Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 10, 2017, 07:24:52 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 914 915 [916] 917 918 ... 1169 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1830098 times)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #13725 on: July 14, 2014, 11:14:39 PM »

Is there anyway to move this discussion to a separate thread as has been done before?

Is Groggy really asking to have this discussion chopped from the RTLMYS thread? or is this Dust Devil hacking Groggy's account?  Shocked Shocked Shocked

yeah, whatever, I have no problem if it is moved. It is a bit long for the RTLMYS thread, and full of spoiler alerts. so yeah, if one of the moderators wanna chope these posts and make them a new thread, go ahead...

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13726 on: July 14, 2014, 11:24:06 PM »

On my netflix page, I wanted to add the BRD of Fanny and Alexander to my queue. I've never seen the movie before, Netflix says there are two versions: the 1982 version (presumably the theatrical one) and a 1984 TV version, which they claim was Bergman's preferred version.

can anyone suggest which one I should rent? (No, I am not renting both)

Unless someone tells me that i definitely will NOT like the movie, then I won't rent it at all. I think I've only seen 1 1/2 Bergman movies thus far; thought they were well-made artistically, but subject matter not interesting at all. (As DJ said, a bunch of ugly Swedish people kvetching, that was Winter Light  Grin ) is it enjoyable to watch, or just artsy fartsy stuff?

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13727 on: July 14, 2014, 11:32:41 PM »

while we are waiting for a moderator to move these posts on Picnic at Hanging Rock to a new thread, spoiler alerts continue for that movie:

I thought suicide more likely; the movie certainly set up that resolution.

yes, my initial thought was suicide, never thought Mrs. Appleyard killed her.

I will readily, though somewhat ashamedly, admit (in case y'all haven't realized by now) that I often don't catch things in movies and need them explained to me. So my opinion of a movie's implication doesn't mean much.

(Similarly, while I figured there was some sorta implications of childish curiousity "you show me yours and I'll show you mine" stuff, I never figured the movie was about the flaming repressed/sexuality that I have people say it is. so, when it comes to plot points, or implications, I don't count my own understanding for much.)

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13728 on: July 15, 2014, 02:13:41 AM »

I assumed also that it was suicide.

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #13729 on: July 15, 2014, 06:12:39 AM »

On my netflix page, I wanted to add the BRD of Fanny and Alexander to my queue. I've never seen the movie before, Netflix says there are two versions: the 1982 version (presumably the theatrical one) and a 1984 TV version, which they claim was Bergman's preferred version.

can anyone suggest which one I should rent? (No, I am not renting both)

Unless someone tells me that i definitely will NOT like the movie, then I won't rent it at all. I think I've only seen 1 1/2 Bergman movies thus far; thought they were well-made artistically, but subject matter not interesting at all. (As DJ said, a bunch of ugly Swedish people kvetching, that was Winter Light  Grin ) is it enjoyable to watch, or just artsy fartsy stuff?
F&A is his most accessible film for sure. I think I've only seen the long version so that's the only one I can recommend. It's kind of a Christmas story, though.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #13730 on: July 15, 2014, 06:38:49 AM »

while we are waiting for a moderator to move these posts on Picnic at Hanging Rock to a new thread, spoiler alerts continue for that movie:

It's not happening.... from this mod  Cheesy

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #13731 on: July 15, 2014, 12:38:33 PM »

F&A is his most accessible film for sure. I think I've only seen the long version so that's the only one I can recommend. It's kind of a Christmas story, though.
That's only the first episode.

Criterion offers both versions, but the longer TV cut is not as impressive looking as the theatrical cut (transferred at a lower resolution or something, I can't remember exactly). With your short attention span, I'd recommend the theatrical.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13732 on: July 15, 2014, 12:42:47 PM »

You are quibbling over proximate and ultimate causes.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13733 on: July 15, 2014, 06:28:51 PM »

Please tell me more.
Just to be clear: how do you rate the first one?
Just watched it.

Rise of the Planet of the Apes - 6/10

Definitely preferred Dawn. I thought Rise started off interesting, but lost it more and more through each act. Ill give some quick thoughts because I've been staring at a computer all day and need to give my eyes a rest:

- Great performances, great characters
- Avoids cliche "maybe the humans are the baddies!", there are likeable, dislikable (not real words sorry) and grey-area characters between both humans and apes. Lots of involvng conflict
- It fits the "Hollywood film" mold pretty formuaicly-ish, but still tends to be well constructed to be on the "hollywood classic" level, ie. early spielbergian (don't think Super 8 shitpoop -- think Star Trek reboots).

not sure if any of that made sense, im exhausted and didnt really try for real words or completely thought out points.

check it out though

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #13734 on: July 16, 2014, 06:25:54 AM »

Du rififi chez les hommes (1955) jewel heist goes terribly noir, the ending is classic 10/10 re watch of criterion DVD Afro Afro Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #13735 on: July 17, 2014, 05:07:58 AM »

Two more great Crime Films:

The Kill-Off (1989) Wow, a great Jim Thompson based story neo noir, in an impressive effort by newbie director Maggie Greenwald with relatively unknown actors in a sleazeball fest set in a Jersey seaside resort town 9/10 (PS I'll start separate threads for this, Du rififi chez les hommes, and  the next one... )

The Seven-Ups (1973) another Wow, 10/10 forgot how great the car chase was in this one actually rivaling the chase in Bullitt (1968) Set in and around my old hoods, Astoria, Long Island City, Sunnyside, also with Manhattan & Harlem River.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 10:56:05 AM by cigar joe » Logged

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13736 on: July 17, 2014, 01:13:43 PM »

THE WAGES OF FEAR (first viewing; Criterion BRD)
9.5/10

SPOILER ALERT

The ending, with Montand swerving off the cliff, is - no pun intended - overkill. Ridiculous. Contrived. If they wanted to kill him off, they could have found a hundred other, better ways.

Otherwise this is a terrific film, cast is wonderful, I am sure the Europeans particularly enjoyed Vera's armpit hair.

Gabin was first asked to play Jo but refused when he found out his character was gonna die. What a lame-ass. (though maybe it's just as well, cuz nobody would believe Gabin would turn yellow? ;-)

Just weird how almost everyone is speaking French, including the locals, even though it's set in South America. If they wanted to make it all French since it's a French movie made for French audiences, fine, have everyone speak French. But they don't - the Italians sometimes speak Italian, the Germans sometimes speak German, sometimes the locals do speak Spanish. And the Americans speak English. So it's weird how everyone is supposed to be speaking their native language, and sometimes everyone reverts to French. Like when the Italian and German are in the truck together, they sure as hell shouldn't be speaking French!!

Anyway, terrific movie. Can't remember a movie that had me more on the edge of my seat. Terrified. And just when you think it's finally safe to relax ........

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13737 on: July 17, 2014, 04:29:39 PM »

THE WAGES OF FEAR (first viewing; Criterion BRD)
9.5/10

Just weird how almost everyone is speaking French, including the locals, even though it's set in South America. If they wanted to make it all French since it's a French movie made for French audiences, fine, have everyone speak French. But they don't - the Italians sometimes speak Italian, the Germans sometimes speak German, sometimes the locals do speak Spanish. And the Americans speak English. So it's weird how everyone is supposed to be speaking their native language, and sometimes everyone reverts to French. Like when the Italian and German are in the truck together, they sure as hell shouldn't be speaking French!!

You've never heard of French Guiana? There actually ARE places in South America where the local language is French.

I love the film, too. Recently rewatched it after seeing the remake on Blu, and was impressed all over again. Yes, I think everyone agrees about the ending, but the rest of the film is so good it is forgivable (but note the use there of the Blue Danube waltz, obviously an influence on Kubrick). And Vera's armpit hair--what a totally sexy lady!

« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 04:30:50 PM by dave jenkins » Logged

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13738 on: July 17, 2014, 07:36:23 PM »

If it's French Guinea, then why would some of the people be speaking Spanish? Cuz they are from a Spanish speaking country? That still doesn't explain why Bimba and Luigi - German and Italian - are speaking French. No, it seems to me like half the time the movie is intended to have everyone speak their native languages, then the other half of the time the time they say, 'it's a French movie, let's have everyone speak French.'

On the Criterion BRD, be sure to check out the first bonus feature, of the Russian ass't director (forgot his name), that is very good. Also the last piece about the Censorship was interesting - it seems 50 minutes were chopped by the American distributor, to get rid of references to anti-Americanism (ie. The abuses of the oil company juuxtaposed with the squalor of the locals (and expats) and homosexuuality.

The BRD looks very nice.
But I doubt I could watch this again. IMO - despite the great performances up and down the cast - this is all about the suspense; the movie wouldn't be nearly as much fun knowing what happens. Some people called this director (whose name I can't spell) the 'French Hitchcock,' but IMO Hitch's movies don't depend on the suspense nearly as much. I could rewatch PSYCHO or VERTIGO, but I don't think I could really enjoy re-watching this.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13739 on: July 17, 2014, 08:34:25 PM »

If it's French Guinea, then why would some of the people be speaking Spanish? Cuz they are from a Spanish speaking country? That still doesn't explain why Bimba and Luigi - German and Italian - are speaking French. No, it seems to me like half the time the movie is intended to have everyone speak their native languages, then the other half of the time the time they say, 'it's a French movie, let's have everyone speak French.'
I didn't say it WAS French Guiana, I just used that as an example to demonstrate there are French speaking regions in South America. The country is mythical--but it's certainly plausible that it could be one where French is spoken.

Some characters speak Spanish for the same reason that some characters speak English, German, and Italian.

Bimba is German, so his native language is German. Luigi is Italian, so he speaks Italian. There is no reason to believe either man speaks the other's language. How can they communicate? Simple: their common language is French. They've both had to learn the language after living in the mythical Francophone country in which the film takes place.

Obviously, the film being a French production, the French language is going to predominate. But not unreasonably so. Not like some Hollywood movies that insist the whole world speak English.

Pages: 1 ... 914 915 [916] 917 918 ... 1169 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM