Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2017, 03:15:50 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 905 906 [907] 908 909 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1762470 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #13590 on: June 02, 2014, 04:44:08 PM »

Western Pacific Agent (1950) Mickey Knox is a bindelstiff gone bad, he murders & steals a payroll, hops a freight and leaves bodies in his path, one catch the money's serial numbers are known so the agent is on his trail, Knox is good, Sid Melton provides some pathetic humor, low budget "C" crime film from Lippert Pictures 6/10 forgotten noir on netflix.

From IMDB

Good B Programmer

Author: gordonl56 from Canada
7 August 2013
*** This review may contain spoilers ***

WESTERN PACIFIC AGENT – 1950

A low budget quickie from B-film stalwart, Lippert Pictures. Kent Taylor is the headliner.

Mickey Knox hits the small town of Chester, California. He wants to put the bite on his father, general store owner, Morris Carnovsky, for a loan. Carnovsky has gone through this before with his no good excuse of a son. He tells Knox to get himself a job and earn his own cash. Knox is not so inclined and prepares to go back on the road. He overhears several men talking to his father about paying off their accounts. The big monthly cash payroll is arriving that afternoon. They are just waiting for the railway agent, Robert Lowery, to show.

Light-bulbs go off as Knox sees a solution to his cash flow problems. Knox hotfoots it to the only bridge into town. It is one that is raised for river barge traffic to pass underneath. Knox bursts in on the bridge operator and gives the man the sharp end of his knife. He then raises the bridge and waits. Sure enough the railroad payroll agent, Lowery shows. He sees no river traffic so he enters the bridge office. Knox steps up behind Lowery and gives him several solid cracks with a steel pipe. The blows are hard enough to kill Lowery. Knox grabs the cash bag and transfers same to his sleeping bag. Then out the door and into the woods Knox speeds. Knox intends to grab a freight train for the big city.

Needless to say this idea hits a few snags. Railway detective, Kent Taylor just happens to be in the area on other railroad business. He quickly has all the serial numbers of the stolen bills. These he forwards to all the local banks etc. The first bill that Knox passes is soon brought to Taylor and the local Sheriff, Dick Elliot's attention. A description of the killer is soon posted. Knox is hiding out at the local hobo camp as he waits for a freight train. A cash reward being offered by Taylor for info soon has results. Knox has to beat the feet in order to stay ahead of Taylor and the boys. He does another killing just for a change of clothes. He also picks up a .38 pistol along the way.

Knox's father, Carnovsky, knows from the description that the man Taylor is looking for his son. He tells Taylor about his belief that Knox might be the killer. Knox is soon run to ground at a small shack just outside town. Taylor has Carnovsky try and talk Knox into surrendering. Knox is not having any of this idea and blasts Carnovsky, wounding him.

Knox manages to escape the Police cordon and flees back to the bridge out of town. The same bridge that is, where Knox committed the first murders and robbery. Taylor and Sheriff, Dick Elliot, soon catch up and guns are drawn. Knox still refuses to come quietly and lead flies. A thoroughly ventilated Knox falls from the bridge into the river below. The cash is recovered.

This 65 minute quickie was directed by veteran b-film helmsman, Sam Newfield. Newfield pumped out over 270 titles during his career. Most were simple shot in two weeks type fare, but he did manage to turn out a few little gems. These include, MONEY MADNESS, THE COUNTERFIETERS, APOLOGY FOR MURDER, THE LADY CONFESSES, MURDER IS MY BUSINESS and HI-JACKED.

Minor leading man Taylor scored in a couple of nicely done minor noir, TANGIER and FEDERAL AGENT AT LARGE.

Also in the cast is Sid Melton for a touch of comic relief. Shelia Ryan plays the sister of the slain Robert Lowery. She also serves as the love interest for Taylor. A very watchable example of a 1950's B-film programmer.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 04:48:52 PM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #13591 on: June 04, 2014, 05:49:38 AM »

The Dark Mirror (1946) (on Youtube) Director: Robert Siodmak, Olivia de Havilland, Lew Ayres, Thomas Mitchell, ok film with de Havilland playing identical twins, one good, one capable of murder, Lew Ayres is the doc who figures it out, Siodmak/Noir lite. 7/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #13592 on: June 05, 2014, 06:41:26 AM »

Cousin Jules (1973) - Made by Dominique Benicheti, the film shows the everyday life of Benicheti's cousin Jules Guiteaux, a blacksmith, and his wife Félicie as they work on their farm in the French countryside. Much of that work appears to have been performed the same way for at least a hundred years. It took Benicheti five years to shoot his film and there is no plot. Structured as a day-in-the-life account, I was scratching my head when, in the latter part of the film, the woman no longer seemed to be around. Did she go to bed early? In the end credits I found the answer: she died in 1971. Shot in Techniscope on Eastman Kodak and restored in 2011, the film is a masterpiece of lighting (every shot is immaculately lit and you cannot tell where the light is coming from). Pastels abound--at times it seems you're watching impressionist paintings. The Blu-ray is similarly magnificent (no "enhancements"). In a documentary that accompanies the disc, Benicheti is shown working on the restoration. He seemed a happy man (although he didn't live to finish his work). Film: 10/10. Blu-ray: 10/10.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13593 on: June 05, 2014, 08:14:31 PM »

The Grand Budapest Hotel - 5.5/10
Gettin real fed up with Wes Andersons style.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13594 on: June 06, 2014, 05:29:48 AM »

The Grand Budapest Hotel - 5.5/10
Gettin real fed up with Wes Andersons style.
Yeah, cause that's all he has to offer.

Edge of Tomorrow (2014) - 4/10. Groundhog Day meets your favorite console game. This is one of the ugliest-looking movies I've ever seen--I very much hope I never have to watch it again.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13595 on: June 09, 2014, 03:02:24 AM »

The Old Gun aka Vengeance One by One - 9/10

10th viewing or so, first viewing on a home cinema screen.
The ultimate non western revenge film. Is it well-known outside of France?
I have visited Oradour Sur Glanes a couple times, which of course give the movie a little more strength (the actual massacre was worst than the one depicted in the movie, by the way).

Special DJ note: the music is aging and becoming cheesier and cheesier with the years BUT holds its evocative and nostalgic power amazingly well. We should go back to real musical themes for movies. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y67P-OctHPc

Special Titoli note: Romy is gorgeous in this one.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 03:12:33 AM by noodles_leone » Logged

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #13596 on: June 09, 2014, 03:35:54 AM »

just saw Ossessione for the first time; the Image Entertainment DVD is real bad (I rented it from Netflix), this movie needs a proper restoration and DVD release.
Anyway (setting aside the issues with the DVD) considering that we Americans have The Postman Always Rings Twice, I don't think I'll be watching this again  Wink

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #13597 on: June 09, 2014, 09:07:15 AM »

The Old Gun aka Vengeance One by One - 9/10

The ultimate non western revenge film. Is it well-known outside of France?
Never heard of it.

The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014) - 7.5/10
This is the first Wes Anderson movie I ever saw, so I don't have the problem with his never-changing style that many people seem to have. It's a fun movie and refreshing in its style (in my eyes) but undeniably disposable entertainment. A bit too long, also. Children's movies shouldn't run over 90 minutes.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13598 on: June 09, 2014, 09:11:07 AM »

It may be the best "first" Wes Anderson movie to watch. My personal favorite is The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou, by far.

You should watch the Old Gun you'll love it.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13599 on: June 09, 2014, 11:57:16 AM »

Zulu - Jerome Salle  9/10

Very good thriller in tough Ellroy style. Very stylish, very well acted, no useless car chases, no idiotic plot twists or surprises. Salle can even make small scenes and secondary characters shine. And South Africa is more than a background.

Forest Whitaker and Orlando Bloom (yes, he too) are excellent in the leads

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13600 on: June 09, 2014, 12:03:53 PM »

Never heard of it.

The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014) - 7.5/10
Children's movies shouldn't run over 90 minutes.
Amen.

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #13601 on: June 10, 2014, 03:11:39 AM »

Far from Heaven (2002) - 4/10
This film was nominated for four Oscars? Where are the Razzies? The screenplay is far from great but it could have been saved by good directing. Well, it wasn't. Bad acting, no rhythm, stupid coverage. Everything just floats by without making any impression. I hope they chose the style for its estrangement effect (which it has, but that doesn't make the film any better) because otherwise the makers are just a bunch of talentless idiots. Points for some nice shots, couple of (unintentional) laughs and the fact that they actually could make me watch this all the way through (come to think of it, I can't understand how they did that).

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #13602 on: June 10, 2014, 03:51:59 AM »

Far from Heaven (2002) - 4/10
This film was nominated for four Oscars? Where are the Razzies? The screenplay is far from great but it could have been saved by good directing. Well, it wasn't. Bad acting, no rhythm, stupid coverage. Everything just floats by without making any impression. I hope they chose the style for its estrangement effect (which it has, but that doesn't make the film any better) because otherwise the makers are just a bunch of talentless idiots. Points for some nice shots, couple of (unintentional) laughs and the fact that they actually could make me watch this all the way through (come to think of it, I can't understand how they did that).

Never heard of it, had to look it up, barely remember now, actually didn't now it was nominated for four Oscars.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13603 on: June 10, 2014, 06:26:10 AM »

The Mechanic (1972) - 9/10. Bronson is da man, and Jan-Michael Vincent turns in an Oscar-worthy impression of Groggy, years before Groggy was born. A very lean film--every one of its 100 minutes counts. And then, in the middle of this Michael Winner film, suddenly they go to Naples! A Winner film with a budget? Yes, and maybe once there were unicorns, also.

What about gay subtext? Julie Kirgo has this covered in her booklet accompanying the new (fabulous looking) TT Blu-ray.
“Originally assigned to maverick director Monte Hellman . . .the film was developed by Hellman and screenwriter (and later director) Lewis John Carlino (I Never Promised You a Rose Garden, The Great Santini), from Carlino’s then-unpublished novel. In the original story, the relationship between Bishop and Steve was explicitly gay: a commentary, in Carlino’s words, “on the use of human relationships and sexual manipulation in the lives of two hired killers.” Steve “sees that he can use his sexuality to find the Achilles Heel” of his teacher/lover; “There was a fascinating edge to it, though,” Carlino would explain, “because toward the end the younger man began to fall in love, and this fought with his desire to beat the master and take his place as number one.” Unfortunately, big stars turned down the role of a gay Bishop in droves; financing proved impossible to come by; eventually Hellman was replaced with Winner; and Carlino bowed to the pressure and rewrote the screenplay, removing all but the subtlest of gay subtext. It was, he would admit, “one of the great disappointments of my life.”
So bishop never got to blow Steve, but he sure got to blow him up, heh heh.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13604 on: June 10, 2014, 02:33:09 PM »

9/10 for a Michael Winner film? Impossible (pronounced French, which makes it more notable and sounds better) !

... no Winner film is a real winner.

Pages: 1 ... 905 906 [907] 908 909 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM