Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 02:19:12 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 893 894 [895] 896 897 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1769065 times)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #13410 on: April 17, 2014, 06:28:23 AM »

Five out of 10 is a failing grade (as in an "F). 6=D; 7=C; 8=B; 9=A; 10=A+.

thank you

I don't see how anyone can possibly say that a 5.5/10 or a 6/10 is a good movie.

if everyone has such widely disparate ratings, then the ratings cease to mean anything at all. To me, the whole point of a ratings system is to be an easy way of letting others know whether they should watch the movie or not; but if the numbers mean different things to different people, then they are meaningless.

Maybe it would be best if (HERESY ALERT!) we got rid of the numbers system and just used the following rating:

AWFUL
BAD
MEDIOCRE
GOOD
VERY GOOD
EXCELLENT
GREAT

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13411 on: April 17, 2014, 06:38:59 AM »

Blondie Johnson (1933) MEDIOCRE

(I was gonna give this a 6.5/10 - my highest rating for a movie that I do NOT consider good - but if we do switch away from the number ratings, let this be the first, so I give this a "MEDIOCRE" rating.)

Joan Blondell plays a woman done bad by the Depression who decides that with God as her witness, she'll never go hungry again; starts with little schemes, then movies up the racket, etc. This is really a gangster film - though of course there is a romantic element to it cuz Blondell is a woman - if you substituted her for a Cagney or a Robinson, this is a regular gangster film.
Interestingly, I saw that this was a First National picture but Warner Bros. was never mentioned - and then I looked at Wikipedia, and I see (9th paragraph here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warner_Bros.#1925.E2.80.9335:_Sound.2C_Color.2C_Style ) that for a while, WB was required to release a few pics a year under the First National name without the WB name.
Therefore, IMO this is part of the Warners gangster cycle.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13412 on: April 17, 2014, 06:53:52 AM »

thank you

I don't see how anyone can possibly say that a 5.5/10 or a 6/10 is a good movie.

You sound like a french leftish criticizing the way students are ranked in our high end universities.

if everyone has such widely disparate ratings, then the ratings cease to mean anything at all.

Just adopt my rating system and we will be fine.

Seriously, like I always say, the rating you give has no interest to me if I don't know you and your ratings. But I know you and I know the way you rate. I also know the kind of movies you like/dislike. That's why your opinion of a movie will give me a lot of clues about what I'll think of the movie when I'll see it.

Also, a grade is a great start for a debate, which is the point of the board.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #13413 on: April 17, 2014, 08:02:23 AM »

Also, a grade is a great start for a debate, which is the point of the board.
Absolutely agree. The justification for the grades is the interesting part of the rating. If I give a "10" to Vertigo and a "10" to Rear Window, does anyone learn anything about how those 2--very different--films compare? Not unless I also supply some kind of rationale for my grading. Grades are not ends, they are points of departure.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13414 on: April 17, 2014, 08:20:57 AM »

Not to mention that all grading systems, in and of themselves, are hopelessly subjective, especially in ranking films. Why use the 10 system instead of an Ebert/Maltin 4 stars or an Amazon five? Which is more a accurate gauge of one's feelings?

Saturday nights with Groggy
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13415 on: April 17, 2014, 12:16:01 PM »

Debate is the point of the board?

Not for its own sake. If we disagree on something we can debate it, but to create a stupid system which will inevitably lead to debate, just for the sake of creating debate, that's kinda dumb.

@Groggy: whether we do an "out of 4" or "out of 5" or "out of 10" rating is irrelevant; we'd have the same arguments. Eg. If we chose an Ebert-like "out of 4" rating, then n_l and stanton would probably say that 2 stars was a good rating, and I would say that no movie is good unless it's at least 3 stars.

Ditto if we did an "out of 100" rating.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13416 on: April 17, 2014, 12:38:44 PM »

Mathematically a 5/10 should be half as good as a 10er masterpiece. And half as good as a masterpiece is still a watchable film. Every more point means for me that a film has some more qualities. Or in other words some more levels of entertainment. Which means that a 4/10 film is watchable, but nothing I would recommend.

I still don't understand why people use a rating system with 11 choices (zero included) and then only use 4 numbers, and everything below is bad. It's not very interesting to have 6 or 7 numbers for time wasters, and only 4 for the fun films. And actually then a 7 sounds already like a pretty low rating.
The only sense in a 10 point system is to use it to differentiate. And for that I use the whole scale.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13417 on: April 17, 2014, 02:12:19 PM »

Not for its own sake. If we disagree on something we can debate it, but to create a stupid system which will inevitably lead to debate, just for the sake of creating debate, that's kinda dumb.

@Groggy: whether we do an "out of 4" or "out of 5" or "out of 10" rating is irrelevant; we'd have the same arguments. Eg. If we chose an Ebert-like "out of 4" rating, then n_l and stanton would probably say that 2 stars was a good rating, and I would say that no movie is good unless it's at least 3 stars.

Ditto if we did an "out of 100" rating.

No

Mathematically a 5/10 should be half as good as a 10er masterpiece. And half as good as a masterpiece is still a watchable film. Every more point means for me that a film has some more qualities. Or in other words some more levels of entertainment. Which means that a 4/10 film is watchable, but nothing I would recommend.

I still don't understand why people use a rating system with 11 choices (zero included) and then only use 4 numbers, and everything below is bad. It's not very interesting to have 6 or 7 numbers for time wasters, and only 4 for the fun films. And actually then a 7 sounds already like a pretty low rating.
The only sense in a 10 point system is to use it to differentiate. And for that I use the whole scale.

Yes

Good night!

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13418 on: April 17, 2014, 02:14:50 PM »

@ stanton
most movies (like all types of art) are shit.
IMO more than 75% of movies are worth less than a 7/10. RATING DOES NOT EQUAL PERCENTILE. Maybe 1% of girls are a 10, and ditto for movies. Maybe 10% - of both girls and movies - are an 8/10 and above.
Would you say a pretty girl is a 5? I wouldn't. I sure wouldn't bang a 5.5/10 unless I was awfully drunk.
It seems to me that you look at ratings as (similar to) percentiles, and I couldn't disagree more. IMO a rating is a subjective point between atrocious (0/10) and great (10/10). Since most artworks are shit, most fall in the 6/10-and-below range.

I still think that if we can't agree on what ratings mean, we should just use words. I would hope that a standard "word rating" like I proposed earlier would result in ratings meaning more.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13419 on: April 17, 2014, 02:18:51 PM »

MADELIENE....... VERY GOOD

The subject of rich girl/poor guy/socioeconomic-class-conscious parents/unfulfilled love (of course with either Brits or Americans with British accents) generally irritates me, but this movie does it pretty well (better than THE AGE OF INNOCENCE, both the original and the Scorsese version.
On that note, has anyone here seen the original THE AGE OF INNOCENCE?)

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13420 on: April 17, 2014, 03:02:33 PM »

@ stanton
most movies (like all types of art) are shit.
IMO more than 75% of movies are worth less than a 7/10. RATING DOES NOT EQUAL PERCENTILE. Maybe 1% of girls are a 10, and ditto for movies. Maybe 10% - of both girls and movies - are an 8/10 and above.
Would you say a pretty girl is a 5? I wouldn't. I sure wouldn't bang a 5.5/10 unless I was awfully drunk.
It seems to me that you look at ratings as (similar to) percentiles, and I couldn't disagree more. IMO a rating is a subjective point between atrocious (0/10) and great (10/10). Since most artworks are shit, most fall in the 6/10-and-below range.

No, most movies are not shit, but many are. It is of course like some kind of pyramid. And films in the middle of that pyramid (some would call them 5/10 films) are surely far from fascinating, but also far from bad. They are entertaining, and I never despise things that entertain me.

Rating films is of course subjective, like any other form of judgement. But what does that have to do with percent or percentile?

A pretty girl is not a 5, but a 5 isn't ugly either. (actually I never rated girls, it seems a strange idea)

Come on, you won't say you only judge girls by their looks. A girl that does not look that good on the surface, can still have a fascinating aura, even an comparatively ugly girl can be fascinating. Or is that all part of your girl rating?

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #13421 on: April 17, 2014, 03:33:55 PM »

Come on, you won't say you only judge girls by their looks. A girl that does not look that good on the surface, can still have a fascinating aura, even an comparatively ugly girl can be fascinating. Or is that all part of your girl rating?
DD wouldn't know about that. He never got beyond the watching part.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13422 on: April 17, 2014, 03:44:12 PM »

MADELIENE....... VERY GOOD

The subject of rich girl/poor guy/socioeconomic-class-conscious parents/unfulfilled love (of course with either Brits or Americans with British accents) generally irritates me, but this movie does it pretty well (better than THE AGE OF INNOCENCE, both the original and the Scorsese version.
On that note, has anyone here seen the original THE AGE OF INNOCENCE?)

Which Madeleine are we referring to?

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13423 on: April 17, 2014, 03:46:03 PM »

Not for its own sake.

This from our resident lawyer.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13424 on: April 17, 2014, 03:47:13 PM »

That might be the answer. The problem for this film is that no matter what the secret is (unless, perhaps, one or both of them is a murderer), we are never sufficiently invested in the characters to care. Both brother and sister are children of privilege. Neither has done anything to earn our admiration (although Claudia's concern for her father's reputation is laudable). It would be something else again if the characters were, say, crusading politicians with a dirty secret. But these people are completely unimportant. And, as Groggy suggests, Visconti's approach is to unwisely load up the bathos. The hand-wringing is never commensurate with the subject at hand.

Fair commentary. But at least it's nice to look at. Which can't be said for Visconti's later Conversation Piece.

Pages: 1 ... 893 894 [895] 896 897 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM