Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2017, 10:53:46 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 888 889 [890] 891 892 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1763660 times)
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13335 on: April 05, 2014, 02:21:18 AM »

a masterpiece only gets a 9/10?

Hmm, well, yes, it seems so. But I don't give a 9 that often. And a Stanton 4 is probably equal to a D&D 7.

But you are right, the term masterpiece should be restricted to 10/10 films to avoid an inflationary use of it.

Liebelei is one due for a re-watch. Maybe it is a 10er ...

« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 02:25:06 AM by stanton » Logged

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #13336 on: April 05, 2014, 05:53:11 AM »

I dunno. Ophuls' direction is good, but Schnitzler's underlying play is just so-so. It's obvious what's up in the first few minutes: a man will begin a new and virtuous love-affair, but it will not save him from the consequences of a previous, sordid one. Then it takes another 80 minutes for it all to play out. There are occasional flourishes--the bit with the husband and the key is pretty good--but they're not enough to mask the odor of implacable fate (a failing in anything not written by Sophocles). Everything is much better done in Madame de . . . (a true masterpiece) where Ophuls, working with very similar material, gives everything a lighter feel.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #13337 on: April 07, 2014, 08:04:46 AM »

THE MAN WHO SHOT LIBERTY VALANCE (third viewing) still one of the 5 greatest AW's ever made Smiley

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #13338 on: April 07, 2014, 08:28:50 AM »

LE JOUR SE LEVE
Good movie, I give it like a 7-7.5/10. @DJ: I would not say that this movie is definitely better than THE LONG NIGHT, nor that Gabin is better than Fonda.
To be perfectly honest: my enjoyment of LJSL was definitely somewhat hindered by the fact that I had already seen TLN and knew everything that would happen (I believe that except for one or two things at the end which I won't spoil for everyone, the stories are virtually identical) and I saw TLN quite a while ago and can't remember my exact rating, so I'll just say that both are good films and leave it at that Smiley Smiley
The sleazy guy in LJSL is very good, but IMO he's not as good as Vincent Price (when it comes to sleaze, who is? Wink ) although it's quite possible that it's an unfair comparison for me to make as I can appreciate the English-speaking Price's sleaziness better.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13339 on: April 07, 2014, 08:44:26 AM »

The sleazy guy in LJSL is very good,
Jules Berry. He plays the devil in Les Visiteurs du Soir, so I guess he knew how to do bad guys.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #13340 on: April 07, 2014, 10:56:15 AM »

Satan In High Heels (1962) Directed by Jerald Intrator, Starring Meg Myles (The Phenix City Story (1955)), Grayson Hall (Night of The Iguana (1964), (Dark Shadows TV), Del Tenney, Mike Keene, Robert Yuro, Sabrina. Called a 1962 American "sexploitation film" it's actually a curiously well enough done and very film noir-ish in spots especially the opening intro carnival sequence which will remind you of Nightmare Alley. A John Waters/Devine wet dream 6.5/10

« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 10:57:17 AM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13341 on: April 07, 2014, 12:53:17 PM »

Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014) - 7/10. Quite a bit different from the first film: this is more of a techno-thriller, with Fury the new M and Hydra the new SPECTRE. Even Robert "The Condor" Redford is in place to further establish the espionage bona fides of the picture. And for a while, the concept works. There's a nice 0-dark-30 sequence at the beginning, and later, a great attempt on Fury's life that is both exciting and chuckle-filled. Things start to get repetitive, though: car chases and gun battles are followed by gun battles and car chases. Then there are the revelations, many of which are telegraphed. Eventually, the climax comes, and, Avengers-like, it just goes on and on and on. Part of the problem is that this is not just a Captain America movie, it's a Captain-America-and-The-Black-Widow-and-(introducing!)-The-Falcon movie. And that means that each superhero must have his or her ultimate duel, so those all have to occur concurrently and be intercut, and meanwhile there's a countdown to doomsday that flows like molasses. I was exhausted by the end (and then, there's not just one teaser embedded in the credits--there are two!). On the plus side, a lot of the buddy-buddy repartee is amusing (Cap and The Falcon, but also Cap and The Widow). There are LOTS of cameos, not only Stan Lee's, but characters from the first film, and also the occasional appearance of a character from another franchise (guess who's a Hydra agent? Ha!). We also get our first look at Sharon Carter, Cap's future love interest (and, I discovered, the niece of the woman he fancied in Captain America 1). Anyway, I enjoyed this more than Iron Man 3, but I'm pretty sure I'm done with Marvel Studios films.

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #13342 on: April 07, 2014, 12:53:47 PM »

Ji-uchi: Hairy tsuma shimatsu AKA Samurai Rebellion - 8/10
35 mm film. A decent print.

Why do I have the feeling that this film does the samurai stuff better than Kurosawa ever did, and yet my gut feeling is to rate it no higher than 8/10? Must be all the melodramatic talking.

I guess I could push it to 8.5/10.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13343 on: April 07, 2014, 01:18:57 PM »

Paranoid Park (2007) - 7/10

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13344 on: April 07, 2014, 02:21:14 PM »

Ji-uchi: Hairy tsuma shimatsu AKA Samurai Rebellion - 8/10
35 mm film. A decent print.
With Finnish subtitles? Scary.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13345 on: April 07, 2014, 07:46:41 PM »

Criterion/Hulu has Yves Montand week going on. Among the films streaming free (but with commercials) is this:
Les portes de la nuit / Gates of the Night (1946) 8/10. On a winter night in Paris, between Liberation and the end of WW2, the paths of ten people cross and re-cross until fortune seals the fate of each. And in the role of La Fortune is Jean Vilar: hes at every turning, always appearing to warn, predict, give advice, and, Casandra-like, get ignored. But hes philosophical about it: Theyre all the same. You warn them, but they wont listen. If you dont warn them, when it happens, they blame fate. Its like they enjoy having problems, tragedies, complications. Carne and Preverts second-best film. With a young Yves Montand (Yves was young once? Who knew?).
If you've never seen the film, you'd be a jackass to miss this opportunity: http://www.hulu.com/watch/348212?playlist_id=2360&asset_scope=movies

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13346 on: April 07, 2014, 11:52:31 PM »

With Finnish subtitles? Scary.
Once upon a time it seemed like we'd have a chance to become a civilized country. Then we blew it.

(The print was struck in 1981.)

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13347 on: April 08, 2014, 05:11:01 AM »

Snowpiercer - Bong Joon-ho

Too much allegoric stuff for my taste. I had expected to see a very good film, but it was only ok. 6/10

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13348 on: April 08, 2014, 09:45:06 AM »

(The print was struck in 1981.)
And it's still in decent shape? It must not have been screened very much.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13349 on: April 08, 2014, 05:16:08 PM »

Ida (2013) - 9/10. IMDb sez: "Poland, 1962. Anna is a novice, an orphan brought up by nuns in a convent. She has to see Wanda, her only living relative, before she takes her vows. Wanda tells Anna that Anna is Jewish. Both women start a journey not only to find their family tragic story, but who they really are and where they belong." True as far as that goes. What it doesn't mention is that the film is in b&w and--incredibly--framed at 1.33:1. Not only does every shot make you think you're seeing an actual  document of 60s Poland (the locations, seemingly, haven't changed in 60 years), every shot is intensely beautiful. This film needs to be blu-rayed as quickly as possible. In Polish, directed by Pawel Pawlikowski.

Pages: 1 ... 888 889 [890] 891 892 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM