Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2017, 04:41:33 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 891 892 [893] 894 895 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1765877 times)
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13380 on: April 14, 2014, 06:10:25 PM »

To me they both contain 10/10 and 3/10 material. Unlike the following Leone films, that only contain 7+ material.

So I won't disagree with anyone saying they rock. They do. And the musical watch is one of the greatest ideas ever. I'm just saying they don't only rock:

- the mise en scene is revolutionary but the photography is cheap and hasn't aged well
- most supporting characters are caricatures (and yes, there is a difference between a comedia dell'arte treatment of a myth and cheap caricature)
- every scene is supposed to be utterly intense while some don't deserve this intensity. They become heavy-handed.
- the plot is just not half as well thought as it is in GBU/OUATITW

This is why I wouldn't show them to a friend who hasn't seen them without an appropriate warning and a little speech about the importance they had for westerns, cinema and Leone. On the contrary, I know I can show GBU and OUATITW without any introduction other than "Be careful, it's slow."

(I'm not mentioning DYS/OUATIA on purpose, of course. They're flawed and rock in their own way.)

Add pokey pacing (especially the middle hour) which drags the film out without building mood or atmosphere, and silly plotting (well, I guess that's already your last bullet point). Indio's master plan is just a bum steer to explain how Manco and Mortimer make it to the last reel alive.

Saturday nights with Groggy
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13381 on: April 15, 2014, 12:43:36 AM »

Yes that was my bullet point... The biggest plot hole being the way Mortimer gets the information that Indio is going to rob the bank of El Paso. He's just looking for the worst bank to attack while Indio got the idea from the guy in his cell.

D&D: actually none of this really matters but let's pretend it matters very much or the board and many others are pointless Smiley

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13382 on: April 15, 2014, 01:07:47 AM »

doesn't it suck to be such a nerd artist?

Wink

I can of like it  Grin

www.ThibautOskian.com
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13383 on: April 15, 2014, 02:04:40 AM »

Yes that was my bullet point... The biggest plot hole being the way Mortimer gets the information that Indio is going to rob the bank of El Paso. He's just looking for the worst bank to attack

But this is a great idea, this was a very different way of storytelling, especially how it is done in the film where Leone cuts then to the El Paso sign, and when the camera pulls down it reveals not Mortimer but Monco riding into the town, who obviously had the same idea.
The first half is often excellent, it is only after the bank robbery that the plot often becomes silly, that it seems uninspired instead of inventive, that the screenplay looks like El Indio wrote if after smoking something. Luckily the finale is great again.

FAFDM is a transition film between the roughness of FOD and the narrative brilliance of GBU. Everything which is good in FAFDM is even better (often much better) in GBU. Leone develops his storytelling technique and his visual style, but GBU is superior in every respect. Compared to GBU and OUTW FAFDM seems indeed to be a lesser film. Still one other directors can only dream of.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13384 on: April 15, 2014, 04:20:23 AM »

I fully agree, although I've always seen FAFDM as something between FOD and OUATITW (old west vs SW, flashbacks, use of music...) while GBU would be "the definitive FoD".

« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 04:25:11 AM by noodles_leone » Logged

www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #13385 on: April 15, 2014, 06:16:33 AM »

The Woman in the Fifth / La femme du Vème (2011) - 5/10. After seeing Ida I'm on a Pawel Pawlikowski kick and decided to check this one out. An interesting cast: Ethan Hawke and Kristin Scott Thomas and Joanna Kulig (the director's muse, apparently), all up to weird things in Paris. Although beautifully shot, the story turns out to be pretty similar to Cronenberg's Spider, itself an empty exercise in obfuscation. Not even the presence of KST can save this film; but that may be because she isn't in enough scenes.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13386 on: April 15, 2014, 09:40:42 PM »

Sandra - 7/10 - Claudia Cardinale is a socialite with a hidden past; Jean Sorrel, her sleazy brother with a shameful secret. They reunite to commemorate their father, killed in the Holocaust; shenanigans ensue. Minor Visconti, worth watching for the leads and the photography, but it suffers for being a chamber drama as overwrought and outlandish as his epics. Visconti's no Tennessee Williams.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13387 on: April 15, 2014, 09:50:08 PM »

It was Claudia's birthday a couple days ago.

www.ThibautOskian.com
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13388 on: April 15, 2014, 09:57:15 PM »

It's still Claudia's birthday today here. Which is precisely why I watched it.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13389 on: April 15, 2014, 11:12:30 PM »

Wink

www.ThibautOskian.com
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #13390 on: April 16, 2014, 05:44:58 AM »

Jackie Brown 9/10 forgot how good it was  Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13391 on: April 16, 2014, 06:29:14 AM »

Sandra - 7/10 - Claudia Cardinale is a socialite with a hidden past; Jean Sorrel, her sleazy brother with a shameful secret. They reunite to commemorate their father, killed in the Holocaust; shenanigans ensue. Minor Visconti, worth watching for the leads and the photography, but it suffers for being a chamber drama as overwrought and outlandish as his epics. Visconti's no Tennessee Williams.
Also, unless you're D&D, the "shameful secret" doesn't shock anymore, making the whole thing much ado about nothing much.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13392 on: April 16, 2014, 06:29:45 AM »

The most touching film by QT.

www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13393 on: April 16, 2014, 08:07:37 AM »

I will agree it's pretty to look at, and I love Audrey's dance in the nightclub.
Also the routine Fred does immediately afterwards outside Audrey's window. The Blu-ray is here!

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13394 on: April 16, 2014, 04:53:51 PM »

Also, unless you're D&D, the "shameful secret" doesn't shock anymore, making the whole thing much ado about nothing much.

True, though I don't think it's possible to treat the subject delicately. But then Visconti doesn't treat anything delicately.

Pages: 1 ... 891 892 [893] 894 895 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM