Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2017, 01:23:55 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 892 893 [894] 895 896 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1768156 times)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #13395 on: April 16, 2014, 07:07:45 PM »

Also, unless you're D&D, the "shameful secret" doesn't shock anymore, making the whole thing much ado about nothing much.

lemme guess, is this something to do with abortion?

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13396 on: April 16, 2014, 07:11:12 PM »

Yes that was my bullet point... The biggest plot hole being the way Mortimer gets the information that Indio is going to rob the bank of El Paso. He's just looking for the worst bank to attack while Indio got the idea from the guy in his cell.

D&D: actually none of this really matters but let's pretend it matters very much or the board and many others are pointless Smiley

are we really talking about "plot holes" in a Leone film? Really? Does plot mean anything in a Leone film? Really?

GBU has two incredible scenes not replicated in cinema before or since - The Ecstasy of Gold and (even more so) The Trio - but otherwise, I would not say that GBU is necessarily a better film than FAFDM. Both great, I don't feel much of a need to rank levels of greatness. I'll continue to enjoy FAFDM and pity those who don't  Tongue

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #13397 on: April 16, 2014, 08:57:04 PM »

Le pacte des loups , Brotherhood of the Wolf (2001) Beautifully shot genre bender film 3rd viewing.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13398 on: April 16, 2014, 09:24:36 PM »

lemme guess, is this something to do with abortion?

Nope.

Saturday nights with Groggy
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13399 on: April 16, 2014, 11:41:43 PM »

Nope.

So what's this big secret? Brother/sister, is it something to do with incest?

or is she, GASP, a Commie?  Shocked

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13400 on: April 16, 2014, 11:49:59 PM »

Nights of Cabiria (1957) 9.5/10

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13401 on: April 17, 2014, 01:10:30 AM »

are we really talking about "plot holes" in a Leone film? Really? Does plot mean anything in a Leone film? Really?

Well, yeah, we're talking about plot holes in  Leone films. Probably because Leone movies tend to have some of the best scripts ever written. So yes, the "story" means something (it's kind of the only reason you have the patience so sit through 2h30 of film. You wouldn't even stay more than 30 minutes in front of the best painting ever, no matter how cool and beautiful and poetic and fun and whatever it looks).
Especially in his first 2 westerns tht are a lot based on clever tricks and manipulations.

GBU has two incredible scenes not replicated in cinema before or since - The Ecstasy of Gold and (even more so) The Trio - but otherwise, I would not say that GBU is necessarily a better film than FAFDM. Both great, I don't feel much of a need to rank levels of greatness. I'll continue to enjoy FAFDM and pity those who don't  Tongue

Do you really think GBU is (appart from the cemetery scenes) more or less as well shot as FADFM? I see not one but 2 worlds between the 2.
Like I said, I enjoyed and still enjoy FAFDM a lot.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 01:12:10 AM by noodles_leone » Logged

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13402 on: April 17, 2014, 04:17:44 AM »

If you "enjoy" a movie "a lot," I don't see how you can only rate it a 7/10

I enjoy FAFDM every bit as much as GBU. If you tell me I can watch 1 more movie and then I die, there's a good chance I would choose FAFDM. Again, I'm not saying one is definitely better than another, what I am saying is that generally with Leone movies, I consider them to be on such astronomically high levels of awesomeness that choosing between them is like choosing between champagne and caviar: A) You can't  go wrong either way, and B) I have no interest in choosing

Wink

« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 05:39:51 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13403 on: April 17, 2014, 04:39:49 AM »

Ok Smiley
I rate it 7/10 because there is a lot of 9-10/10 material in it (and some bad stuff). So I enjoy it a lot more than, say, The Fugitive, that is probably a 7/10 too.
That being said, I'll always chose champagne over caviar.

www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #13404 on: April 17, 2014, 05:27:19 AM »

So what's this big secret? Brother/sister, is it something to do with incest?
That might be the answer. The problem for this film is that no matter what the secret is (unless, perhaps, one or both of them is a murderer), we are never sufficiently invested in the characters to care. Both brother and sister are children of privilege. Neither has done anything to earn our admiration (although Claudia's concern for her father's reputation is laudable). It would be something else again if the characters were, say, crusading politicians with a dirty secret. But these people are completely unimportant. And, as Groggy suggests, Visconti's approach is to unwisely load up the bathos. The hand-wringing is never commensurate with the subject at hand.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13405 on: April 17, 2014, 05:30:04 AM »

I'll always chose champagne over caviar.
Bubbles in wine is a sin.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13406 on: April 17, 2014, 05:30:47 AM »

If you "enjoy" a movie "a lot," I don't see how you can only rate it a 7/10

Maybe you should ask him how he defines a 7. I remember that a D&D 7 is similar to a Stanton 5.

Still I also think that Noodles rates FAFDM maybe a bit too low. A film that contains 10er stuff is for me more worth ( = more enjoyable) than a film which is constantly on the 7 level. And I don't think that there is bad stuff in FaFDM. Only some minor stuff here and there. Leone was still learning and sharpening his style.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13407 on: April 17, 2014, 05:47:57 AM »

Maybe you should ask him how he defines a 7. I remember that a D&D 7 is similar to a Stanton 5.

That's still not a very accurate thing to say. We have different tastes; maybe I once rated a film a 7/10 when you would have rated it a 5/10 - and at the same time, I am sure there are films you love that I hate. The only way to make you statement accurate is for there to be a film that both of us like exactly the same yet I rate it a 7/10 and you rate it a 5/10. Of course, that is impossible to know, so this whole business is so theoretical.
To the extent that you can quantify a rating: for me, a 7/10 is the lowest rating for a "Good" movie. Anything below 7/10 means "bad" or "mediocre." If I actually enjoyed myself, if I'd say it was a good movie, then I can't give it less than a 7/10. (Of course, it goes without saying that even lower-rated movies have moments of enjoyment.)

Whether or not I'd "recommend" a movie is a different story; maybe I'd only actually recommend it if it's a "very good" movie, which for me is a minimum of 8/10.

But stanton somehow seems to think that a 5/10 is a good rating for a movie. Sorry, but I don't think too many people will watch a movie based on a 5/10 rating; and I'd bet that (for whatever it's worth) most people on this board have a closer rating system to me than you - they may not have the same taste as I do (which two people ever do?) but I don't know anyone else who considers a 5/10 a good movie.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13408 on: April 17, 2014, 06:01:46 AM »

5/10 = average
Under 5: it's a bad movie = don't waste your time
Above 5 : it's a good movie = you won't waste your time
5.5/10 means good movie.

www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13409 on: April 17, 2014, 06:20:13 AM »

Five out of 10 is a failing grade (as in an "F). 6=D; 7=C; 8=B; 9=A; 10=A+.

Pages: 1 ... 892 893 [894] 895 896 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM