Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2017, 03:24:40 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 916 917 [918] 919 920 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1770734 times)
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13755 on: July 20, 2014, 03:23:14 AM »

OK, you're right about that. That film really annoys me.

It does not annoy me. The atmosphere of repression at the school is well created. But the (foreseeable) ending makes a joke out of most of the suspense stuff before. And how suddenly Vanel appears and turns all quickly into a happy end was 8in Drink's words) ridiculous.
But The Wages of Fear is a really impressive work. For the rickety wooden platform scene alone the film deserves accolades.

But it was exactly that scene which made me laugh. Because it was obvious for me that there was so much space in that bend, that the truck could have easily and without any hesitating curved around that rock. This scene was shot by people who never drove a truck. And that was too much palpable in the whole suspense part. It all did not feel right for me. There was too much artificial drama in the directing, acting and in the dialogues.
Great was how Clouzot designed the explosion of the first truck.

I'm surprised you don't like La Vérité. The cynical view of the law profession was, I thought, spot on.

Again, it all felt wrong. And the clumsy dialogues were all the time explaining what happened and, worse, what the film wants to tell us. Funny is how the then spectacular erotic scenes were filled in at every possible and impossible moment. The conception of the next expected nude scene (well more or less nude) of Bardot was the only thing which made me watch the film until it's lame end.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #13756 on: July 20, 2014, 12:47:55 PM »

Has anyone seen the recent friedkin version? I've heard only good things about it.
Recent? 1977 is recent?

It's availability on home video is recent, and there's a new DCP of it. I saw the film on its first run in the US and was impressed (at the time I didn't know it was a remake). I might have seen it again in the early 80s, but since then, not until the Blu-ray appeared. I snatched the Blu up thinking I was really gonna enjoy it. In fact, it left me feeling flat (F. has a bad habit in this of not finishing scenes). It drove me back to Clouzot's version, which is so much better.

Friedkin is now telling everyone that Sorcerer is his best film, but he's delusional. He's really good about commenting on other people's films; his own, not so much.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #13757 on: July 20, 2014, 01:15:16 PM »

DJ, so now you have Groggy in your signature?  Angry   I demand signature monogamy!  Angry

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13758 on: July 20, 2014, 05:58:28 PM »

Recent? 1977 is recent?

Ah I did'nt realise it was so old. I thought it was a early 2000's film. My mistake.

It's availability on home video is recent, and there's a new DCP of it. I saw the film on its first run in the US and was impressed (at the time I didn't know it was a remake). I might have seen it again in the early 80s, but since then, not until the Blu-ray appeared. I snatched the Blu up thinking I was really gonna enjoy it. In fact, it left me feeling flat (F. has a bad habit in this of not finishing scenes). It drove me back to Clouzot's version, which is so much better.

Hum. Disapointing.

Friedkin is now telling everyone that Sorcerer is his best film, but he's delusional. He's really good about commenting on other people's films; his own, not so much.

Yes. He's crazy.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13759 on: July 20, 2014, 06:39:03 PM »

Witness for the Prosecution - 8/10 - Fun courtroom drama with a twist. One of Charles Laughton's best roles, with Marlene Dietrich and Elsa Lanchester earning honorable mentions.

The Shoes of the Fisherman - 3/10 - Irredeemably boring religious drama/political thriller. Pity points for set design and Anthony Quinn not embarrassing himself.

Saturday nights with Groggy
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13760 on: July 20, 2014, 11:44:37 PM »

One more note about TAXI! (1932) : George Raft makes a brief appearance as a dancer. As soon as I saw him, I dropped my head and said, "Oh no, not George Raft!" But luckily, he's gone after that very brief scene. I guess that at that point, he wasn't a star yet, just a dancer. We'd have all been better off if he'd stayed that way.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13761 on: July 22, 2014, 03:21:54 PM »

A Dispatch from Reuter's (1940) 8/10 (TCM)

The story of Julius Reuter – played by Edward G. Robinson – who founded the famous news agency. This movie isn't out on DVD; I believe that currently, TCM is the only way to see it.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13762 on: July 23, 2014, 12:15:14 PM »

Bay of Angels (1963) - 8/10. Claude Mann--a dead ringer for our man Drink--gets interested in gambling. He heads to Cannes and runs into Jeanne Moreau (with her hair bleached), a totally degenerate gambler. Drink--er, Claude--is smitten, but Jeanne is only interested in what she can get out of a man (in this case, she thinks Claude will bring her luck). When they're winning, they're living the high life (which includes a trip to Monte Carlo). Other times, their need for money makes them desperate. This rollercoaster ride of fortune is rather wearing--and then the film ends, suddenly, improbably. This is a Jacques Demy film without songs, filmed in beautiful black and white. The Criterion Blu-ray transfer gets a 10/10.

The Wind Will Carry Us (1999) - 10/10. A TV documentary filmmaker from Tehran comes to a Kurdish village with his crew. They intend to film a bizarre ritual in which, upon the death of a member of the community, the local women disfigure and mutilate themselves. Unhappily, the ancient crone (never shown) who is to provide the trigger for this event refuses to die, and the filmmaker is left to wait, in a village where there is nothing to do. This film about waiting is Kiarostami's masterpiece, his last shot on film, and it is beautiful, every frame a painting. The Blu-ray from Cohen Media sports a great transfer, and in spite of occasional speckles on the print, the image rates a 10/10.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13763 on: July 23, 2014, 12:51:56 PM »

I never heard of Claude Mann, but he must be a sexy motherfucker ....
I believe I saw this movie somewhere on TCM's upcoming schedule (perhaps on Jeanne Moreau day August?) I will set my DVR to record myself banging Jeanne Moreau in a previous life Wink

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13764 on: July 23, 2014, 01:48:27 PM »

I never heard of Claude Mann
He's also in Army of Shadows. Jeez, see some films, will ya?
but he must be a sexy motherfucker ....
I don't know about that. He DOES appear to have ADS, though.  Evil

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13765 on: July 23, 2014, 11:47:07 PM »

ARMY OF SHADOWS is high in my Netflix queue; I hope to see it in the not-too-distant future

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13766 on: July 24, 2014, 12:00:18 AM »

I am being lectured to SEE SOME MOVIES by the guy who hasn't seen THE BRIDGES OF MADISON COUNTY and MYSTIC RIVER, the two greatest movies Eastwood has ever directed and two of the ten best movies of the past 25 years?
As an added attraction for MR, the girl who plays Kevin Bacon's wife is a fine blond with an even finer mustache.

P.s. On a related note, I am in middle of reading Scott Eyman's new John Wayne bio; in discussing the marriage problems with Wayne's second wife, Chata, the book talks about how one of the things that bothered Wayne greatly about her was that she didn't shave her legs, and this issue between them particularly blew up after she once wore a tennis skirt to a party ..... I can just see DJ panting at the eroticism ....

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13767 on: July 24, 2014, 02:09:10 AM »

I never heard of Claude Mann, but he must be a sexy motherfucker ....
I believe I saw this movie somewhere on TCM's upcoming schedule (perhaps on Jeanne Moreau day August?) I will set my DVR to record myself banging Jeanne Moreau in a previous life Wink

yup, Bay of Angels will be playing on Jeanne Moreau Day on TCM's Summer Under the Stars: August 8th
http://www.tcm.com/schedule/index.html?tz=PST&sdate=2014-08-08

My dvr will be set to that and a few other titles  Smiley

sargatanas
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #13768 on: July 24, 2014, 05:49:08 AM »

" joe cocker : mad dogs & englishman "
this classic rock film captures
one of the most exciting concert tours ever
and defines the spirit of a generation
in much the same way as
" woodstock " and " the last waltz "
 Afro

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13769 on: July 24, 2014, 02:43:03 PM »

P.s. On a related note, I am in middle of reading Scott Eyman's new John Wayne bio; in discussing the marriage problems with Wayne's second wife, Chata, the book talks about how one of the things that bothered Wayne greatly about her was that she didn't shave her legs, and this issue between them particularly blew up after she once wore a tennis skirt to a party ..... I can just see DJ panting at the eroticism ....
Maybe not in that case, but here:

Une chambre en ville (1982) - 7/10. First Blu-ray viewing--heck, first viewing, period. A Jacques Demy film without Michel Legrand! There's plenty of music anyway: as in The Umbrellas of Cherbourg, all the dialog is done as recitative. The plot (against a background of shipyard strikes in 1955 Nantes) is an intersecting double love triangle, and it ends tragically, which may be why this film tanked when originally shown. Dominique Sanda plays the obscure object of desire for two men, and she parades about most of the film in a fur coat with nothing on underneath. She actually flashes the audience twice. There's a wonderful bit where, after trysting with her lover in bed, she leans back and stretches her arm over her head--and immediately reveals a mouth-watering clump of underarm hair. And this film didn't do well? The Criterion transfer gets a 9/10.

Pages: 1 ... 916 917 [918] 919 920 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM