Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2017, 03:57:16 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 935 936 [937] 938 939 ... 1166 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1806573 times)
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14040 on: October 10, 2014, 09:09:47 AM »

Black Cross / The Teutonic Knights (1960) - 4/10. The film is 175 minutes long, but I could only give it about an hour before walking out.

WH... what?? You rated a movie you didn't finished? EDIT THIS POST NOW BEFORE D&D SEES IT! NOW!!!!

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #14041 on: October 10, 2014, 10:11:44 AM »

I'll take my chances.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14042 on: October 10, 2014, 05:07:30 PM »

We're in The Girl With A Dragon Tattoo territory: brilliantly executed ok script.

I think there's a lot more to chew on here than Dragon Tattoo. I didn't think about that movie at all after seeing it, but I'm still thinking about Gone Girl.

Saturday nights with Groggy
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14043 on: October 11, 2014, 01:58:51 AM »

I think there's a lot more to chew on here than Dragon Tattoo. I didn't think about that movie at all after seeing it, but I'm still thinking about Gone Girl.

You're kind of right. Dragon Tattoo was all about the characters. Gone Girl is more of a statement about wedding and media, so there is more to discuss. Still, Dragon Tattoo is far from the empty shiny shell that it could seem to be.

www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #14044 on: October 11, 2014, 02:36:06 PM »

Dragon Tattoo was all about the characters.
Since the characters are without much depth, there's not much to think about after they've been returned to the ether.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14045 on: October 11, 2014, 03:58:58 PM »

No. She's interesting and he's fascinating. Their main quality is that they're incredibly human. That's Fincher's first skill.

www.ThibautOskian.com
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #14046 on: October 11, 2014, 06:02:42 PM »

Night Train (1959) - 7/10. One of those Grand-Hotel-on-wheels type of stories. It's a holiday weekend, and everyone is off to the seaside. We are introduced to our cast of characters: a middle-aged man in sunglasses who wants to be alone; a married woman on the make and her lawyer husband; a bottle-blonde in between unhappy love affairs; the young man pursuing the blonde (played by Pretty Boy from Ashes and Diamonds); a sailor in permanent chat-up mode and the object of his interest; various and sundry other passengers; male and female railroad employees who may or may not be attracted to each other. Their paths temporarily intertwine and all are changed by the experience. Just to make things even more exciting, the newspaper has a story about a fugitive murderer  . . . later the train makes an unscheduled stop, and the State Police come on board. They aren't smiling.

Watched this last night it was entertaining agree with the 7/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #14047 on: October 12, 2014, 12:57:36 AM »

I just saw THE JUDGE. Duvall was terrific, the rest of the cast was good, but this movie doesn't miss a single melodramatic cliche. The screenwriters should be ashamed of themselves. Hardly a character or plot element that we haven't seen before.
I give it a 5.5/10.
Plot synopsis will have minor spoilers.
Robert Downey Jr. Is a successful career-minded lawyer, in Chicago, neglecting his wife, gets called back to his cornbelt childhood home when his mom dies. His dad, a judge (Duvall) tough guy - DADDY DIDN'T LOVE ME! - then his dad gets accused of a an accidental killing, Downey stays to defend his father against his father's wishes, and now ... Can father and son work out their problems? Of course, Downey has an ex-girlfriend (Vera Farmiga) whem he left back home when he left town 20 years earlier, a brother who was a great ballplayer as a kid but was in an accident and -shattered dreams! - a brother who is retarded, Farmiga has a daughter who doesn't know her daddy ....
Yeah, exactly, nuthin you haven't seen before.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 05:23:33 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14048 on: October 12, 2014, 06:30:42 AM »

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978) - 8/10 - Very well-directed and spooky, but the literalness of what's going on pegs it a notch a below the original. Leonard Nimoy as the psychiatrist is brilliant casting.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 01:44:44 PM by Groggy » Logged

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #14049 on: October 12, 2014, 01:33:21 PM »

One more thing about THE JUDGE: for some reason they think we need to see a graphic scene of Duvall having an incontinence attack. Yes, that's right, we gotta see Robert Duvall crapping all over himself and Robert Downey Jr. stepping into the shower with him washing him off. Supposed to be some sort of potential for promoting the father-son relationship.
Friggin seriously?
Oh and btw, of course, there's gotta be some "only in the male fantasy world" crap. Like, the girlfriend that Downey ditched when he left his childhood town 20 years ago is still carrying the torch for him and wants to have a midnight hookup session with him.
Then they go to a bar (for what his basically his mother's wake!) and this young hot chick bartender goes gaga over him and they make out in a phone booth. (that girl does later involve a potential plot twist but whatever),, what a wonderful male fantasy. In midst of the family drama he's dealing with, of course the ex-girlfriend 20 years later hasn't gotten over him long after he has forgotten her and of course every young bartender decides she wants to make out in a phone booth.

Oh, and Downey's little daughter has all the cute little lines/comebacks that even a kid twice her age would never think of.

Only thing I will give this movie a tiny amount of credit for is that - and this is a small SPOILER ALERT  - things don't wind up how you might expect, all perfectly nice and sweet.

Anyway, I have wasted enough cyberspace on this movie. May it die a quick death.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14050 on: October 12, 2014, 02:13:33 PM »

Men, Women and Children (2014) - 1.5/10
Worst film of the year, probably the worst of the decade. Unforgivably bad screenplay. 1.5 points because I love Breaking Bad and dean norris is pretty good in it.

Foxcatcher - 8/10
Performance of year from Carrell. Bennett Miller gets significantly better with each movie... I bet hes got a masterpiece in him eventually

Birdman - 7.5/10
Or the Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance. Good

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14051 on: October 12, 2014, 03:44:48 PM »

Birdman - 7.5/10
Or the Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance. Good

Just "good"?
So from what I understand, the movie isn't a single extended shot, is it? There was some speculation about that when the trailer was released. It all sarted with a little tease by Cuaron, when talking about gravity: he said that in 2014 we were going to see a feature film with only one shot, and that it will be a great movie. Since Cuaron and Inarritu are friends, rumors started pretty quickly.

www.ThibautOskian.com
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14052 on: October 12, 2014, 04:20:49 PM »

Just "good"?
So from what I understand, the movie isn't a single extended shot, is it? There was some speculation about that when the trailer was released. It all sarted with a little tease by Cuaron, when talking about gravity: he said that in 2014 we were going to see a feature film with only one shot, and that it will be a great movie. Since Cuaron and Inarritu are friends, rumors started pretty quickly.
It gives the illusion of a single extended shot, like Rope does. Instead of using physical objects to hide a cut, it's done with effects - some are obvious, some aren't at all. I assume most cuts are made when the camera is moving and characters are off screen. Sometimes the surroundings look a little warped and I believe that's where it cuts. Other times the camera will go into shadow, and other times it'll focus in on a building and time will lapse. Technically this is still amazing, but I fail to see what the point is or how it motivates the plot as the technique does in Rope. If anything it's distracting - instead of focusing on the drama on screen, you're constantly reminded of the show-offness of the camerawork. With Rope, the camerawork does two important things: heighten the tension of the body discovery, and establish the idea that the movie takes place in real time. In Birdman, it's just "cool".

I didn't think it was as hilarious as critics says, and even at two hours it may have been a bit overlong. I like it though but not quite up to the hype. I really liked Emma Stone and Ed Norton in it... even Keaton's performance is overhyped, his character isn't all that interesting

I've seen more or less every 'critically great film' so far this year and the only ones that really live up to the hype are Boyhood and Gone Girl. i'll take 22 jump street, dawn of the planet of the apes, guardians of the galaxy over everything. Hollywood's back bitches!

« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 04:50:10 PM by PowerRR » Logged
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14053 on: October 12, 2014, 05:10:21 PM »

The Elephant Man - 9/10

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14054 on: October 12, 2014, 05:11:05 PM »

It gives the illusion of a single extended shot, like Rope does. Instead of using physical objects to hide a cut, it's done with effects - some are obvious, some aren't at all. I assume most cuts are made when the camera is moving and characters are off screen. Sometimes the surroundings look a little warped and I believe that's where it cuts. Other times the camera will go into shadow, and other times it'll focus in on a building and time will lapse. Technically this is still amazing, but I fail to see what the point is or how it motivates the plot as the technique does in Rope. If anything it's distracting - instead of focusing on the drama on screen, you're constantly reminded of the show-offness of the camerawork. With Rope, the camerawork does two important things: heighten the tension of the body discovery, and establish the idea that the movie takes place in real time. In Birdman, it's just "cool".

I didn't think it was as hilarious as critics says, and even at two hours it may have been a bit overlong. I like it though but not quite up to the hype. I really liked Emma Stone and Ed Norton in it... even Keaton's performance is overhyped, his character isn't all that interesting

I've seen more or less every 'critically great film' so far this year and the only ones that really live up to the hype are Boyhood and Gone Girl. i'll take 22 jump street, dawn of the planet of the apes, guardians of the galaxy over everything. Hollywood's back bitches!

Should I assume from your comments, it has nothing to do with Harvey Birdman?

Pages: 1 ... 935 936 [937] 938 939 ... 1166 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM