Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2017, 03:16:16 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 920 921 [922] 923 924 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1768307 times)
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13815 on: August 17, 2014, 03:26:33 AM »

Zombieland - 7/10

5th viewing? Jesse Eisenberg is, by far, the best actor of his generation. Woody Harrelson is one of the most underrated actors around. Like many great child actors, Abigail Breslin is losing what made her great when younger (although in here she still has her moments). Anyway, as long as she keeps her childish "Little Miss Sunshine" smile, you can count me in:

Emma Stone is as hot as Emma Stone but her make up is terrible here. No spoiler, but the guy doing the cameo is disappointing (even if his scenes are well written).

Apart from that, the movie has its ups and downs but as a whole it is funny as hell. Also, it supports multiple viewings.

From what I heard, do not try to watch the Netflix show they adapted from the movie: everyone says it's terrible.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 03:31:12 AM by noodles_leone » Logged

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13816 on: August 17, 2014, 07:44:33 AM »

Zombieland - 7/10

Jesse Eisenberg is, by far, the best actor of his generation.
What

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13817 on: August 17, 2014, 07:45:11 AM »

The Giver - 6/10 - Never read or else don't remember the book. The movie's a pretty typical YA adaptation with action, dystopian government and Jeff Bridges and Meryl Streep lending gravitas. The leads are pretty bland; Taylor Swift surprisingly decent. Not a bad waste of two hours.

Saturday nights with Groggy
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13818 on: August 17, 2014, 08:03:28 AM »

What

What what? You're a Shia Labeouf or a Mickael Cera fan?

www.ThibautOskian.com
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #13819 on: August 17, 2014, 03:55:45 PM »

Get on Up (2014) enjoyed this 7/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13820 on: August 17, 2014, 08:24:33 PM »

What what? You're a Shia Labeouf or a Mickael Cera fan?
I don't know...Ryan Gosling? Joseph Gordon-Levitt? Off the top of my head those are both far superior to Jesse Eisenberg, who I consider probably the most irritating actor of his generation. I mean, Social Network is great and all, but other than that he hasn't yet left his awkward, mumbling, hipster teenager schtick yet, where his characters in Adventureland, Zombieland, 30 Minutes or Less, and every movie trailer I've seen him in are clearly...you know... the same.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13821 on: August 18, 2014, 04:40:20 AM »

I never licked JGL: no charisma, no interesting face and "ok" skills. Gosling is good but doesn't bring anything new on the table. Although I like his presence, he's like young DiCaprio meets young Clooney. He can age well, like these two. Eisenberg started his career as a smart Michael Cera in these coming of age movies, that's true. He did however bring real charisma and his personal touch to characters that would have been far more generic if played by almost anyone else. He was amazing in the Social Network and it was a revelation for me (and pretty much anyone else I guess). But I strongly believe in him, just wait for his thriller parts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OTNhcO-56E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wu8FVn-8I1E

I don't think those two are great movies (haven't seen them) but I'm ready to bet he's great in them. I cannot wait for him to star in good serious movies.

SKYFALL - 6.5/10

I missed it in theaters and couldn't find a way to rent it since then. So f*ck it, I bought it on iTunes yesterday.
As I feared, Sam Mendes is NOT an action director. Every single action scene is slow and already old. It always takes me out of a movie when I'm screaming at my TV "JAMES!!!! SHOOT HIM DON'T SLOWLY TURNS AROUND TO WATCH THE TRAIN YOU WILL EASILY DODGE". What I didn't know is that he's not a comedy director either. Every classic Bond punchline is made dull and NOT funny by the directing and the editing. In 2013, you don't have the right to cut to a smile of James Bond 2 seconds after someone in the room made a joke. If you want his smile, put it during the joke, not after. That's just comedy 101.

Anyway, lots of good and bad stuff in this one. Like most people, I liked the way they slowly recreate the Bond mythology (with reboots twists) while adding backgroung to the character. The quality of the movie itself apart, this Bond film elevates the franchise. It became exciting again (as a franchise, it had not been exciting for decades). Now, the script looks like a first draft, with tens of good ideas and thousands of awkwardly unprofessional mistakes.

Judith Dench is a great actress but she's beyond terrible with anything physical: shooting, running and suffering.

I have to say the main thing that made me buy this film is that I wanted to see how DP Deakins was doing with his first digital film. He did great with many night sequences, including the climax that has some incredible shots in it. He was less at ease with daylight exteriors, struggling hard with the highlights in some scenes. Night or days, his close up were disappointing (he's always been better at wide shots anyway). The scene in the glass building was also disappointing (good idea but it's far from brilliant stuff like Lady From Shanghai) but I guess it's more of a directing problem rather than a flawed cinematography.

Now, I have a question. When hiding at night from 10 bad guys with weapons, WHO THE HELL DOES USE A TORCH LIGHT?

« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 05:04:22 AM by noodles_leone » Logged

www.ThibautOskian.com
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13822 on: August 18, 2014, 05:33:59 AM »

Now, I have a question. When hiding at night from 10 bad guys with weapons, WHO THE HELL DOES USE A TORCH LIGHT?

Skyfall is full of such stuff you better not think much about. What is that for a trap Bond sets at the end when he is waiting alone for Silva and his gang? With M at his side instead of hiding here somewhere in safety. Actually it is only Bond's fault that M dies. But the film does not realise this.

I like Joseph Gordon-Levitt very much. He has a face and he has charisma. Gosling also.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13823 on: August 18, 2014, 05:52:18 AM »

Skyfall is full of such stuff you better not think much about. What is that for a trap Bond sets at the end when he is waiting alone for Silva and his gang? With M at his side instead of hiding here somewhere in safety. Actually it is only Bond's fault that M dies. But the film does not realise this.

I like Joseph Gordon-Levitt very much. He has a face and he has charisma. Gosling also.

SPOILERS ALERT

Yeah, most "plans" in this film have this little problem: they're not plans. What exactly is the bad guy trying to do? Being caught just to... be... in London? What is James Bond expecting when he goes to the island? Why does he insist on killing baddies only 2 seconds after they kill innocent people? That's the kind of stuff that make the script look like a first draft: the flaws are easy to spot when reading the script and only need like a day of work to address everything before the shooting.

www.ThibautOskian.com
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13824 on: August 18, 2014, 03:34:26 PM »

I never licked JGL: no charisma, no interesting face and "ok" skills. Gosling is good but doesn't bring anything new on the table. Although I like his presence, he's like young DiCaprio meets young Clooney. He can age well, like these two. Eisenberg started his career as a smart Michael Cera in these coming of age movies, that's true. He did however bring real charisma and his personal touch to characters that would have been far more generic if played by almost anyone else. He was amazing in the Social Network and it was a revelation for me (and pretty much anyone else I guess). But I strongly believe in him, just wait for his thriller parts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OTNhcO-56E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wu8FVn-8I1E

I don't think those two are great movies (haven't seen them) but I'm ready to bet he's great in them. I cannot wait for him to star in good serious movies.

I don't think JGL and Gosling are amazing actors either, but I'd definitely put them above Eisenberg for their generation. As far as those two trailers go, I do see more potential and development. But as of now... I'll give him The Social Network, and that's it (in terms of 'best actor of generation' type stuff, it's not like he's necessarily a bad actor in his 'Land' movies and 30 Minutes or Less... just an average one).

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13825 on: August 18, 2014, 05:18:01 PM »

How about Skyfall ripping off the whole middle section from The Dark Knight? That bugged me more than any plot holes.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13826 on: August 18, 2014, 05:38:38 PM »

What's the rip off for you? The part where Bardem is captured but it was all a trap and then escapes?

www.ThibautOskian.com
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13827 on: August 18, 2014, 05:42:19 PM »

Followed shortly afterwards by an assassination attempt by villains dressed as cops.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13828 on: August 18, 2014, 07:04:22 PM »

Don't forget Bond going to Japan and partaking in a clever skyscraper break-in in order to attain crucial information. It's at that point I realized Skyfall was actually The Dark Knight, and the rest of the movie continued to prove it.

I like it though, still.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13829 on: August 21, 2014, 07:16:47 PM »

Heaven Knows, Mr. Allison - 7/10 - Marine Robert Mitchum and nun Deborah Kerr fight Japanese soldiers on a remote Pacific Island. Middling John Huston: basically a landlocked African Queen, but the stars make it work.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 06:03:03 AM by Groggy » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 920 921 [922] 923 924 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM