Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 04:45:56 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 932 933 [934] 935 936 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1770013 times)
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13995 on: September 26, 2014, 07:32:20 AM »

The principal baddie is played by Marton Csokas, a real find--he's the new Eric Braeden (I hope he plays lots more villains before he gets his cushy job on a soap).

"A real find"? He's been acting for twenty years and doing big-budget stuff for a decade. Heck, he was in The Debt which I recall you raving about.

Saturday nights with Groggy
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13996 on: September 26, 2014, 08:13:18 AM »

Greaser's Palace - 2/10
Didn't dig it. Felt like a crappier Jodorowsky movie. Some funny moments though, but too incoherent and surreal for me to really appreciate.

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #13997 on: September 26, 2014, 10:27:28 AM »

Felt like a crappier Jodorowsky movie.
Speaking of which...

La danza de la realidad (2013) - 3/10
Jodorowski's latest film (and the only one I've seen). A piece of crap. Points for some music pieces and a couple of moderately interesting ideas. Other than that: one of the worst films I've ever sat through. Could be a 2/10 even.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #13998 on: September 26, 2014, 11:21:48 AM »

Heck, he was in The Debt which I recall you raving about.
He did not play a villain in The Debt. That's what I was talking about, he's a real find as a screen villain, the Man You Love to Hate kind. Maybe he's played heavies elsewhere, but his performance here was a revelation to me.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13999 on: September 26, 2014, 01:31:53 PM »

(ChloŽ Grace Moretz, who's about as Russian as my left nut)

Is the right one probably Ukrainian? Then there is hope for the future ...

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14000 on: September 27, 2014, 08:53:33 AM »

Inferno (1953) - 7/10. 1080p. This film has a great premise, indifferently executed. After an accident in the Mojave, a wealthy man (Robert Ryan) is left to die by his adulterous wife (Rhonda Fleming) and her lover (Some Guy). But Rich Boy won't go easy, and through cunning and persistence, he manages not only to survive but also to slowly make his way out of the desert. Meanwhile, back at the ranch/Palm Springs, it slowly dawns on Wifey and Trophy Boy that they may have to return to the Mojave to finish the job. This film was shot in 3-D, so to accommodate the technology of the day, the filmmakers made the running time as short as they could. That means matters begin in medias res--we see the murderous couple literally covering their tracks and preparing other feints during the opening credits. Thus the beginning of the love affair, the accident, and the couple's sudden decision to take advantage of the opportunity has already happened before the start. Usually I would praise this kind of efficiency--we get right to the crux of things without wasting time--but we paid, after all, to see Robert Ryan do his thing. We hear lots of stories about how nasty his character is, but we never get to see him in (that kind of) action. It would have been great to watch him goading the boyfriend, treating his wife like dirt, just before putting his foot wrong (or whatever). And then the scene where the wife and boyfriend get their murderous idea . . . well, something to use in the re-make, perhaps. One of the great things about the film is that it was also shot in Technicolor: Fleming's flaming tresses are much on display. The film has not been shown to advantage much, until now. The new Blu-ray from the UK (Region B) offers a nice transfer (at least in 2-D, I'm not set up to play the 3-D version), in spite of some noticeable print damage in the first 10 minutes. I just wish they'd found an extra 20 minutes to restore to the beginning.

Across 110th Street (1972) - 4/10. 1080p. Anthony Quinn's performance in this is risible, Yaphet Kotto's is merely bland, and the story is both trite and dull. The only thing worth salvaging is the title song by Bobby Womack, a service performed by QT did when he re-purposed it for the beginning of Jackie Brown, even finding a better rendition to use. OK, I guess the period location work is worth something.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14001 on: September 27, 2014, 06:41:09 PM »

The Paper Chase - 8/10 - I'm sure Drink could better enlighten us on its realism but I thought it was a good drama. John Houseman is excellent as the intractable professor from hell. A minor demerit for the superfluous romance but hardly a fatal flaw.

The Browning Version (1994) - 8/10 - Albert Finney does an excellent job as Arthur Crocker-Harris, another terrible teacher ("the Hitler of the Lower Fifth") in this Terence Rattigan adaptation. Would have to rewatch the Michael Redgrave Version to see which is better. This one uses a modern day setting with resulting cultural impacts (one instructor is American, there's a Nigerian student), adds a few subplots (Taplow being bullied) and fleshes out supporting characters. The big difference is that "the Crock" is much more sympathetic, less oblivious asshole than frustrated burnout. Your mileage may vary which approach works better.

Saturday nights with Groggy
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #14002 on: September 27, 2014, 09:07:47 PM »

Boogie Nights is perfection - I love every fucking frame of that movie. The 2.5 hours feel more like 30 minutes. If not for OUATIA, I'd easily consider it my favorite film by a long shot.

I thought you said The Deer Hunter is your favorite American movie aside from OUATIA

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14003 on: October 03, 2014, 04:39:59 AM »

while we were off the air for a week, I finally saw Army of Shadows (Criterion DVD) I give it an 8/10.

Also:

The Great Sinner (1949) First 2/3 is enjoyable, last 1/3 is not, I give it a 6.5/10. Walter Huston is always great. Agnes Moorhead wasted in a tiny role. Ava Gardner may be pretty but nothing special in the acting department.

I Never Sang for my Father (1970) 7.5/10 - Melvyn Douglas is incredible

The Glass Wall (1953) 6/10 - the location footage of this movie was filmed with hidden cameras, full of stolen shots of Manhattan, Times Square, etc. The location footage is about all that is interesting about this movie. The trailer is hilarious https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKcPOqfIM5U introducing Vittorio Gassman to American audiences, it says, "Shelley Winters loves him ... and so will you!" and "Never before as thrilling a chase," and  "The most explosive manhunt ever filmed!"  Grin Grin Grin I got a bigger kick out of the trailer than the movie

« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 04:53:54 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14004 on: October 03, 2014, 06:06:45 AM »

while we were off the air for a week
Yeah, what was up with that?

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14005 on: October 03, 2014, 06:10:29 AM »

I assume the site was hacked. It happened before to other sites, and it will happen again now and then.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14006 on: October 03, 2014, 06:19:27 AM »

Or someone was late with their hosting fee . . . ?

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14007 on: October 03, 2014, 07:48:46 AM »

I hope it wasn't a hacking issue ... I hope someone was just late with paying the hosting fee ... hope there are no viruses on the site ...

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #14008 on: October 03, 2014, 08:54:17 AM »

Or someone was late with their hosting fee . . . ?

As I see bwana wasn't around for a month or so now this is more likely.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14009 on: October 03, 2014, 09:09:26 AM »

I thought you said The Deer Hunter is your favorite American movie aside from OUATIA
That's a hell of a memory, man. Tastes change I guess, Deer Hunter's up there though.

Putney Swope (1969) - 7/10
The 50 Year Argument (2014) - 6.5/10
Amores Perros - 9/10
Once Upon a Time in America - 10/10
Extended blu-ray. Fully convinced I'll never see a better movie (other than the theatrical cut)

Pages: 1 ... 932 933 [934] 935 936 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM