Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 15, 2017, 01:01:23 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 904 905 [906] 907 908 ... 1170 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1838486 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #13575 on: May 24, 2014, 08:57:40 AM »

By the way, and I'm 100% serious here, your gay subtext theory made me look smart (and actually helped me when I needed it) during a production meeting a month ago  Afro
Grin Afro Afro Good on ya.

I can now head out to the Mizoguchi retrospective with a song in my heart.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13576 on: May 24, 2014, 05:47:09 PM »

I had to go to darkest Queens to see these, but here's two from the Mizoguchi Retro at The Museum of the Moving Image.

Meitô bijomaru (1945) 6/10. A slight piece (65 min.) about a sword that fails and one that doesn't. Lots of scenes of sword smiths hammering their tools to perfection. In the end Isuzu Yamada uses her well made weapon (in a fabulous travelling shot) to revenge her murdered father. I knew Yamada could play the shamisen--how could I suspect she could hold her own in a sword fight? What a gal!

Portrait of Madame Yuki (1950) - 9/10. An aristocratic woman (Michiyo Kogure) who despises her husband can't find the will to leave him--because he's so good in bed! Lots of hand wringing in this, but also beautiful shots of Atami and nearby environs, sometimes enhanced with special fog effects. And of course there's Mizo's moving camera for extra fun. Uemura Ken shows up, but not playing a bastard for once, he's actually the heroine's (chaste) best buddy. We even get to see Ken perform on the piano, and (very briefly) the koto (his character supposedly makes his living as a koto instructor). Great film, it would make a fabulous double bill with The Lady of Musashino, but at 88 min. it goes on just a little too long.

Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #13577 on: May 24, 2014, 09:56:07 PM »

Ride the High Country 4/5

Very enjoyable and that shootout at the end where they walk towards each other caught me off guard. I have never seen that before.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13578 on: May 25, 2014, 11:04:00 AM »

The Liquidator (1965) - 3/10. Rod Taylor is a "double O" type--licensed to kill and all that--who's squeamish (yes, this is supposed to be a comedy). He can't quit, though, because his status gives him the car, the pad, and the birds he can no longer live without. What to do? Sub-contract! He finds a mob enforcer to do his hits for him--man, he must be making some salary. This great premise, which takes forever to get established, is rife with possibilities, and then the filmmakers throw them all away. There's an obvious moment when things go wrong: Taylor's boss (Trevor Howard) delivers an assignment, and it's nothing; what it should have been is an order to kill the one person he absolutely doesn't want to. That would have created a delicious situation where he can't use his regular guy, can't do the job himself, and can't explain to his highers what's going on. Then maybe the mob guy could be turned against him. So many good things (from a narrative viewpoint) could have happened. Instead, everybody goes to Nice and meets Akim Tamiroff. Talk about wasting an opportunity! After that, nothing can save the picture, not Jill St. John, not a cameo by Suzy Kendall, not even Shirley Bassey belting out the theme song one more time.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #13579 on: May 26, 2014, 08:52:55 AM »

Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion (1970) First time viewing,  Gian Maria Volonte kills his mistress in her apartment, while having sex, he leaves prints and clues that would lead to him being the murderer, interesting film, Volonte is great, though should have had even more of Florinda Bolkan, the ending is sort of what I was expecting given the political overtones, I don't care for political or message movies, still a 9/10 on Netflix.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #13580 on: May 26, 2014, 01:33:11 PM »

Naked Lunch (1991)
WTF did I just see? I kind of liked it. And kind of not.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13581 on: May 26, 2014, 03:41:23 PM »

Naked Lunch (1991)
Hilarious film.

Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #13582 on: May 26, 2014, 11:44:14 PM »

Naked Lunch (1991)

Read the book. It probably won't make much more sense but it'll probably make you say WTF while reading.

Godzilla (2014) 5/5

Fantastic. I love what I saw and the presentation of how Godzilla sounded and look was GREAT. People seem to have a problem that the monsters fighting was lacking but to be honest, I rather liked the way they held it back until the end.

Revenge (1990) 4/5

In no way is it Tony Scott's best but its enjoyable. I have the 2007 edit Scott did. I might give the 1990 version a watch sometime soon.

Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #13583 on: May 27, 2014, 07:57:43 PM »

Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid (1973) 4/5

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #13584 on: May 28, 2014, 04:54:36 PM »

84 Charing Cross Road (1987) 9/10
This is a wonderful, wonderful movie. Almost perfect, amazingly edited, Anne Bancroft delivers an incredible performance.
Just two problems: Firstly, I didn't like the scene where she and Anthony Hopkins break the 4th wall and have a conversation talking to the camera, I found that annoying.
And most importantly, SPOILER ALERT, I thought the framing device was dumb. She goes to the store, says FRANK, I MADE IT, or whatever, and that's it? It ends so abruptly. Almost feels as if they had this great story and didn't know how to end it, so they quickly threw together this dumb framing device. I'd have preferred they either got rid of the framing device altogether (just show the movie in sequence, no need for her to visit England at all) or else keep the visit, but somehow make it better. I just didn't like how she comes there, says I made it and then THE END.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 07:32:26 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #13585 on: May 28, 2014, 05:49:57 PM »

84 CHARING CROSS ROAD
This is a wonderful, wonderful movie. Almost perfect, amazingly edited, Anne Bancroft delivers an incredible performance.
Just two problems: Firstly, I didn't like the scene where she and Anthony Hopkins break the 4th wall and have a conversation, I found that annoying.
And most importantly, SPOILER ALERT, I thought the framing device was dumb. She goes to the store, says FRANK, I MADE IT, or whatever, and that's it? It ends so abruptly. Almost feels as if they had this great story and didn't know how to end it, so they quickly threw together this dumb framing device. I'd have preferred they either got rid of the framing device altogether (just show the movie in sequence, no need for her to visit England at all) or else keep the visit, but somehow make it better. I just didn't like how she comes there, says I made it and then THE END.

I couldn't get into it, I saw in on TCM just recently too.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #13586 on: May 29, 2014, 04:06:45 AM »

Dark Waters (1944) Leslie, (Merle Oberon), the sole survivor of a U-boat sinking, goes to her Aunt & Uncle in the bayou country in order to recover emotionally from the trauma. Unfortunately, there she encounters various scam artists led by a Mr. Sydney (Thomas Mitchell) who intend to kill her and steal the family assets. Dr. George Grover (Franchot Tone) helps Leslie to defeat Sydney. With Elisa Cook Jr., cheapie back lot noir directed by André De Toth on Youtube 6.5/10

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13587 on: May 29, 2014, 06:14:38 AM »

A Master Builder (2014) - 10/10. Wallace Shawn and Andre Gregory adapt Ibsen. Shawn, who re-imagined the play in 21st Century English, also found a "dream theory" to exploit (everything involving the Hilde character--the last 2/3rds of the drama--becomes part of a death-bed vision). Hence "A" Master Builder, rather than "The." Jonathan Demme, who directed, decided the best way to translate drama to cinema was to shoot 2:35:1 and pile on the close-ups.  The succession of scenes is like a series of tiny movies: My Dinner with Halvard, My Dinner with Mrs. Solness, My Dinner with Dr.Herdal. It all works because all the performances are so good, especially Lisa Joyce as Hilde. It's all talking and no doing, but the conversations are riveting.

I saw this last night up in Pleasantville at The Jacob Burns. Afterwards there was a Q&A with Shawn and Demme, but my bladder was killing me and I couldn't stay. The two seemed like a couple of nice fellas, though.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13588 on: May 31, 2014, 09:16:34 PM »

X-Men: Days of Future Past - 7.5/10
Godzilla - 5/10

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #13589 on: June 02, 2014, 04:44:08 PM »

Western Pacific Agent (1950) Mickey Knox is a bindelstiff gone bad, he murders & steals a payroll, hops a freight and leaves bodies in his path, one catch the money's serial numbers are known so the agent is on his trail, Knox is good, Sid Melton provides some pathetic humor, low budget "C" crime film from Lippert Pictures 6/10 forgotten noir on netflix.

From IMDB

Good B Programmer

Author: gordonl56 from Canada
7 August 2013
*** This review may contain spoilers ***

WESTERN PACIFIC AGENT – 1950

A low budget quickie from B-film stalwart, Lippert Pictures. Kent Taylor is the headliner.

Mickey Knox hits the small town of Chester, California. He wants to put the bite on his father, general store owner, Morris Carnovsky, for a loan. Carnovsky has gone through this before with his no good excuse of a son. He tells Knox to get himself a job and earn his own cash. Knox is not so inclined and prepares to go back on the road. He overhears several men talking to his father about paying off their accounts. The big monthly cash payroll is arriving that afternoon. They are just waiting for the railway agent, Robert Lowery, to show.

Light-bulbs go off as Knox sees a solution to his cash flow problems. Knox hotfoots it to the only bridge into town. It is one that is raised for river barge traffic to pass underneath. Knox bursts in on the bridge operator and gives the man the sharp end of his knife. He then raises the bridge and waits. Sure enough the railroad payroll agent, Lowery shows. He sees no river traffic so he enters the bridge office. Knox steps up behind Lowery and gives him several solid cracks with a steel pipe. The blows are hard enough to kill Lowery. Knox grabs the cash bag and transfers same to his sleeping bag. Then out the door and into the woods Knox speeds. Knox intends to grab a freight train for the big city.

Needless to say this idea hits a few snags. Railway detective, Kent Taylor just happens to be in the area on other railroad business. He quickly has all the serial numbers of the stolen bills. These he forwards to all the local banks etc. The first bill that Knox passes is soon brought to Taylor and the local Sheriff, Dick Elliot's attention. A description of the killer is soon posted. Knox is hiding out at the local hobo camp as he waits for a freight train. A cash reward being offered by Taylor for info soon has results. Knox has to beat the feet in order to stay ahead of Taylor and the boys. He does another killing just for a change of clothes. He also picks up a .38 pistol along the way.

Knox's father, Carnovsky, knows from the description that the man Taylor is looking for his son. He tells Taylor about his belief that Knox might be the killer. Knox is soon run to ground at a small shack just outside town. Taylor has Carnovsky try and talk Knox into surrendering. Knox is not having any of this idea and blasts Carnovsky, wounding him.

Knox manages to escape the Police cordon and flees back to the bridge out of town. The same bridge that is, where Knox committed the first murders and robbery. Taylor and Sheriff, Dick Elliot, soon catch up and guns are drawn. Knox still refuses to come quietly and lead flies. A thoroughly ventilated Knox falls from the bridge into the river below. The cash is recovered.

This 65 minute quickie was directed by veteran b-film helmsman, Sam Newfield. Newfield pumped out over 270 titles during his career. Most were simple shot in two weeks type fare, but he did manage to turn out a few little gems. These include, MONEY MADNESS, THE COUNTERFIETERS, APOLOGY FOR MURDER, THE LADY CONFESSES, MURDER IS MY BUSINESS and HI-JACKED.

Minor leading man Taylor scored in a couple of nicely done minor noir, TANGIER and FEDERAL AGENT AT LARGE.

Also in the cast is Sid Melton for a touch of comic relief. Shelia Ryan plays the sister of the slain Robert Lowery. She also serves as the love interest for Taylor. A very watchable example of a 1950's B-film programmer.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 04:48:52 PM by cigar joe » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 904 905 [906] 907 908 ... 1170 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM