300 on: March 25, 2014, 10:36:46 PM »

DOUBLE INDEMNITY (4th?viewing) 10/10 Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

so then I got the urge to see Body Heat again (3rd viewing).... Great movie as well, I give each one a 10/10 rating; but among these two great films, I prefer Double Indemnity

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #13301 on: March 26, 2014, 04:24:32 AM »

Black Hand (1950) Johnny Columbo (Gene Kelly) returns to New York from Italy having sworn a vendetta against the Black Hand who killed his father years earlier. Good noir-ish Crime-Thriller based on a true story, 8/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13302 on: March 26, 2014, 06:04:49 AM »

so then I got the urge to see Body Heat again (3rd viewing).... Great movie as well, I give each one a 10/10 rating; but among these two great films, I prefer Double Indemnity
Then there's something wrong with your rating system.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13303 on: March 26, 2014, 06:05:35 AM »

Black Hand (1950) Johnny Columbo (Gene Kelly) returns to New York from Italy having sworn a vendetta against the Black Hand who killed his father years earlier. Good noir-ish Crime-Thriller based on a true story, 8/10
Haven't seen this. I'll have to check it out.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13304 on: March 26, 2014, 08:40:07 PM »

I have seen this, don't remember my exact rating but I am pretty sure it wasn't that high.

Pages: 1 ... 885 886 [887] 888 889 ... 1170 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM