Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 18, 2024, 10:32:22 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
0 and 12 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 901 902 [903] 904 905 ... 1403
: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  ( 5175584 )
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

« #13530 : May 16, 2014, 03:31:39 PM »

For Whom the Bell Tolls (1943) - 5/10
A trivial adaptation of a great novel. Wrong actors for the parts (both Cooper and Bergman), mediocre lighting at the best, overused score, no sense of grittiness (everything's too nice and clean). Sam Wood fails to really reach any of the emotional or thematic depth of the source material. 5/10 because the story isn't bad and there are some nice touches here and there.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #13531 : May 16, 2014, 04:03:38 PM »

For Whom the Bell Tolls (1943) - 5/10
A trivial adaptation of a great novel. Wrong actors for the parts (both Cooper and Bergman), mediocre lighting at the best, overused score, no sense of grittiness (everything's too nice and clean). Sam Wood fails to really reach any of the emotional or thematic depth of the source material. 5/10 because the story isn't bad and there are some nice touches here and there.

Could have used more outdoor locations if I remember right too.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

« #13532 : May 16, 2014, 06:22:03 PM »

Le salaire de la peur / The Wages of Fear (1953) - 9/10. Sooooo much better than the Friedkin remake. It always helps the dramatic tension between the characters if they first actually are characters. The set pieces are indelibly fixed in my mind: the rickety platform scene, the blowing-up-the-rock scene, the oil hole scene. And the way Clouzot signals that the B team didn't make it--masterful. The ending is silly (although it surely influenced Kubrick), but I gotta hand it to the special effects guys: they really knew how to cream a truck.

Did you get the Blu Ray from Criterion? I was actually about to get a copy of Sorcerer since it seems to have gotten released on DVD/Blu-Ray recently but reading this, I should just pick up the Criterion of Wages of Fear.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

The joy of loving is to live in a world of Mandom

« #13533 : May 16, 2014, 08:33:31 PM »

Did you get the Blu Ray from Criterion? I was actually about to get a copy of Sorcerer since it seems to have gotten released on DVD/Blu-Ray recently but reading this, I should just pick up the Criterion of Wages of Fear.
Well, I certainly think The Wages of Fear is the better film. Whether or not the CC blu will give you better value than the CC DVD--that, I can't tell you. You may want to get the Sorcerer blu as well--but I'd recommend starting with The Wages of Fear.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #13534 : May 16, 2014, 08:50:40 PM »

The Other Love (1947) - 8/10. "A concert pianist [Barbara Stanwyck], faced with a terminal illness, must choose between reckless abandon with a race car driver [Richard Conte] or the kinder, gentler love of her debonair doctor [David Niven]." Gee, do you really wonder who she's gonna end up with? This is one of those great pictures where all the professional people never have to work, but they've always got plenty of dough for dinner and nightclubs. Stany does a great job of selling the idea she knows how to play the piano--her fingers sail over the keyboard, and it's no special effect. Of course, she's a modern woman too: "I can't face an unknown future with an unpowdered nose." Ha! After she meets cute with Conte, Stany has several scenes where she manages to avoid divulging any personal info. However, on the night they are to run away together, the pair have this great exchange: Stany--"By the way, there's something you should know. My name is Karen Duncan." Conte: "Not the Karen Duncan." Stany: "Yes, the." Beat. Conte: "If Chopin could see me now!" Ha! The ending is kind of interesting, perhaps more ambiguous than audiences of the time realized. Prime humans can stream this gem for free here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0097SVUQO

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

« #13535 : May 17, 2014, 06:35:55 AM »

Newsfront - 8/10 - Aussie epic chronicling the lives and travails of newsreel photographers in the post-World War II era. Phillip Noyce covers lots of ground ('50s Red-baiting, natural disasters, his protagonists' personal troubles) with the sweep of a full-blown epic. It's staged like a Classic Hollywood piece, shifting from black-and-white to color throughout, wipes and editing style and an overall wistful, nostalgic feel that's appealing. The ensemble cast (Bryan Brown, Wendy Hughes, Chris Haywood) is excellent but Bill Hunter's steadfast protagonist dominates the show.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

« #13536 : May 17, 2014, 08:11:20 AM »

Inside Llewyn Davis (2013)

A beautiful love letter to the 1960s folk scene. It may be slow moving for some, but I found myself captivated by it. I look forward to my second viewing.

The Grand Duel "Il grande duello" (1972)

Lee Van Cleef. Enough said.

« : May 17, 2014, 11:43:28 AM tucumcari bound »

"This train'll stop at Tucumbari."
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #13537 : May 17, 2014, 11:08:40 AM »

The Strange Woman (1946) - 8/10. "For the lips of a strange woman drip honey, and her mouth is smoother than oil; but her end is bitter as wormwood, sharp as a two-edged sword." These words from Proverbs 5:3 and 4 are, at an appropriate moment, spoken by a character in the film and are meant to refer to the scheming heroine, played by Hedy Lamarr. They also provide the putative message of the film, the ultimate femme fatale piece. But how are we to forget that we've enjoyed watching Hedy be bad for the entire running time of the picture? Is this a clever gambit to convict audiences of their own concupiscence, or just another example of Hollywood's bad faith? You decide:  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A1WY6QQ/

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #13538 : May 17, 2014, 11:38:25 AM »

Inside Llewyn Davis (2013)

A beautiful love letter to the 1960s folk scene. It may be slow moving for some, but I found myself captivating by it. I look forward to my second viewing.

It's far broader than just about the folk scene! It's about life and sadness.

Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

« #13539 : May 17, 2014, 11:44:32 AM »

It's far broader than just about the folk scene! It's about life and sadness.

Of course! I like that it wasn't sugar coated.

"This train'll stop at Tucumbari."
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #13540 : May 17, 2014, 12:15:33 PM »

It's about life and sadness.
It's about the power of music (not just folk music) to transcend life and sadness.

stanton
Bounty Killer

« #13541 : May 17, 2014, 12:17:10 PM »

No, it's about cats, and how they enrich one's life ...

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #13542 : May 17, 2014, 12:22:41 PM »

Cats are evil. Feed them to the rats . . .

stanton
Bounty Killer

« #13543 : May 17, 2014, 12:28:14 PM »

My cats (which actually belong to themselves) kill rats ...

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #13544 : May 17, 2014, 12:34:01 PM »

My cats (which actually belong to themselves) kill rats ...
Only because the rats are singled out and cornered and attacked individually. But against a rat army, a cat would fall, like any tyrant would.

: 1 ... 901 902 [903] 904 905 ... 1403  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines