Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2017, 11:05:34 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 940 941 [942] 943 944 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1763676 times)
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14115 on: October 19, 2014, 06:38:21 PM »

If... - 8/10 - Lindsay Anderson's warped, serial tale of student rebellion is a brilliant exercise in bad taste. Can't really imagine a movie today cheering as students machine gun their teachers to death. Malcolm McDowell is brilliant and Anderson's direction wonderfully oddball.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #14116 on: October 19, 2014, 11:37:26 PM »

Fury - 4/5

I enjoyed what I saw. Really really enjoyed it.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #14117 on: October 20, 2014, 06:01:03 AM »

Cold in July (2014) - 5/10. During a home invasion, the nervous homeowner (Michael C. Hall) takes out the invader (Some Guy) and the invader turns out not to have been armed. No problem, the cops say, this is Texas. Besides, the guy was a wanted felon: nothing to worry about, we got your statement, go back to bed. Oh, by the way, his dad is also a felon, he just got out of prison, maybe you want to put some bars on your windows? Then the dad (Sam Shephard) shows up, and it looks like we're in for some serious Cape Fear style fun. But suddenly there's a twist, and the twist is kinda OK and makes the film interesting for about five minutes, but then things settle down to a rather pedestrian story (and enter John Donson er, Don Johnson) much less interesting than the one we started out with. The film is set in 1989, and this allows Hall to wear a mullet. Also, it keeps cell phones out of the mix, and puts VHS tapes in (which play a part in the plot). The weird thing is, as I was watching it, it seemed like the film was not only set in '89, it was shot then too. Boring camera set ups, a lame synthesizer score . . . WTF? I was watching it on Blu (natch), and there was a Q&A with the filmmakers on the disc, so I went to that and the director (Jim Mickle) was crowing about how clever he'd been to go for an Old School, pre-Tarantino approach to making his film. Dude, those 80's crime films sucked, why would you want to return to any of that . . . ? Yet another indy-why-do-they-bother? production.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14118 on: October 20, 2014, 06:11:27 AM »

The Rover - 7/10
What hurts the film is that difficult combo: ultra-simple plot, ultra-slow pacing without any contrast, cool but too "regular" visuals.
Fair enough, but you neglect to mention the better-than-average score. You're not coming down with Groggy's Disease, are you? Just as a battlefield obstacle isn't an obstacle without overwatching fire (I can't get out of Fury mode), slow pacing and regular visuals aren't palatable unless they're supported by music. For me, the "regular" visuals seemed cool because my ears were being tickled. It's a great audio-visual mix. Dude, learn something about filmmaking whydoncha?

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #14119 on: October 20, 2014, 06:33:51 AM »

Brief Encounter (1945) - 8/10

Psychologically very honest and daring, perfect casting and acting, directed with some glitches of the time that I pardon.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14120 on: October 21, 2014, 05:43:39 AM »

Gone Baby Gone (2007) - 8/10. Nice Boston locations and adequate photography from John Toll (but all the night scenes are BS). The plot really had me guessing, so either Ben Affleck is a genius or it really, really helps to start with a Dennis Lehane story. I guess I'm gonna have to finally break down and see Mystic River after all.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #14121 on: October 21, 2014, 06:03:52 AM »

I guess I'm gonna have to finally break down and see Mystic River after all.

You've never seen Mystic River? What are you waiting for???

I know you didn't like my previous recommendations of Grand Slam and Le Maudits/The Damned, but if you don't like Mystic River, then I'll never suggest another movie for you, cuz that'll mean you and I have zero in common in regard to movie tastes.

Eli Wallach had a good story in his book about his cameo in Mystic River: When filming the cameo, Eastwood assured him that the scene would stay in, cuz it was an important scene. On the day the movie was released, Wallach went to a theater on Broadway to see his scene. He's waiting and waiting and waiting, and it's not coming on. He's wondering if his scene stayed in. Eventually, after quite a while, his scene comes on. There's a lady sitting next to him in the theater, and she turns to him, looks back at the screen, turns back to him, and says, "Is that you?" He says, "Yes, but shhhh, I'm trying to watch the scene!" Then his scene ended and he walked out  Wink

Anyway, the moral of the story is, don't wait around for Eli's cameo, it doesn't come too early in the movie.

But for God's sake, watch this movie. And then you can thank me.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14122 on: October 21, 2014, 06:22:07 AM »

If you think Gone Baby Gone is a 8/10, then you'll have to rate Mystic River 80/10.

I like Ben Affleck as a person. I think he's cool. I really don't like him as an actor. His directorial efforts are better but still mediocre and boring.
Dennis Lehane is a great writer.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 06:38:47 AM by noodles_leone » Logged

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #14123 on: October 21, 2014, 07:11:41 AM »

If you think Gone Baby Gone is a 8/10, then you'll have to rate Mystic River 80/10.

+ 1

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14124 on: October 21, 2014, 08:06:09 AM »

I've never seen Gone Baby Gone (it is in my queue) but you can still rate Mystic River an 80/10  Wink

I think Affleck is a good actor, I think he was very good in Argo, which IMO is a 10/10 movie. I think it deserved the Best Picture Oscar that it won. Of the 8 other movies nominated for Best Picture that year, I saw 5 (Amour, Zero Dark Thirty, Life of Pi, Lincoln, Django Unchained; the three I did not see are Silver Linings Playbook, Beasts of the Southern Wild, and Les Miserables.) Among the 6 nominees I did see in fact, from all the 2012 movies I saw Argo was definitely #1. It doesn't have a distinct 'auteur' style, not like you can take one look at the movie and say, "That's a Ben Affleck movie!" but IMO that is not a drawback.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14125 on: October 21, 2014, 08:31:26 AM »

The drawback is Argo has nothing going for it. Nothing that bad either. It's a 5/10 to me.
As long as we agree on Mystic River I'm happy Smiley

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14126 on: October 21, 2014, 08:56:21 AM »

The drawback is Argo has nothing going for it. Nothing that bad either. It's a 5/10 to me.
As long as we agree on Mystic River I'm happy Smiley

We agree on The Bridges of Madison County, too. And that's another movie DJ hasn't seen.  Wink

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14127 on: October 21, 2014, 09:53:17 AM »

You've never seen Mystic River? What are you waiting for???
Yeah, yeah, OK, Blu-ray ordered. I was planning to get around to it.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14128 on: October 21, 2014, 10:12:13 AM »

The drawback is Argo has nothing going for it. Nothing that bad either.
Uh, Alan Arkin? John Goodman? Together again for the first time? And funny?HuhHuh

I'm starting to think you've contracted both Groggy's Disease AND Hyper titoli-itis!

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14129 on: October 21, 2014, 10:23:08 AM »

DJ, what did you rate Argo?

Pages: 1 ... 940 941 [942] 943 944 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM