Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2017, 01:38:32 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 889 890 [891] 892 893 ... 1170 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1840344 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #13350 on: April 10, 2014, 09:31:31 AM »

20 Mule Team (1940) Director: Richard Thorpe with Stars: Wallace Beery, Leo Carrillo, Marjorie Rambeau, Douglas Fowley, Noah Beery Jr., Berton Churchill, Arthur Hohl, Clem Bevans, a surprisingly great little Western the back and  forth between Skinner Bill (Beery) and Paiute Pete (Carrillo) is priceless, and you get great Death Valley locations needs a DVD release 8/10
Huh, never heard of this 'til now. Looked it up on IMDb: something about a borax strike? Also, I guess it was Anne Baxter's first picture. I'd love to see it.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13351 on: April 10, 2014, 11:53:02 AM »

Act One (1963) - 5/10. Yesterday I was down at Lincoln Center to see the stage version of this with my good buddy Drink&Destroy. A good time was had by all. Today I discover Dore Schary years ago made a film version starring George Hamilton as Moss Hart and Jason Robards as George S. Kaufman. The play wasn't bad, but the film stinks (I watched it on amazon Prime), despite the fact that it's got Jack Klugman and a pretty funny George Segal for support (and Eli Wallach for one scene). What helped make the play work was one of the largest and most impressive moving sets I've ever seen. The reasons the film failed are adequately detailed in Bosley Crowther's 1963 review: http://www.nytimes.com/movie/review?res=9E01E7DE1531E73BBC4F51DFB4678388679EDE

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #13352 on: April 10, 2014, 12:32:16 PM »

Huh, never heard of this 'til now. Looked it up on IMDb: something about a borax strike? Also, I guess it was Anne Baxter's first picture. I'd love to see it.

It was on TCM the other day.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #13353 on: April 10, 2014, 07:17:12 PM »

It was on TCM the other day.

then I'll try to catch it next time, thanks for the tip  Afro

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13354 on: April 10, 2014, 07:19:22 PM »

Act One (1963) - 5/10. Yesterday I was down at Lincoln Center to see the stage version of this with my good buddy Drink&Destroy. A good time was had by all. Today I discover Dore Schary years ago made a film version starring George Hamilton as Moss Hart and Jason Robards as George S. Kaufman. The play wasn't bad, but the film stinks (I watched it on amazon Prime), despite the fact that it's got Jack Klugman and a pretty funny George Segal for support (and Eli Wallach for one scene). What helped make the play work was one of the largest and most impressive moving sets I've ever seen. The reasons the film failed are adequately detailed in Bosley Crowther's 1963 review: http://www.nytimes.com/movie/review?res=9E01E7DE1531E73BBC4F51DFB4678388679EDE

haha I didn't know they made a movie of this!

yes, a good time (and a good steak and french fries) was definitely had by all  Smiley

I'll make a thread for plays; it's obviously related to movies anyway, why not have a thread for people to rate and discuss the plays they have seen?

Here is the new thread for plays http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=11952.0 I am unaware of any previous thread on this topic; if there is, please let me know and I'll delete this new thread I made

« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 07:26:29 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13355 on: April 11, 2014, 03:27:54 AM »

1. The Cross of Lorraine (1943) 7.5/10 (TCM)

Propaganda movie in support of the French made by MGM (I believe Robert osborne said MGM made the movie at the request of the US government). The movie is about a bunch of French soldiers in a Nazi POW camp (the only French actor of these guys is Jean-Pierre Aumont, the other soldiers are played by actors like Gene Kelly, Hume Cronyn, Wallace Ford, and Jack Lambert. Of course, Cronyn is always a sleazy guy, so in this movie he plays the soldier who also speaks German and enthusiastically volunteers ti be interpreter, cooperates with the Nazis, encourages others to collaborate, to be able to live more comfortably. The movie shows the horrors of the POW camp - Peter Lorre plays one of the Nazis - and later in the movie, after an escape attempt, the scene shifts to a town in occupied France. Point of the movie I guess was to show the Nazi brutality, and the heroism of the Franch soldiers and Franch townspeople who were fighting and resisting the Nazis, and resisting the temptation to collaborate.

2. Classe Tous Risques (1960) 8/10 (Criterion DVD)

3. Hide-Out (1934) 7/10 (TCM)

Cutesy little crime drama/comedy, in which Robert Montgomery plays a New York gangster/ladies man shot while fleeing from the cops; he jumps into his car and drives away furiously and passes out on a farm in some hick town in Connecticut. He is taken in by the kindly farm family, which includes lovely daughter (played by Maureen O'Sullivan).....

I also recently saw on TCM Angel and the Badman (1947), with John Wayne and Gail Russell; the plot of the two movies are very similar, just changed from gangster to gunslinger, from Connecticut farm family to pioneer Quaker family.

In Hide-Out, the family's young son is played by Mickey Rooney. I'm not sure if they showed it now cuz Rooney just died, or if it happened to be on the TCM schedule anyway, but I do know that they are having a full-day tribute to Rooney on Sunday

« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 03:47:01 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13356 on: April 11, 2014, 09:44:53 AM »

Here is the new thread for plays http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=11952.0 I am unaware of any previous thread on this topic; if there is, please let me know and I'll delete this new thread I made
I made one in 2008 when I first came to NY. I can't remember what I called it exactly, something like "On Broadway and Off" or maybe "On and Off Broadway." I only made a couple of post and then I didn't keep it up, so maybe it's not worth resurrecting. We can certainly go with a new thread.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13357 on: April 11, 2014, 10:14:17 AM »

Draft Day (2014) - 7/10. What Moneyball did for professional baseball, this film does for the NFL. Except it has even more B.S. Still, it's lots of fun, and though I probably won't be revisiting it on home media, I enjoyed watching it once. Kevin Costner plays the GM for the Cleveland Browns and on draft day he's trying to wheel-and-deal a better team. I guess the filmmakers picked the Browns because, as perennial underdogs, there is no animus against them by the public at large (OK, but why portray the Seahawks' management as a bunch of creeps? Seahawks management rules!) Jennifer Garner is in the picture too, as Costner's love interest and sounding board (otherwise we'd never know what he's thinking). The deal making is exciting, especially as Costner continues it even after the draft starts (and everyone is on the clock). Given that the film is mostly about telephone conversations, director Ivan Reitman does a terrific job ratcheting up tensions (he accomplishes this with the help of a split screen device, by which he's able to make the actors appear to be playing off each other, as if on stage. He uses this device over and over again, and it is so effective, it never gets old). There's a fair amount of soap-opera material larded in, but that can be overlooked as it never interferes with the central problem. The audience I was with were mostly sports fans, and they seemed to enjoy it, but because it's principally about the business side of American football, it should also go down well with those who dislike or are uninterested in the game itself.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 06:04:23 PM by dave jenkins » Logged

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13358 on: April 12, 2014, 05:54:02 PM »

As we await The Wind and The Lion on blu:

Milius (2013) - 9/10. Does for John Milius what Passion and Poetry did for Sam Peckinpah. And amazon Prime members get to stream it for free (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JM6Y8GK/ref=atv_feed_catalog?tag=imdb-amazonvideo-20?tag=imdb-amazonvideo-20).

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13359 on: April 12, 2014, 06:41:23 PM »

I've heard great things about that docu Jenkins. Will keep an eye out. Afro

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13360 on: April 12, 2014, 07:14:22 PM »

It's definitely worth your time. I hear Netflix has it too.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13361 on: April 13, 2014, 08:56:21 AM »

Rewatches of Wake in Fright and Sunday Too Far Away. Considering some other Aussie or Aussie-themed flicks today, Mad Dog Morgan perhaps?

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13362 on: April 13, 2014, 12:28:22 PM »

As we await The Wind and The Lion on blu:

Milius (2013) - 9/10. Does for John Milius what Passion and Poetry did for Sam Peckinpah. And amazon Prime members get to stream it for free (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JM6Y8GK/ref=atv_feed_catalog?tag=imdb-amazonvideo-20?tag=imdb-amazonvideo-20).

Watched this today. Very nice job - gives a great portrait of Milius the man and moviemaker, with an incredible coterie of interviewees (Spielberg, Coppola, Lucas, Eastwood, Schwarzenegger - seemingly everyone who knew or collaborated with him!). I would have liked more info on his movies' actual productions but they covered a lot of ground. I'd give it an 8/10 on the Groggy scale.

I did take issue with the insistence that Milius's politics ruined his career. True he's an outspoken right-winger in a liberal/progressive town, but Farewell to King and Flight of the Intruder flopping more likely killed his career than politics. Even Arnold calls Milius out on this point. Still, a minor niggle in an impressive work. Thanks to DJ for bringing this to my attention.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13363 on: April 13, 2014, 02:09:48 PM »

I did take issue with the insistence that Milius's politics ruined his career. True he's an outspoken right-winger in a liberal/progressive town, but Farewell to King and Flight of the Intruder flopping more likely killed his career than politics. Even Arnold calls Milius out on this point. Still, a minor niggle in an impressive work.
I think they did a good job bringing out the different opinions on this point. They counter the Milius-centric viewpoint (They Blacklisted Me) with the more likely one espoused by Arnold (as you point out) and Clint: it's all about the money. Anyway, how was Milius able to make all that money producing "Rome" if he'd been blacklisted?

I was glad to learn all about the stroke and Milius's road to recovery. I hadn't really heard about it before.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13364 on: April 13, 2014, 02:34:08 PM »

The latter was news to me, too. Glad he seems to be doing well.

Pages: 1 ... 889 890 [891] 892 893 ... 1170 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM