Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2017, 02:07:36 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 939 940 [941] 942 943 ... 1169 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1831623 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #14100 on: October 17, 2014, 08:40:11 AM »

... but this sounds like cliche-ridden shit.
That was the line I was looking for.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14101 on: October 17, 2014, 09:09:20 AM »

Gravity, a few days ago.  Over-rated.  Space/antigravity effects were good, have no idea how they do those.

My advice: see it first on a big screen in 3D with great sound or never watch it (it's still ok on a regular TV, but you won't even begin to understand the hype).

About the effects: 99% of what you see is CGI. When they're in space, only the faces are real, most of the time. But they did an amazing work with lights on the set so that the faces are perfectly integrated in the CGI shots.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 09:11:08 AM by noodles_leone » Logged

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #14102 on: October 17, 2014, 09:44:13 AM »

My advice...

We're up for a great start here.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14103 on: October 17, 2014, 09:48:14 AM »

We're up for a great start here.

You cannot even imagine.

www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14104 on: October 17, 2014, 10:04:30 AM »

see it first on a big screen in 3D with great sound or never watch it light yourself on fire
Absolutely. And make it IMAX.

Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #14105 on: October 17, 2014, 01:32:22 PM »

Fury (2014) - 4/10. Very disappointing.

Its strange because I think in all of David Ayer's films that there is potential but he just doesn't have the means of reaching it. He might just be better off writing the films and have someone else direct it. I enjoyed Harsh Times though.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14106 on: October 17, 2014, 04:52:08 PM »

Theatre of Blood - 7/10 - Vincent Price is great fun as a Shakespearean actor seeking revenge on various critics. Price has a hammy ball mixing the Bard and bloodshed, and 90% of Britain's film industry, circa 1973 drops by for a cameo. The movie's never creepy as it could be though, thanks to the director's lackluster staging; it's more comedy than horror-comedy.

Saturday nights with Groggy
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #14107 on: October 18, 2014, 04:49:43 AM »

Magician: The Astonishing Life and Work of Orson Welles (2014) 10/10 dir. Chuck Workman. How great it was seeing clips of all of Welles work, unfinished projects also, on a big screen, included interviews.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 05:40:48 AM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14108 on: October 18, 2014, 06:34:29 AM »

Theatre of Blood - 7/10 - Vincent Price is great fun as a Shakespearean actor seeking revenge on various critics. Price has a hammy ball mixing the Bard and bloodshed, and 90% of Britain's film industry, circa 1973 drops by for a cameo.
Shouldn't that be: "90% of Britain's film industry, circa 1973 drops by for a cameo . . . and a dismemberment"?

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14109 on: October 18, 2014, 06:57:10 AM »

Its strange because I think in all of David Ayer's films that there is potential but he just doesn't have the means of reaching it. He might just be better off writing the films and have someone else direct it. I enjoyed Harsh Times though.
Maybe, but Fury's greatest failing is the writing. The script calls for the tank crew in the final third of the film to do something so tactically idiotic that it ensures that most members won't make it through the battle alive. And these are men who supposedly have been together since Africa. They are an experienced tank crew. And then they do something that violates one of mechanized armor's first axioms. It's obvious why Ayer has them do that--because it's cool. But it's not something real soldiers would do/would have done. And if you commit to a story about a tank crew in the last weeks of WWII yet don't bother with realism, I kinda have to wonder what the point of it all is.

Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #14110 on: October 18, 2014, 11:19:43 AM »

Maybe, but Fury's greatest failing is the writing. The script calls for the tank crew in the final third of the film to do something so tactically idiotic that it ensures that most members won't make it through the battle alive. And these are men who supposedly have been together since Africa. They are an experienced tank crew. And then they do something that violates one of mechanized armor's first axioms. It's obvious why Ayer has them do that--because it's cool. But it's not something real soldiers would do/would have done. And if you commit to a story about a tank crew in the last weeks of WWII yet don't bother with realism, I kinda have to wonder what the point of it all is.

I see. Well, I guess concept of dudes in a tank called Fury seems cooler than whats presented in the movie. The first poster of the movie reminded me of Roy Scheider's character driving that beat up truck that had Sorcerer on the side (or was it the hood?).

« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 11:26:07 AM by Kurug3n » Logged
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #14111 on: October 19, 2014, 01:50:48 PM »

The Raid (1954) Director: Hugo Fregonese, Stars: Van Heflin, Anne Bancroft, Richard Boone, Lee Marvin, Peter Graves,  James Best   , and more. Confederate prisoners escape to Canada and plan to rob the banks and set fire to the small town of Saint Albans in Vermont, a Civil War film that feels like a Western. Entertaining 7/10   

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #14112 on: October 19, 2014, 02:28:11 PM »

People on Sunday (1930) - 9/10
Four young Berliners spend the Sunday on the beach and in the forest having fun and screwing around. Done on real locations with amateur actors and rather free style camera work. All this 25 years before the nouvelle vague. Surprisingly, directed by Robert (and Kurt) Siodmak. Not so surprisingly, written by Billy Wilder.

And don't forget Edgar G. Ulmer, Fred Zinnemann, Seymour Nebenzal, and Eugen Schüfftan, among others. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0020163/fullcredits?ref_=tt_ov_st_sm . It's pretty incredible how many stars of German cinema got their start on the crew of this movie; within a few years, of course, all of the above – all Jewish – had to flee Germany. Moritz Seeler never made it out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moriz_Seeler

« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 03:10:24 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14113 on: October 19, 2014, 05:06:08 PM »

The Rover - 7/10
I rented it because of DJ. It was good although the pace needs to be fixed. I love a slow pace from time to time (we're on the Leone boards, right?) but there is a difference between slow and neurasthenic. The casting is excellent, Pearce never looked more Eastwoodish (now that's a guy who's aging pretty well) and Pattison gives his best performance. Great set design and costumes, uninventive but very nice photography. What hurts the film is that difficult combo: ultra-simple plot, ultra-slow pacing without any contrast, cool but too "regular" visuals. Still a very good find. This Man with no name who will do anything to get his car back is going to haunt me for a while.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 01:16:57 AM by noodles_leone » Logged

www.ThibautOskian.com
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14114 on: October 19, 2014, 06:38:21 PM »

If... - 8/10 - Lindsay Anderson's warped, serial tale of student rebellion is a brilliant exercise in bad taste. Can't really imagine a movie today cheering as students machine gun their teachers to death. Malcolm McDowell is brilliant and Anderson's direction wonderfully oddball.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Pages: 1 ... 939 940 [941] 942 943 ... 1169 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM