Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2017, 05:23:26 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 937 938 [939] 940 941 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1766811 times)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #14070 on: October 14, 2014, 07:43:34 PM »

Truthfully Groggy, I expected better than that from you ...

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14071 on: October 14, 2014, 07:45:48 PM »

Have we met?

Saturday nights with Groggy
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14072 on: October 14, 2014, 07:51:19 PM »

Headed to the AMC Loews on 34th & 8th to see GONE GIRL ...

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14073 on: October 14, 2014, 10:04:00 PM »

In the theater now watching GONE GIRL; looks like Fincher was listening to the Leone camera assistant, lotsa this movie is yellow tinged. Actually, maybe he was influenced by both the old AND new GBU BRD's, cuz there is a yellow and blue tinge.
Lotsa the movie involves flashbacks but there is no noticeably different color between the flashbacks and present-day scenes, it's all yellow and blue tinged.
God-forbid any current filmmaker should offend n_l's artsy sensibilities and film in ... gasp ... somewhat realistic color.
They should just film in black and white.
Yeah I know, half the point of filmmaking is to see how color can be screwed around with the so the filmmakers can say, "Look at how I screwed around with color."

I'm an hour into the movie now and it is pretty bad; I hope it pcks up.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14074 on: October 14, 2014, 11:49:29 PM »

Latter hour and a half was better than the first hour, but still, GONE GIRL is not a good movie. Good performance by the women, Affleck was alright, but that's all.
6/10

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14075 on: October 15, 2014, 01:05:37 AM »

In the theater now watching GONE GIRL; looks like Fincher was listening to the Leone camera assistant, lotsa this movie is yellow tinged. Actually, maybe he was influenced by both the old AND new GBU BRD's, cuz there is a yellow and blue tinge.
Lotsa the movie involves flashbacks but there is no noticeably different color between the flashbacks and present-day scenes, it's all yellow and blue tinged.
God-forbid any current filmmaker should offend n_l's artsy sensibilities and film in ... gasp ... somewhat realistic color.
They should just film in black and white.
Yeah I know, half the point of filmmaking is to see how color can be screwed around with the so the filmmakers can say, "Look at how I screwed around with color."

I'm an hour into the movie now and it is pretty bad; I hope it pcks up.

Fun fact: Fincher's ability to make yellow images look modern and amazing is almost inhuman. I don't know how he does that. the Social Network is very very yellow, Gone Girl is 80% yellow! and both have the best photography I've seen in years. I tried to replicate that and couldn't get close: my yellow was ugly.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14076 on: October 15, 2014, 01:26:15 AM »

Btw, my 6/10 rating - which in my book is a bad rating - has virtally nothing to do with the color. I doubt I'd have rated it any higher no matter the color.

But anyway, what the hell is so exciting about yellow? Why the hell does he do that? If he needed a different color to distinguish flashbacks from present-day, fine. But he uses the same color for flashbacks and present day scenes. Lotsa yellow and some blue as well. Wtf??
To me it's like, black and white is another whole world; color sometimes is manipulated appropriately, e.g. If taking place way in the past, to evoke old photographs; or, as I said, to distinguish flashbacks, or different settings like in TRAFFIC, or the future in sci-fil.
But a straight-up realistic story taking place in the present, I am really not a big fan of what I consider to be unwwarranted color manipulation.

Anyway, did you like the movie?

« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 04:13:43 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14077 on: October 15, 2014, 04:19:31 AM »

It gives the illusion of a single extended shot, like Rope does. Instead of using physical objects to hide a cut, it's done with effects - some are obvious, some aren't at all. I assume most cuts are made when the camera is moving and characters are off screen. Sometimes the surroundings look a little warped and I believe that's where it cuts. Other times the camera will go into shadow, and other times it'll focus in on a building and time will lapse. Technically this is still amazing, but I fail to see what the point is or how it motivates the plot as the technique does in Rope. If anything it's distracting - instead of focusing on the drama on screen, you're constantly reminded of the show-offness of the camerawork. With Rope, the camerawork does two important things: heighten the tension of the body discovery, and establish the idea that the movie takes place in real time. In Birdman, it's just "cool".

I didn't think it was as hilarious as critics says, and even at two hours it may have been a bit overlong. I like it though but not quite up to the hype. I really liked Emma Stone and Ed Norton in it... even Keaton's performance is overhyped, his character isn't all that interesting

I've seen more or less every 'critically great film' so far this year and the only ones that really live up to the hype are Boyhood and Gone Girl. i'll take 22 jump street, dawn of the planet of the apes, guardians of the galaxy over everything. Hollywood's back bitches!

Le Doulos has an 8-minute interrogation scene (cop with toothpicks in his mouth inspired by Sterling Hayden in Crime Wave) which many people don't even realize it is a single shot

« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 04:23:03 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14078 on: October 15, 2014, 04:31:45 AM »

No. She's interesting and he's fascinating. Their main quality is that they're incredibly human. That's Fincher's first skill.

I was totally taken in by the girl with the dragon tattoo. The story meamnt zero to me. Watching Rooney Mara was everything. Daniel Craig gave a solid performance, but Mara's character is the movie. this movie is all all about enjoying watching her. The story means ZERO. If ever there was a movie whose entire interest was based on how much you enjoyed watching one character, this was it. (IN other movies, like Citizen Kane, you can theoreticallly enjoy the movie even if you don't love seeing Welles on the screen, walk talk, scream, etc. In the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, for me the entire movie was the joy of watching that one character, period.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 03:24:14 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14079 on: October 15, 2014, 04:33:56 AM »

anyway, I haven't yet seen any ratings from any of you for GONE GIRL .... please share ....
NO SPOPILERS AT ALL IN THE RTLMYS THREAD; IF WE WANNA DISCUSS SPOILERS, WE GOTTA MAKE ANOTHER THREAD. Not breathing a word of the story is as important here as it was for Psycho  Wink

UPDATE: I made a new thread for Gone Girl: http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=12064.0

« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 12:39:13 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14080 on: October 15, 2014, 06:41:05 AM »

I was totally taken in by the girl with the dragon tattoo. The story meamnt zero to me. Watching Rooney Mara was everything. Daniel Craig gave a solid performance, but Mara's character is the movie. this movie is all all bout enjoying whatching her. The story means ZERO. If ever there was a movie whose entire interest was based on how much you enjoyed watching one character, this was it. (IN other movies, like Cirtizen Kane, you can theoreticallly enjoy the movie even if you don;y love seeing CKS on the screen, walk talk, scream, etc. In the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, for me the enyire movie was the joy of watching that one character, period.

I fully agree on that. If you're interested in the story, watch the (cheap but quite enjoyable) TV version. The Fincher versiuon is all about the character. However, don't underestimate Craig's character. He's in her shadow and mainly defined by tiny details, but we're talking about Fincher here: the movie is in the details. Also, the 2 characters are very dependent from each other.

anyway, I haven't yet seen any ratings from any of you for GONE GIRL .... please share ....
NO SPOPILERS AT ALL IN THE RTLMYS THREAD; IF WE WANNA DISCUSS SPOILERS, WE GOTTA MAKE ANOTHER THRED. Not breathing a word of the story is as important here as it was for Psycho  Wink

UPDATE: I made a new thread for Gone Girl: http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=12064.0

RR rated it a few pages ago, and I did 2 days after him. It's a 7.5/10 to me (which is a good mark for me) after the first viewing and I have no doubt it will reach 8 or 8.5 after multiple viewings (I'll buy the BD as soon as possible).
I loved most of the film. It often looks like it's from another planet because of the perfection it reaches here and there. Unfortunatly:
- the story isn't the greatest you've ever seen so it's more about its execution (which is fine, but that's not how you do OUATITW league films)
- since it's all about the details and how great Fincher is at directing every single little reaction, every single line, every single shot... when it's not perfect it feels flat and boring. And it happens quite a lot in Gone Girl (the shower scene should be amazing and isn't; when Ben Affleck meets the cop for the first time he watches her ass 3 times in 10 secondes, that's not a "great little detail" anymore, that's just some "heavily underlined heavy stuff for a not so smart movie")

However, even if I had read a lot about how the film is "Fight Club for mariage", I didn't expect it to make me think so much about mariage and relationships afterward. In both a bad and a good way. This overly cynical film is the most helplessly romantic flick since Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind.

www.ThibautOskian.com
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #14081 on: October 15, 2014, 07:03:59 AM »

The Social Network for free on cable, nothing special watchable 7/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14082 on: October 15, 2014, 07:16:11 AM »

The Social Network for free on cable, nothing special watchable 7/10

It's a 9/10 to me, and slowly but surely becoming a 10/10. Deserves several viewings to forget the (very few) weaknesses (mainly: the girl in the office and most of her lines), but it brings me everything a film can bring: emotion, sensation, adventure, dream, intelligence and it changes me. It probably sounds a little excessive, but the thematic of the movie (generations, what to do with your life, being good at what you do and especially entrepreneurs) connects with me on a very deep level. The personal drama, not so much, but it connects with many other viewers.

www.ThibautOskian.com
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14083 on: October 15, 2014, 08:21:39 AM »

But anyway, what the hell is so exciting about yellow?

Mainly its greatness.

Why the hell does he do that?

It fits the mood, the idea and the emotion he's trying to pass. It's just another choice. Why did he cast Ben Affleck?

If he needed a different color to distinguish flashbacks from present-day, fine.

That's what happens in Dragon Tattoo. I think this kind of use is now cliché.

But he uses the same color for flashbacks and present day scenes. Lotsa yellow and some blue as well. Wtf??

Can you name a big budget american film shot in the last decade that has natural colors?

To me it's like, black and white is another whole world; color sometimes is manipulated appropriately, e.g. If taking place way in the past, to evoke old photographs; or, as I said, to distinguish flashbacks, or different settings like in TRAFFIC, or the future in sci-fil.

Once again, it's been overused and is a little to simplistic for my taste (although I would never hesitate to use it if I think it would help the viewer).

But a straight-up realistic story taking place in the present, I am really not a big fan of what I consider to be unwwarranted color manipulation.

What's the big deal about color manipulation? Every single pixel of the image is manipulated. The sets, costumes, make up, actors and frames are manipulated. The lines are manipulated. The sound is manipulated. The music is manipulated. Colors are just another element to tell the story, the mood, or just look pretty. Why don't you question the completely unrealistic use of sound in 99% of the movies (especially the good ones)? It just sounds better.

Anyway, did you like the movie?

Yep.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 08:23:56 AM by noodles_leone » Logged

www.ThibautOskian.com
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #14084 on: October 15, 2014, 08:40:18 AM »

It's a 9/10 to me, and slowly but surely becoming a 10/10. Deserves several viewings to forget the (very few) weaknesses (mainly: the girl in the office and most of her lines), but it brings me everything a film can bring: emotion, sensation, adventure, dream, intelligence and it changes me. It probably sounds a little excessive, but the thematic of the movie (generations, what to do with your life, being good at what you do and especially entrepreneurs) connects with me on a very deep level. The personal drama, not so much, but it connects with many other viewers.

It could just as well have been a made for TV film, 
but the thematic of the movie (generations, what to do with your life, being good at what you do and especially entrepreneurs) connects with me on a very deep level
but that is not cinematic enough for me, why see that on a big screen, its what I expect from TV

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Pages: 1 ... 937 938 [939] 940 941 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM