Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2017, 07:38:36 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 894 895 [896] 897 898 ... 1169 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1831990 times)
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13425 on: April 17, 2014, 06:36:24 PM »

Okay. 8.5/10 seems rather high, though I haven't seen Madeleine in awhile. The photography's my strongest memory of it.

Saturday nights with Groggy
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #13426 on: April 17, 2014, 08:12:22 PM »

Salvatore Giuliano (1962) 28-year-old outlaw Salvatore Giuliano is found gunned down in a Sicilian courtyard. Little is as it seems. Frank Wolff is one of the main actors 7/10

« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 03:43:19 AM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #13427 on: April 18, 2014, 03:04:45 AM »

I probably liked MADELIENE more than BRIEF ENCOUNTER.
IMO the editing of the trial was terrific.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13428 on: April 18, 2014, 04:56:47 AM »

Mickey Rooney remembrance on TCM continues with.... The Human Comedy (1943).

The story is basically about how an American family in California copes during World War II. The father has passed away shortly before (unrelated to the war) and now, from heaven, he is looking down on his family and narrating.
There is a mother, one son (Van Johnson) in the military; a teen-aged son (Rooney) trying to balance high school with work delivering telegrams to help the family's finances; there's also a young son, a college-aged daughter, and the girl next door who is Van Johnson's girlfriend. The movie stays mostly with the family in California, but at times cuts back to some scenes of Johnson in the military (no fighting scenes)

I can't remember being more torn when watching a movie - a movie that has some very good scenes, and some scenes where the schmaltz is laid on so thick that it makes me wanna tear my hair out. Some scenes are 8/10, some are 0/10. Do I count the number of good and number of bad and average it? God Almighty, the scene at the library was one of the worst scenes in movie history. The scene where Rooney is reading the letter from his brother goes on way too long.

Problem is that in the first part of the movie, the good scenes definitely outweigh the overly schmaltzy ones; but as it gets toward the end, the schmaltz is laid on ultra-thick, and it just leaves you with a bad taste in your mouth for the movie.

So, overall, I'll have to rate this movie a MEDIOCRE 6/10. Next time it plays TCM, you can give it a look, there's some decent stuff there.
And btw, there's one nice scene where the two girls meet 3 soldiers about to ship off and agree to go with them to the movies - give them one nice night with some girls before leaving for the front - one of the soldiers are played by a very young Robert Mitchum.

BTW, Van Johnson has to be one of the most useless actors in Hollywood history. Thankfully he doesn't have a huge role here, he's still kinda young, but he has a solid few scenes, and as usual, he adds nothing to any movie he is in (to put it mildly). This is a guy who got quite a few leading roles, you can definitely call him a "leading man," and I don't think he was ever better than average - and quite often worse than that. I don't know, maybe the girls liked him or something. As an actor, he's a piece of crap.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 05:02:21 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13429 on: April 18, 2014, 05:03:06 AM »

Blackmail (1939) 6.5/10

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13430 on: April 18, 2014, 05:51:46 AM »

Man Hunt - 8/10 - Walter Pidgeon plays an English hunter who almost kills Hitler, gets arrested by the Gestapo, and flees to England tracked by Nazi spy George Sanders. Wartime thriller with lots of loud antifascist speechmaking, but Fritz Lang's excellent direction and the well-crafted plot make it enjoyable.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13431 on: April 18, 2014, 12:24:20 PM »

I made one in 2008 when I first came to NY. I can't remember what I called it exactly, something like "On Broadway and Off" or maybe "On and Off Broadway." I only made a couple of post and then I didn't keep it up, so maybe it's not worth resurrecting. We can certainly go with a new thread.

I found your old thread, DJ, and I - to use Broadway expression - revived it; here it is http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=7811.0

I deleted the new thread I made

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #13432 on: April 18, 2014, 01:34:25 PM »

I found your old thread, DJ, and I - to use Broadway expression - revived it; here it is http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=7811.0
Thanks. Yeah, it's a useful place to dump New York theater stuff. Why the hell not?

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13433 on: April 18, 2014, 11:32:44 PM »

Titanic (1997) - 6/10 - Can't remember the last time I watched this the whole way through, besides catching snippets on TV. Anyway, what insights can I add? The spectacle is really good, with visual effects that hold up surprisingly well. Shame about any scene featuring human beings; what's not hopelessly cornball is cribbed from A Night to Remember.

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #13434 on: April 19, 2014, 12:35:47 AM »

Titanic (1997) - 6/10 - Can't remember the last time I watched this the whole way through, besides catching snippets on TV. Anyway, what insights can I add? The spectacle is really good, with visual effects that hold up surprisingly well. Shame about any scene featuring human beings; what's not hopelessly cornball is cribbed from A Night to Remember.
And like half of the ideas used in the depiction of the disaster can be found in Frank Borzage's 1937 film, History Is Made at Night. It took Borzage only like fifteen minutes to sink the ship but it's not any less dramatic...

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13435 on: April 19, 2014, 12:49:40 AM »

Not to mention the Nazi Titanic movie. Which is where Cameron borrowed the scenes of steerage passengers being locked below decks.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #13436 on: April 19, 2014, 04:39:00 AM »

I Love You to Death (1990)  Still funny after all these years 8/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13437 on: April 19, 2014, 03:27:34 PM »

Under the Skin - 7/10 - Scarlett Johansson is an alien honeypot cruising Glasgow for young single men, harvesting them for... something. It's all incredibly vague and abstract, all unsettling music and imagery with everything else left to the viewer's imagination.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #13438 on: April 19, 2014, 04:12:16 PM »

The Raid 2: Berandal (2014) - 10/10. The putative sequel to The Raid: Redemption, this shares little with the earlier film except star Iko Uwais and a succession of martial arts routines. But what routines! Every possible variation is trotted out and wrung of every wince-inducing possibility: prison yard mud-fu, baseball bat-fu, double clawhammer-fu, double cutlass-fu, and finally, even double shotgun-fu. But the violence doesn't end there. There are knives, guns, automobiles, concrete walls, and more, all doing GBH to an army of stuntmen. You think you've seen the face-on-the-hot-grill number done before? Not until you've experienced every exquisite second of the way its performed here. You think you've seen exciting highway chases with people being thrown under vehicles moving at 80 mph before? Prepare to view the new standard. There's a plot, of course, and it's not a bad one: an undercover Indonesian police officer infiltrates an organized crime family just as that family is being manipulated into a gang war with other elements (including a Japanese gang). But the story is just an excuse for the violence. I think this must be about the most violent film ever made (a distinction it achieves in part due to its long running time: a fast-moving 150 minutes). All the violence is gratuitous, and highly enjoyable (the all-male audience I saw it with was quite vocal, loudly exclaiming every couple of minutes or so). The body count is enormous; the broken limb count is off the charts; the blood-on-the-pavement occasions are so frequent you'd think Jackson Pollack was the art director (yuk, yuk). And yet everything is done with tremendous flair. I was lukewarm on the first film; this one is balls-to-the-wall intense--not for pussies (yes, I'm looking at YOU, Leone board members). And the whole thing was written, directed, and edited by Gareth Evans. Who is this guy? I don't think I can wait for the blu, I'm gonna need to go back to the cinema for another hit on the big screen. Oh, yeah, The Raid 3 has already been announced, so there's that to look forward to.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13439 on: April 19, 2014, 05:47:43 PM »

WHERE EAGLES DARE - 8/10
Caught some details I somehow hadn't already caught the last previous 15 viewings.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 07:20:53 AM by noodles_leone » Logged

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
Pages: 1 ... 894 895 [896] 897 898 ... 1169 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM