Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2017, 01:40:52 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 907 908 [909] 910 911 ... 1161 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1760468 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #13620 on: June 20, 2014, 11:55:54 AM »

Voyage to Italy (1954) - 7/10
I don't really buy the "miracle" in the end.
Me neither.

That's what you get, Drink, for lying in the middle of the road.
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13621 on: June 20, 2014, 04:15:43 PM »

The Immigrant - 8/10
Much better than what the reviews suggest, though relatively forgettable looking back. Decent performances, well-written characters, and pretty solid cinematography (a bit too strong on the browns and oranges for that period piece detail but eh whatever). I like it.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #13622 on: June 21, 2014, 11:31:08 PM »

Lady In Cement (1968) 6/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13623 on: June 23, 2014, 04:14:32 PM »

Horící ker / Burning Bush (2013) - 6/10. Jan Palach's self-immolation (first 2 minutes) and its aftermath (the next 230). Beautifully shot, this 3-part series for HBO Europe is too TV, too docu-drama, and much too long (after lighting himself on fire, Palach takes almost the full first episode to die). They essentially shoehorned about 90 minutes of plot into the 4-hour runtime. A shame, really. A straight documentary probably would have been better.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #13624 on: June 23, 2014, 09:01:23 PM »

Lady in the Lake (1947) watched this again today. Its fun watching the actors do what what they almost never did, i.e., look at the camera.

from my previous review

Unusual innovative Noir part serious partly send up, I chuckled at some of the conversations between Totter & Montgomery and the allusion to author's of hard boiled detective fiction. With the POV camera portrayal gimmick of Marlowe by Montgomery the brunt of the film falls on Audrey Totter's shoulders and she is both fascinating and stellar in the various long takes.  Some great sequences to watch for, the casing of Lavery's house with the intro of Jane Meadows, and the reveal of the body (nuff said), the auto accident sequence and the confrontation between Nolan and Meadows. Has a Christmas theme vocal chorus that warps ominous for what little soundtrack there is.

Once you get the hang of the POV its very entertaining. This is a film you could "almost" show to kids that are enamoured with first person shooter games, they'd probably "get it" lol.  10/10

Also check out the witty dialog between Totter and Montgomery great stuff.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13625 on: June 24, 2014, 06:35:29 PM »

22 Jump Street - 8.5/10
Excellent comedy, excellent sequel.

Neighbors - 7/10
Pretty good comedy. Nothing groundbreaking.

Louie: Season 4 - 9/10
Season 1 was a hilarious comedic show; Season 2 a pretty solid blend of comedy and drama. Season 3 fell short, where the show as typically more of a drama (not a very interesting one), weighed down by a poor Lynch-ripoff with "try to be funny by being weird" that just didn't work. Season 4, primarily a drama, is absolutely excellent. Louis CK is developing into a true modern day Woody Allen (interestingly, Susan Morse edited most of Season 3 - and Louis CK appeared in Blue Jasmine), and clearly improving as both a writer and especially director. There's only maybe 1 or 2 comedic attempts every few episodes - but every attempt is gold. Fucking hilarious, laugh-out-loud moments ... but used sparingly. The hour long episode In the Woods is brilliant television, making a usually cliche, coming-of-age concept of "teenage weed discovery" feel original, unique, and honest, without feeling like a lame 'drug awareness special'.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13626 on: June 25, 2014, 09:37:53 AM »

The Rover (2014) - 9/10. "Australia. Ten years after the collapse." That's the setting we're given--apparently the "collapse" was socio-economic, as there doesn't seem to be any environmental problems. The electrical grid is still operating, and people can get petrol for their cars. What's missing is law and order, although small army units are operating (but for what purpose we're never told). From this background emerges Guy Pearce, a burn-out case if there ever was one. He looks like he's about ready to die, but then 3 badmen, fleeing some kind of botched robbery, steal his car, and that's the one thing he can't let go. So the chase begins.

This could easily be a Western, with cars used in place of horses. In fact, the very first scene, watching flies crawling on Pearce's face, made me think of Leone. Maybe because of this I began to notice any number of parallel's with GBU: there's a gun-buying scene reminiscent of the one between Tuco and the gun dealer (which in turn echoes the one in Public Enemy); Pearce gets captured by soldiers at one point, and this leads to something that could be considered a new Betterville sequence; there's a bit where Pearce takes Robert Pattinson to an out-of-the-way place so he can get medical attention and convalesce. Pearce needs to keep Pattinson alive, because Pattinson is the brother of one of the men who took his car, and he knows where the trio were headed. Pearce has gotten the name of the town, but Pattinson has retained the address of the exact house . . . There's a scene where the pair, driving along, pass bodies strung out alongside the road. Then there's a big gundown at the end, but that could be considered generic. There is also a bit of final grave digging, though.

Pattinson is very good, playing a half-wit with speech problems. Pearce is his usual fantastic self, the new Eastwood. The film's photography of Southern Australia is something to be savored (bring on the Blu-ray!). The music and sound design had me paying attention.  A fantastic film.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13627 on: June 25, 2014, 05:56:33 PM »

Fargo: Season 1 - 8.5/10
Real good!

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13628 on: June 26, 2014, 12:10:42 AM »

Surprisingly good. I also liked the way they linked it to many Coen brothers movies.

No idea if someone watched it though, so a new season would be a real surprise.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #13629 on: June 26, 2014, 12:55:46 AM »

I noticed I've made it into two members' signatures – one past, one present. I figure that makes me more infamous than famous, but that's better than any of you other sonsabitches can say  Tongue

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13630 on: June 27, 2014, 06:14:17 AM »

Fill the Void (2012) High 7/10
Jane Austen meets Hasidic Tel Aviv (it may be overstated, but it's true). Easily misinterpreted as anti-feminist, but open enough to call that into question. All that Jewy stuff is pretty interesting, kept me going. Admittedly, didn't see the first 10 minutes but it didn't seem to matter, got the jist. Really liked the ending. Fuck me, right? Pretty good.
Blu-ray.com finally get around to reviewing the UK Blu: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Fill-the-Void-Blu-ray/88562/#Review
Originally, I found the photography a little annoying, but I've changed my mind. A beautiful-looking film.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13631 on: July 02, 2014, 07:14:58 AM »

A Hard Day's Night (1964) - 7/10. Beautiful images, and a lot of humor that holds up to this day. Shame about the (pre-Rubber Soul) music. The new CC Blu is immaculate.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13632 on: July 03, 2014, 02:03:29 AM »

American Hustle 7/10

Better than I thought. Really interesting and well written. Most of the time, it does not work half as good as the director expected, but still. Marty and Fincher are just the best at some kinds of scenes. Bale and Cooper are good actors but I continue to believe they have no ability whatsoever to create emotion for the viewer. They're good but cold actors. The female cast is perfect.

Jeune & Jolie 3/10

François Ozon's shot at students prostitutions. He created an outrage in Cannes last year by asserting that prostitution is every woman's fantasy, and I thought it was a stupid provocative sentence just for getting attention for his movies. Well, having seen the movie, it's clearly what he believes.
Anyway.  Pretty good camerawork and photography most of the time. That's an achievement in nowadays French cinema so there is that. The little brother is a cool and fun character. Some actors play ok. Apart from that it's just a retarded and empty glamorization of prostitution that is so predictive you can tell the lines before the actors. Not kidding, we were 3 watching this and got an average score of 75% in prediction. I sometimes wonder why I spend months on my scripts when people who can easily get money and public and critic back up for their feature films just take a dump and then write "a screenplay by ME" on it. Especially coming from Ozon, who's talented and smart.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 06:32:18 AM by noodles_leone » Logged

www.ThibautOskian.com
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #13633 on: July 03, 2014, 03:44:27 AM »

American Hustle 7/10

Better than I thought. Really interesting and well written. Most of the time, it does not work half as good as the director expected, but still. Marty and Fincher are just the best at some kinds of scenes. Bale and Cooper are good actors but I continue to believe they have no ability whatsoever to create emotion for the viewer. They're good but cold actors. Ten female cast is perfect.

I did not like Jennifer Lawrence or Amy Adams here. It's the first time I've seen Lawrence in a movie. I like Adams very much in other movies, I just didn't like her here.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13634 on: July 03, 2014, 06:37:10 AM »

Really? Adams takes over most scenes she's in and makes a not particularly well written character quite fascinating (although that's a string word) and believable. Lawrence's character is more of a caricature so she doesn't play subtly but still creates something powerful. More importantly, when her character gains a little deepness and craziness (in her latest scenes) she pulls out something very few people on earth can do (especially not Bale or Cooper). That was some really good stuff... and this girl is only 23.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 06:38:49 AM by noodles_leone » Logged

www.ThibautOskian.com
Pages: 1 ... 907 908 [909] 910 911 ... 1161 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM