Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2017, 05:15:08 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 933 934 [935] 936 937 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1766762 times)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #14010 on: October 03, 2014, 11:08:23 AM »

That's a hell of a memory, man. Tastes change I guess, Deer Hunter's up there though.

when it comes to movies, I don't forget nuthin Wink

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #14011 on: October 04, 2014, 04:08:59 AM »

Blues in the Night (1941) Meh nothing special 6/10
Loan Shark / Arson Inc (1949) Loan Shark 6.5-7/10 Arson Inc 5/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #14012 on: October 04, 2014, 12:26:55 PM »

Love Streams (1984) - ?/10

This movie gets a lot of things right concerning the psychology of the characters, which I like (for example how fucked up people (pretty much everybody nowadays) have to run around in circles, never being able to get out, break free, fulfill their potential, actually change something for the better consciously, sadly having to accept and follow 'help' from fellows around them who don't (and don't want to) understand them - the shrink), without underlying or trying to tie any loose ends - and that is perhaps THE problem - as movies, in the end, have to have some sort of structure they adhere to. Otherwise they are not really movies, and cannot be treated as such. Which ironically, means this is probably as realistic as it can be... But, in the light of what I said, I grant it the extraordinary privilege of not rating it. Until maybe, I find the inclination to watch it again.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14013 on: October 04, 2014, 06:23:32 PM »

Gone Girl - 8/10 - Still processing this one: how do you review a movie that's 90% plot twists? Think Psycho meets A Cry in the Dark, an overplotted thriller with a jolting twist and vicious media satire thrown in. Credit David Fincher for playing the material straight: the humdrum first hour sets up a ludicrous, yet compelling second act, and it ties together in savage fashion. Fincher's direction is faultless, the script sharp and funny, the acting impeccable: Ben Affleck and Tyler Perry, not exactly master thespians, do great work, with Kim Dickens and Carrie Coon stealing their scenes. And Rosamund Pike - man, where's she been since that awful Bond movie 12 years ago? Girl has the style and looks of a Hitchcock heroine with talent to match.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 06:24:34 PM by Groggy » Logged

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #14014 on: October 04, 2014, 07:48:22 PM »

Inherent Vice (2014) - 2/10. It's as if Cheech and Chong had decided to do a Chandler adaptation. Two-plus hours of pot-and-PI jokes that never land (although the idiots I saw this with laughed a lot). The images look like shit--was PTA going for an early-70s retro look?--and this is the worst edited film I've seen in ages. Finally, the sound was awful, I had to strain to catch everything each character said--but this might have been the fault of the Alice Tully, where I saw it, which has some of the worst cinema sound in town. Doubtless Mr. Power will be along in a few minutes to dissemble, rationalize, and generally do some special pleading, but don't be taken in. I'll pony up 2 points, for both of the Neil Young tunes on the soundtrack, but otherwise this is the biggest disappointment of the year.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #14015 on: October 04, 2014, 10:04:41 PM »

Inherent Vice (2014) - 2/10. It's as if Cheech and Chong had decided to do a Chandler adaptation. Two-plus hours of pot-and-PI jokes that never land (although the idiots I saw this with laughed a lot). The images look like shit--was PTA going for an early-70s retro look?--and this is the worst edited film I've seen in ages. Finally, the sound was awful, I had to strain to catch everything each character said--but this might have been the fault of the Alice Tully, where I saw it, which has some of the worst cinema sound in town. Doubtless Mr. Power will be along in a few minutes to dissemble, rationalize, and generally do some special pleading, but don't be taken in. I'll pony up 2 points, for both of the Neil Young tunes on the soundtrack, but otherwise this is the biggest disappointment of the year.

Exciting. Now I can't wait to see it.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14016 on: October 04, 2014, 10:22:30 PM »

Finally, the sound was awful, I had to strain to catch everything each character said--but this might have been the fault of the Alice Tully, where I saw it, which has some of the worst cinema sound in town.

Finally, you realize how bad the sound at Lincoln Center is  Grin (of course, when we were there I think we were in a different theater, but now you understand why I kept getting up to get more popcorn. Not to mention the damaged early reels  Wink )

I sure hope that Mr. Power enjoys it more than you did, if he really came down to New York pretty much just for this movie.

Hey, doesn't affect me none, I'm not interested in comedy  Wink

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14017 on: October 05, 2014, 11:19:06 AM »

Treasure Island (1990) - 5.5/10

I wasn't impressed with this though it may be a good children's movie... that's not for children. Hmm. Don't remember the original novel anymore so I'll spare the sticks and rocks, but the fact remains there's not much enthusiasm or ideas in it. It's a TV movie.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 11:24:39 AM by Dust Devil » Logged

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14018 on: October 05, 2014, 12:36:22 PM »

Actually, these two episodes of Oliver Reed (about the movie, and other things Smiley) on a British talk show are priceless:

1) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1BASXIpJPg&noredirect=1
2) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBnXZtebr0g

10/10

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14019 on: October 05, 2014, 04:32:01 PM »

Finally, you realize how bad the sound at Lincoln Center is  Grin (of course, when we were there I think we were in a different theater, but now you understand why I kept getting up to get more popcorn. Not to mention the damaged early reels  Wink )
The sound in the Walter Reade is much better than in the Alice Tully. When I saw the OUATIA 4K DCP there last week I didn't have any hearing issues.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14020 on: October 05, 2014, 04:36:18 PM »

The sound in the Walter Reade is much better than in the Alice Tully. When I saw the OUATIA 4K DCP there last week I didn't have any hearing issues.

which theater were we in when we went with CJ three years ago?

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14021 on: October 05, 2014, 04:41:40 PM »

Walter Reade.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14022 on: October 06, 2014, 05:24:18 PM »

Rampart - 7/10
Time Out of Mind - 7/10

Minor spoilers:

Inherent Vice - 7.5/10
The main fault with Inherent Vice, and all Pynchon novels besides Mason & Dixon, is the idea of taking an overly intricate plot and using it almost solely for the purpose of creating something with a larger meaning behind it. Once this meaning becomes evident, the plot meanders away and becomes useless in its intricacy. Inherent Vice is extremely focused on plot for nearly the entire movie, but every twist, character, and subject of paranoia eventuall just fades away into nothing as the  movie attempts to make a point regarding cultural & social adjustment at end of the hippie era (similar to adjustment in society post-WW2 as in The Master). If the plot really isn't so important, why spend so much time focusing on it as opposed to the film's potentially excellent characters and moments of beauty? Perhaps Pynchon is more to blame here (god forbid in my fanboy-ism I ever fault PT Anderson). In short, the strong points of the movie lose their weight in an overly complicated and convoluted plot. One can say it's unique and unconventional storytelling, but I just say it's poor storytelling.

Compared to the rest of PTA's post-Hard Eight work, it's his least visual. Being more focused on dialogue, a majority of Inherent Vice is shot in closeups. It lacks any 'big' moments such as TWBB oil explosions, Magnolia frogs, or The Master processing sequences - it's more restrained than anything hes done in that way. What it does have is an excellent, layered protaganist brought to life by Phoenix. Big Lebowski comparisons are inevitable and definitely in there in its structure, but Doc Sportello is far from The Dude - he's more humane, but still retains the stoner humor. Josh Brolin steals the show as the brutish, straight cop / Doc antaganist Bigfoot. Contrary to what DJ (and our strange comedy-hater D+D) thinks, it is a pretty damn funny movie. As low-brow and blatant as it is, extended scenes of Josh Brolin essentially performing oral on a chocolate covered, frozen banana is worthy of a good laugh. The use of music is excellent, and there are some really beautiful scenes in there (flashbacks in the rain, Pacific ocean, etc.). Most importantly, the movie is fun. It's wild and all over the place - which definitely hurts it in the long run - but it remains constantly entertaining through its characters and dialogue. This is what really saves the movie, which is otherwise definitely one of PTA's lesser works.

But a 2 DJ?! I can definitely understand not liking it, as it was a let down for even me ...2 seems low, but what can ya do. Where were you in the theater? I was the very front row... which was uncomfortable and sucked dick. Could see the whole screen, but could only focus on about one half of it at a time.  And yes the sound was pretty fucking terrible. Glad I went though, went to the PTA talk the next day too and saw the surprisingly good Time Out of Mind. Going back for a couple movies next weekend thanks to insanely cheap Megabus tickets and a free place to stay.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 05:28:11 PM by PowerRR » Logged
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14023 on: October 07, 2014, 06:16:39 AM »

Rampart - 7/10
Time Out of Mind - 7/10

Minor spoilers:

Inherent Vice - 7.5/10
But a 2 DJ?! I can definitely understand not liking it, as it was a let down for even me ...2 seems low, but what can ya do. Where were you in the theater? I was the very front row... which was uncomfortable and sucked dick. Could see the whole screen, but could only focus on about one half of it at a time.  And yes the sound was pretty fucking terrible.
I had a pretty unpleasant time. I was sitting in the R 107, quite a ways away from the screen, left of center. I didn't think anything in it was funny (I did miss the beginning, though, so maybe there's a gag or two I would have appreciated there). The principals were not funny, Owen Wilson wasn't funny, Martin Short wasn't funny, I laughed at nothing. Maybe with better sound I would have enjoyed it more. Visually the film was dull--as you say, it was all close-ups (and two-shots)--"lazy filmmaking" as noodles_leone would say. It was shot like it was a TV show from the 70s. I tried to find something to like about it, and the best I could come up with were those Neil Young tunes. Tastes differ, of course, but for me this is an unfunny comedy that looks like shit. Sorry.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14024 on: October 07, 2014, 06:34:18 AM »

Inherent Vice - 7.5/10
The main fault with Inherent Vice, and all Pynchon novels besides Mason & Dixon, is the idea of taking an overly intricate plot and using it almost solely for the purpose of creating something with a larger meaning behind it. Once this meaning becomes evident, the plot meanders away and becomes useless in its intricacy. Inherent Vice is extremely focused on plot for nearly the entire movie, but every twist, character, and subject of paranoia eventuall just fades away into nothing as the  movie attempts to make a point regarding cultural & social adjustment at end of the hippie era (similar to adjustment in society post-WW2 as in The Master). If the plot really isn't so important, why spend so much time focusing on it as opposed to the film's potentially excellent characters and moments of beauty? Perhaps Pynchon is more to blame here (god forbid in my fanboy-ism I ever fault PT Anderson). In short, the strong points of the movie lose their weight in an overly complicated and convoluted plot. One can say it's unique and unconventional storytelling, but I just say it's poor storytelling.

Compared to the rest of PTA's post-Hard Eight work, it's his least visual. Being more focused on dialogue, a majority of Inherent Vice is shot in closeups. It lacks any 'big' moments such as TWBB oil explosions, Magnolia frogs, or The Master processing sequences - it's more restrained than anything hes done in that way.
Btw, your analysis up to this point is excellent. We obviously diverge when you start toting up the positives, but your handle on the film's essential problems is spot on.

Pages: 1 ... 933 934 [935] 936 937 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM