Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 05:51:26 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 898 899 [900] 901 902 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1769273 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #13485 on: April 26, 2014, 04:31:04 PM »

Masques (1987) - 6/10. One of Chabrol's potboilers. Philippe Noiret is a successful game show host on French TV (a horrible show where old people sing and dance--noodles_leone knows the type). During a brief hiatus, Noiret invites the young journalist writing his biography to his country house where they can work on the book together. The writer has some other agenda, however, or else why would he be carrying a gun? At the house there are a number of people already--Noiret's masseuse and her husband, Noiret's driver, a mysterious "god daughter" who keeps to her room (a pre-Cyrano Anne Brouchet), and a woman attendant (whose incessant smile really starts getting on your nerves after a while). All here is not as it seems, and soon a game of cat-and-mouse begins between Noiret and the young man. This is well done, and the movie is enjoyable for as long as things remain opaque. But once everybody puts their cards on the table the whole thing becomes rather pedestrian. Throughout, however, Noiret plays his part as the affable swine to perfection, and his performance is the reason to watch the film.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13486 on: April 26, 2014, 06:19:29 PM »

The Undefeated - 6/10 - Middling John Wayne vehicle teaming him with Confederate officer Rock Hudson for mayhem in Mexico. Modestly entertaining; the story crawls all over the place, but the cast, action and photography make it watchable. By Andy McLaglen standards it's practically a masterpiece.

Saturday nights with Groggy
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #13487 on: April 26, 2014, 07:25:38 PM »

Groggy, what's your opinion of CHEYENNE AUTUMN? I know most people don't like it, but I give it an 8/10 (though I always skip the excruciating "Wyatt Earp" scene. Patrick Wayne is one of the worst actors in movie history, IMO Carroll Baker delivers an amazing performance, I  always love Richard Widmark and Edward G. Robinson (even if the color of his scenes are awful cuz they pieces together scenes frrom two different locations!) People often say, "LIBERTY VALANCE was Ford's last good Western," but I disagree, I think that was his last GREAT one, but CHEYENNE AUTUMN is very good IMO.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13488 on: April 26, 2014, 08:42:47 PM »

Beautifully shot, (mostly) good acting and well-intentioned; didactic in its message and dramatically stilted. 6/10 seems fair.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13489 on: April 27, 2014, 02:29:52 AM »

6/10 is it in my opinion to.

Drink, what's wrong with the  Wyatt Earp scene (apart from being wrong in this film). It's great fun. Somehow the most remarkable scene of Cheyenne Autumn.

Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

View Profile
« Reply #13490 on: April 27, 2014, 03:57:05 AM »

Captain America: The Winter Soldier - I'd say about 7/10. It could have focused more on the Winter Soldier and less on the whole SHIELD mess and the CGI explosions. Nick Fury is a total badass, tho. Can't wait for Avengers 2.

I also saw CA: The First Avenger shortly before and it was way better than TWS. Mostly because it's closer to a dark war drama and Red Skull is a very charismatic villain (bring him back!).

I want a HYDRA pin.

"Does this unit have a soul?"
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13491 on: April 27, 2014, 07:00:51 AM »

I remember hating the first Captain America so I've been wary of this one.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13492 on: April 27, 2014, 11:19:46 AM »

TWS is more Groggy-friendly than the first film. It's The Avengers meets 3 Days of the Condor.

Riot in Cell Block 11
(1954) - 6/10. The prisoners in Cell Block 11 riot.

This is a Don Siegel film, so it's tightly constructed and moves at a nice pace. However, it's also a message picture, and getting the message out hamstrings the plot at times. And further, the message is: if we'd only spend more on prisons, there'd be fewer of these pesky riots. Well, 60 years later we know money isn't the answer--riots are down, sure, but gang membership is at an all-time high, to say nothing of anal rape. And recidivism, even with generous work-training programs, remains constant.

But Riot paints a happy fantasy for those who wish to partake. The prisoners are all great guys who just need to catch a break. Many of them are veterans. The only purpose for the riot is to secure better conditions and bring the plight of prisoners to the attention of the public. In casting the firebrand for the riot the filmmakers chose Neville Brand, a not surprising choice. What is surprising is the character portrayal Brand provides. You'll never meet a more reasonable, forthright con than Neville. What a guy! Too bad his evil society has decided to lock him up under less-than-ideal conditions.

Most of the filming was done at Folsom Prison, giving the look of the movie great realism. You need that kind of visual authenticity, I guess, to sell fantasy.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 11:48:28 AM by dave jenkins » Logged

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13493 on: April 27, 2014, 11:58:45 AM »

TWS is more Groggy-friendly than the first film. It's The Avengers meets 3 Days of the Condor.

As good an endorsement as any. Afro

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #13494 on: April 27, 2014, 01:27:37 PM »

@ stanton: that's the point, that it is totally inappropriate for this film.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13495 on: April 28, 2014, 11:10:10 AM »

Masques (1987) - 6/10. One of Chabrol's potboilers. Philippe Noiret is a successful game show host on French TV (a horrible show where old people sing and dance--noodles_leone knows the type). During a brief hiatus, Noiret invites the young journalist writing his biography to his country house where they can work on the book together. The writer has some other agenda, however, or else why would he be carrying a gun? At the house there are a number of people already--Noiret's masseuse and her husband, Noiret's driver, a mysterious "god daughter" who keeps to her room (a pre-Cyrano Anne Brouchet), and a woman attendant (whose incessant smile really starts getting on your nerves after a while). All here is not as it seems, and soon a game of cat-and-mouse begins between Noiret and the young man. This is well done, and the movie is enjoyable for as long as things remain opaque. But once everybody puts their cards on the table the whole thing becomes rather pedestrian. Throughout, however, Noiret plays his part as the affable swine to perfection, and his performance is the reason to watch the film.
A poster on IMDb has made the case (in 2009) that this film is essentially a remake of Curtiz's The Unsuspected (1947). I find his arguments persuasive: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093505/board/nest/153100688?ref_=tt_bd_1

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13496 on: April 28, 2014, 11:05:32 PM »

The Room.

Hilarious all the way through, and I usually get bored with 'funny bad movies' within the first 10 minutes.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13497 on: April 29, 2014, 01:43:34 AM »

This one is really fascinating.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13498 on: April 30, 2014, 07:03:56 AM »

The Wind and the Lion (1975) - 8/10. Blu-ray: 10/10. Wow, the blu sports an almost-LoA quality transfer, the better with which to enjoy Billy Williams sensational photography (he and Milius really like a camera that moves, what?). To say nothing of Terry Leonard's stunts. Or Candy Icebergen's horsewomanship. Or Sean Connery's charm or Brian Keith's convincing bluster. Or Jerry Goldsmith's fantastic score. The blu ports over the extras from the DVD, the vintage behind-the-scenes piece, and Milius's commentary (circa 2003, I guess?). Milius gives really good commentary. Apparently he was the first film director to come to Almeria prepared to surf. From a distance of many years he could still recall with fondness the "five-foot swells" he found on the beach there.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13499 on: April 30, 2014, 03:42:26 PM »

Apparently he was the first film director to come to Almeria prepared to surf.

Was there ever a second one?

Pages: 1 ... 898 899 [900] 901 902 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM