Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2017, 03:27:00 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 908 909 [910] 911 912 ... 1161 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1760593 times)
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13635 on: July 03, 2014, 09:20:39 PM »

Adams is fine. Lawrence's character is basically a special effect they use to liven things up every time the story flags.

Saturday nights with Groggy
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13636 on: July 04, 2014, 12:59:30 AM »

Adams is fine. Lawrence's character is basically a special effect they use to liven things up every time the story flags.

Haha fair point

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #13637 on: July 04, 2014, 06:58:30 AM »

Grin Grin Groggy's still alive! And kicking!

That's what you get, Drink, for lying in the middle of the road.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #13638 on: July 04, 2014, 10:26:06 AM »

Finally saw THE MISSION.
Decent movie, beautiful images, another great score by Morricone.
I also listened to the first 38 minutes of the director's commentary, it's a very good one. He says they used a real Indian tribe in Colombia - though not the same tribe depicted in the movie, which the title note says takes place near the border of Brazil, Paragay, and Argentina - whose members generally wear less clothing than in the movie; and when he went to meet them for the first time, he was the first white person they had ever seen.
One thing I didn't like is how the movie - while rightfully showing how the brutality of the Europeans - basically glosses over the Indians' savagery of killing their own children; Father Gabriel just says, well, they can only carry one kid while fleeing the white man, as if the Europeans are to blame for this brutal tradition that I am sure the Indians were practicing long before the white man ever set foot in the Americas. Sadly, the Chinese government still practices it today.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13639 on: July 04, 2014, 11:21:57 AM »

Twin Peaks: Complete Series - 6/10
I just graduated college (ie. 4 years of vacation and partying with easy enough work in between), and in one of my last classes I wrote 50 pages about the first season alone. Fuck that. I could have done anything else with my time. Wasn't even for my major. Anyways, the whole series was kind of decent, I guess. The first season was good to grade, extremely unique mystery that still hasn't been matched today. Second season started off good, until the murder was solved - then it was uninteresting, 'try-to-be-weird' soap opera bullshit for over 10 episodes until a finale that was as good as the start of the show, but not worth the endless dull hours to get there. I feel like these thoughts match more or less everyone's thoughts on the show. Worth checking out if everything after Season 2 episode 9 is skipped until the finale, which doesn't make much sense in context of the show anyways but cool enough to watch for Lynch's super-cool-weird-hip-nightmarish direction.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13640 on: July 04, 2014, 01:50:08 PM »

I feel like these thoughts match more or less everyone's thoughts on the show.

Surely not. I know many who think that Twin Peaks is a complete masterpiece. From start to finish. I love it.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13641 on: July 04, 2014, 02:23:21 PM »

speaking of TV shows, anyone here watch Forensic Files? Currently, CNN is showing it from 2AM-5AM EST Monday thru Friday; and 2AM-6AM Sunday. I have been an insane fan of that show for years it is the only thing I ever watch on tv besides sports and movies my dvr is working overtime.
And Peter Thomas, the narrator has one of the greatest voices God ever created turned 90 last week! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Thomas_%28announcer%29

p.s. I was recently watching an episode about a murder in Florida; the prosecutor appeared on the show ... I recognized him but couldn't remember where I'd seen him.... till I finally realized, it was the same prosecutor as the one in the Trayvon Martin case; that guy was on tv for months http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernie_de_la_Rionda

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13642 on: July 04, 2014, 03:38:03 PM »

Surely not. I know many who think that Twin Peaks is a complete masterpiece. From start to finish. I love it.

At least PowerRR's view partially matches Lynch's opinion: David Lynch often said he thought it was a mistake to elucidate the murder in the middle of season 2. The story goes all over the place after that and viewers don't know what to look for.
To me, the abduction plot doesn't make a lot of sense, as well as Cooper without his FBI clothes. Also, the ending of the last episode looks like a cheesy mid season finale rather than the ending of the greatest TV show ever (at the time). Anyway, it's still a 9/10. I understood it was a masterpiece the moment I saw the dancing midget.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 03:39:31 PM by noodles_leone » Logged

www.ThibautOskian.com
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13643 on: July 05, 2014, 02:21:02 AM »

I understood it was a masterpiece the moment I saw the dancing midget.

Ha ha, same for me. Strangely I did not like the pilot (now I say it's indeed a great, great start), did not know what to do with the series. But then, suddenly, with this bizarre dream at the end of episode 3 (by counting the pilot as episode 1), it made click in my head, and from that point on it was fantastic.
For me the early solution of the murder question was perfectly timed. After that it could have been a bit shorter, a bit more condensed. Maybe 2 or 3 episodes less. There are now a few sub-plots which are not that necessary, which went away too far from the main mystery. But it was mostly still great, and the ending was fantastic. Most likely only a cliffhanger for an intended 3rd season, but as it is, it is a brilliant pessimistic ending. Episode 17 could have become a fine ending too, but at that point too many knots were not untied.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #13644 on: July 05, 2014, 05:56:45 AM »

Ha ha, same for me. Strangely I did not like the pilot (now I say it's indeed a great, great start), did not know what to do with the series. But then, suddenly, with this bizarre dream at the end of episode 3 (by counting the pilot as episode 1), it made click in my head, and from that point on it was fantastic.
For me the early solution of the murder question was perfectly timed. After that it could have been a bit shorter, a bit more condensed. Maybe 2 or 3 episodes less. There are now a few sub-plots which are not that necessary, which went away too far from the main mystery. But it was mostly still great, and the ending was fantastic. Most likely only a cliffhanger for an intended 3rd season, but as it is, it is a brilliant pessimistic ending. Episode 17 could have become a fine ending too, but at that point too many knots were not untied.

Speaking of TP, I really like Twin Peaks -  Fire Walk With Me

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13645 on: July 05, 2014, 08:54:41 AM »

Yep. Dragging for a few episodes in some weird dead ends is a sin no TV show avoids so that's not a big deal.

Speaking of TP, I really like Twin Peaks -  Fire Walk With Me

I really really didn't like it. Looked like an overlong bad episode of TP to me.

www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13646 on: July 05, 2014, 01:11:37 PM »

They Were Expendable (1945) - 9/10. Man, I like this movie. One of the things that really makes it is its judicious use of rear projection and models. That is, whenever possible, we see the action as it was staged on the Florida location. For example, the early Japanese attack on the PT boat base seems, to my eye anyway, to be made up entirely of practical special effects. Later, when they start sinking large Japanese vessels, those are obviously models, but I like the way those ships are kept at a distance and in the dark (the attacks occur at night). Throughout there is great authenticity regarding the use of PT boats in war, and Ford deserves credit for such verisimilitude. He also deserves blame for the awful song selections, and the embarrassing attempts to burnish MacArthur's heroic stature.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13647 on: July 06, 2014, 08:38:03 AM »

Yeah, I also gave THEY WERE EXPENDABLE a 9/10. The music didn't bother me (thankfully, I don't think this was the Sons of the Pioneers Wink .) What's your problem with the treatment of McCarthur? He was indeed a legend at the time.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13648 on: July 06, 2014, 08:51:59 AM »

What's your problem with the treatment of McCarthur? He was indeed a legend at the time.
Right. We don't need Ford gilding the lily. It comes off as toadyism.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13649 on: July 06, 2014, 10:10:33 AM »

Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me - 5.5/10
Eh I don't know. I like that the tone was different from the show, but it felt like sort of a redundant mess most of the time.

Pages: 1 ... 908 909 [910] 911 912 ... 1161 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM