Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 16, 2017, 06:39:04 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 909 910 [911] 912 913 ... 1161 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1758508 times)
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13650 on: July 06, 2014, 12:19:14 PM »

I'm currently rewatching True Detective. i've had the BRD since my birthday. I had not had the chance to watch the episodes in low compressed full HD previously. Man, this look gorgeous. I'm watching some of the episodes at my parents house on the big screen, it's one of the rare TV shows that's worth watching this way.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #13651 on: July 06, 2014, 12:33:09 PM »

I couldn't get beyond the 3rd episode.

That's what you get, Drink, for lying in the middle of the road.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13652 on: July 06, 2014, 12:40:32 PM »

Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me - 5.5/10
Eh I don't know. I like that the tone was different from the show, but it felt like sort of a redundant mess most of the time.

Fire Walk with Me was hectic, while the series was very relaxed. Only the beginning breathes the usual TP atmosphere, after that it makes often a cut impression. I always hoped for some kind of a 10 hours DC.

But maybe the different atmosphere is there on purpose.

At least it gets better with every viewing. Meanwhile the fire burns in the 8/10 region.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13653 on: July 06, 2014, 12:40:40 PM »

You should watch episode 4. I wasn't sure what to think of the show before episode 4. In retrospect, 1 2 3 are great too, even-tough they have obvious weaknesses.
Episode 4 is amazing, and it ends with the already famous 7 minutes action scene in a single shot, that is the best shot made for tv ever.

EDIT: just rewatched episode 4 on big screen, it's still my favorite.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 03:25:19 PM by noodles_leone » Logged

www.ThibautOskian.com
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #13654 on: July 06, 2014, 02:26:47 PM »

Just saw Apocalypse Now for the first time. Good movie until Kurtz appears, when it totally falls apart for me. (But even without those Kurtz scenes), this movie isn't anywhere near my "greatest of all-time" list.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13655 on: July 06, 2014, 03:26:36 PM »

Man, ride of the Valkyries. This alone gives the movie a top 10 ranking. They could have eneded the movie with Indiana Jones' wedding or Gladiator's final speech, it would STILL be in the top 10 for this scene alone.

www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #13656 on: July 06, 2014, 04:35:41 PM »

Man, ride of the Valkyries.
A cliché now.

The only way to enjoy the film is to start it, allow it to play through the intro with the music, then skip ahead to the final chapter. That makes it a video for The Door's "The End"--and quite an impressive video it is, provided you have the speakers to do the music justice.

That's what you get, Drink, for lying in the middle of the road.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13657 on: July 06, 2014, 04:53:15 PM »

I also thought Duvall would have been better off simply saying, "I love the smell of napalm in the morning," and that's all; instead, he gives this whole speech about napalm, then says the famous line (which of course I already knew was coming, had seen it on YouTube, and was waiting for it) and then he continues on with more yapping about napalm. It woulda been best if he had just said that one line – maybe followed by that line in which he says, sadly, that one day, this is all gonna end. But that's all.

(of course, when that napalm line was written, perhaps it wasn't anticipated to be a bigpunchline or one of the all-time movie quotes; it was just part of a longer bit about napalm. But as it turned out, being an all-time famous line, IMO it woulda been better literally as a one-liner.)

Reminds me a little of how, after delivering the great line, "We'll always have Paris," Rick goes on yapping, "What we didn't have, blah blah blah ...." I always scream at the tv, YOU JUST SAID THE GREAT LINE, NOW SHUT UP!
Anyway, I can't even believe I would mention Casablanca in the same post as Apocalypse Now  Sad

« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 08:45:26 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13658 on: July 06, 2014, 05:44:35 PM »

A cliché now.

The song was already a cliché at the time. I doubt the scene will ever be challenged.
I kind of agree about the napalm quote. But like you said, it wasn't supposed to become the big quote of the film. However, the "one day that's all gonna end " line is the most important thing his characters says so it's not "May be" Smiley

« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 05:47:54 PM by noodles_leone » Logged

www.ThibautOskian.com
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13659 on: July 06, 2014, 08:51:23 PM »

The song was already a cliché at the time. I doubt the scene will ever be challenged.
I kind of agree about the napalm quote. But like you said, it wasn't supposed to become the big quote of the film. However, the "one day that's all gonna end " line is the most important thing his characters says so it's not "May be" Smiley

that "one day ..." line is definitely an important line, that he definitely should say. The "maybe" wasn't focusing on whether he should say it at all; I was just saying maybe it should be said there, or maybe it should be said somewhere else. My point was that of that whole monologue, the only two lines that should have been kept in the film were the one famous napalm line and the "one day ..." line  Smiley

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13660 on: July 06, 2014, 10:58:54 PM »

-- Do y'all like the end of APOCALYPSE NOW? Not just the final moments, but everything starting from when Sheen's boat reaches Brando's compound?

-- The lighting shtick in the scenes with Brando/Sheen irritated the hell outta me.

-- I guess the Dennis Hopper character (or someone like him) may be important to explain to Sheen - i.e., to explain to the audience - about Kurtz, to tell us what we need to know; but I wish they could have accomplished that some other way; I didn't enjoy any of Hopper's scenes. Heck, I didn't enjoy the movie at all from the moment they reach Kurtz's compound.

-- And the slaughter of the buffalo, which really happens as you see it, was awful. Killing an animal painlessly for meat is fine - that should be one quick cut that kills instantly and painlessly - but the way they kill it, hacking a little here then a little there, is torture.

-- Even the famous helicopter-attack scene, I can understand that it can be cool to watch the choppers flying with RotV playing, but I didn't find that attack scene all that amazing; not bashing it, it is a good scene, but I don't feel like it's one off the greatest scenes in cinema history like some people do (kinda like how i feel about the movie in general: good, but not among the all-time greats).

-- I really didn't like the weird colors in the fighting scenes. I am sure the sky turns crazy colors during a battle; but THAT crazy? Or is that the LSD perspective? Wink

-- Bottom Line. From the beginning of the film till they reach Kurtz's compound, I'd rate like an 8/10.

-- What do y'all say about APOCALYPSE NOW REDUX? is it worth seeing? Is it significantly different/better than APOCALYPSE NOW?
Btw, I saw APOCALYPSE NOW on Netflix streaming.)

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13661 on: July 07, 2014, 01:35:18 AM »

-- Do y'all like the end of APOCALYPSE NOW? Not just the final moments, but everything starting from when Sheen's boat reaches Brando's compound?

The wildly accepted opinion on these scenes, even among the greatest fans of the movie is that they are ok at best. Many people hate them. Even the Cahiers du Cinema called it a Disney ending at the time (and the movie seems to be done FOR the Cahiers).

-- The lighting shtick in the scenes with Brando/Sheen irritated the hell outta me.

Take it easy.

-- I guess the Dennis Hopper character (or someone like him) may be important to explain to Sheen - i.e., to explain to the audience - about Kurtz, to tell us what we need to know; but I wish they could have accomplished that some other way; I didn't enjoy any of Hopper's scenes. Heck, I didn't enjoy the movie at all from the moment they reach Kurtz's compound.

Could have been done better. Still, if it had been the only flaw of the last part, I'd be happy.

-- And the slaughter of the buffalo, which really happens as you see it, was awful. Killing an animal painlessly for meat is fine - that should be one quick cut that kills instantly and painlessly - but the way they kill it, hacking a little here then a little there, is torture.

Yep, hardcore.

-- Even the famous helicopter-attack scene, I can understand that it can be cool to watch the choppers flying with RotV playing, but I didn't find that attack scene all that amazing; not bashing it, it is a good scene, but I don't feel like it's one off the greatest scenes in cinema history like some people do

You mean it was good, but not Patriot good?

Seriously, it's the best battle scene ever. The first layer is obvious and would be sufficient alone: a cavalry charge,but with helicopters. Damn, even if they had had horses instead of helicopters it would have been the best cavalry charge ever. The day I'll know how to shoot something that epic, I'll have won cinema. And then there are the other layers. It's the only non-Peckninpah battle scene I can think of that openly deals with the "yeah I know it's epic, but I also know I shouldn't enjoy that" up to the point it becomes THE point of the scene). Also, the way those soldiers, especially Duval, think of themselves as cinema heroes instead of real-life heroes. If these topics interest you, I strongly advise you to read the article the Cahiers published about the movie in 79, they talk about it far better than I do. It's called something like "Les Remontées Du Fleuve". I can look for the exact information if anyone cares.

-- I really didn't like the weird colors in the fighting scenes. I am sure the sky turns crazy colors during a battle; but THAT crazy? Or is that the LSD perspective? Wink

I really did  Tongue

-- What do y'all say about APOCALYPSE NOW REDUX? is it worth seeing? Is it significantly different/better than APOCALYPSE NOW?

It's only worth seeing if you already love the movie. It adds a lot of interesting scenes that look like the rest of the movie, although makes the whole thing drag a lot (and as you notice, the movie as is is already on the verge of being boring). The best comparison I can think of would be the classic cut of GBU where someone would add many scenes like the Angele Eye fort scene (and nothing like the grotto scene) all over the place: if you like the movie, it's cool because it adds material, and explains a few plot holes and makes everything a bit more square. But it also makes something that worked as is way longer, probably longer than it should be.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 01:36:20 AM by noodles_leone » Logged

www.ThibautOskian.com
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13662 on: July 07, 2014, 02:36:00 AM »

Apo Now is a masterpiece in both versions, but the perfect version would be a compromise between the 2. There is indeed some stuff in the Redux version which runs too long, but it adds some more layers of style and content. Also Coppola adds some simple humour to the film, which feels wrong for me.

I don't like the part with the stolen surf board.
The meeting with the Playboy-bunnies is important, but would be more intense if cut by the half.
The dreamlike scene with the Frenchies goes on much too long, and continues too much talk, talk, talk with message content. But the beginning and the ending of the scene is fantastic.

Whatever, the Redux version doesn't feel a sec longer, and the whole film, including the whole ending, is an amazing experience. The helicopter attack is sensationally filmed, even if only viewed as an action scene.

Belongs to the 20 or 30 films of the "best film ever" category. I love it. 12/10

« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 07:23:53 AM by stanton » Logged

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13663 on: July 07, 2014, 06:58:26 AM »

+1 for everything but I like the stolen surf even if it weirdly changes the universe of the film (it's not just about humour... it's about the fact that it's implied that Killgore may arm/kill them).

www.ThibautOskian.com
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #13664 on: July 07, 2014, 07:16:57 AM »

Sure. But it's in fact a local ceremony around where they shot the film (Coppola only came up with the scene when he saw the ceremony for the first time). You can argue it doesn't change anything, but the bull was going end up tortured anyway. I don't know how many takes they did, though...

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
Pages: 1 ... 909 910 [911] 912 913 ... 1161 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM