Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2017, 04:28:06 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 941 942 [943] 944 945 ... 1166 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1800532 times)
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14130 on: October 21, 2014, 11:30:14 AM »

Uh, Alan Arkin? John Goodman? Together again for the first time? And funny?HuhHuh

I'm starting to think you've contracted both Groggy's Disease AND Hyper titoli-itis!

Those great actors had mediocre lines that were poorly put together. They were also badly shot and terribly edited. Hence average scenes.
Argo is typically a film I should have loved. It must have been some hard work to change it into something I'll never watch again.

I still have a long road before I contract hyper titoli-itis, I don't think Mr Tit and I have ever agreed on a non-Leone film. But I'm on it.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 11:34:09 AM by noodles_leone » Logged

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #14131 on: October 21, 2014, 11:46:02 AM »

Yeah, yeah, OK, Blu-ray ordered. I was planning to get around to it.

while you're at it, you should see The Bridges of Madison County. If you won't trust me, trust n_l. I think he loves it even more than I do.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14132 on: October 21, 2014, 03:21:14 PM »

I prefer Gone Baby Gone (8/10) to Mystic River (7/10).

The biggest flaw of GBG was the foreseeable ending, and that Affleck wants this ending coming as a surprise. Which it ain't for everyone who has watched more than 3 crime films (or read one Agatha Christie novel)

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14133 on: October 21, 2014, 04:46:49 PM »

I'm starting to think you've contracted both Groggy's Disease AND Hyper titoli-itis!

I gave Argo an 8/10. What the fuck are you talking about?

Saturday nights with Groggy
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #14134 on: October 21, 2014, 11:51:00 PM »

The Search (1948) 6/10

This was just re-made with Berenice Bejo and Annette Bening, location moved from post-WWII-Germany to today's war-torn Chechnya http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2177827/?ref_=nv_sr_2

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14135 on: October 22, 2014, 02:20:24 AM »

I prefer Gone Baby Gone (8/10) to Mystic River (7/10).

I gave Argo an 8/10. What the fuck are you talking about?

I think Affleck is a good actor, I think he was very good in Argo, which IMO is a 10/10 movie.

I'm pretty sure there is something people like in Ben Affleck movies that's I'm completely blind to. I sincerely have no idea how these movies can be considered as above the 5-6/10 range.

Anyway, I watched something much better the other day thanks to Netflix being AT LAST available in France:

10,000 - 1/10
Now that's some shitty movie. The story, the acting and the dialogues were horrendous, but I knew that. CGI were terrible too, which was a surprise. Well at least there is something surprising in this Z-movies cliché and historical non-sense ridden mess, so that's a good thing after all I guess.
Also, watching all these known faces poorly disguised as cavemen-for-fashion-magazines was a painful experience I'll never talk about.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 02:23:45 AM by noodles_leone » Logged

www.ThibautOskian.com
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14136 on: October 22, 2014, 02:33:42 AM »

I haven't watched Argo yet (the story looks boring), but Affleck's other films are very well directed and generally well made, and he is good in creating strong and believable characters. Good premises for good genre films.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14137 on: October 22, 2014, 03:36:13 AM »

Ibut Affleck's other films are very well directed

Well photographed with a nice 1970's mood. But poorly directed.

and generally well made,

I don't think so. It's more european than american, in a bad way.

and he is good in creating strong and believable characters.

That's the main flaw of Gone Baby Gone to me: he changed the believable (and cool) characters from the novel into teenagers that have nothing to do here.

www.ThibautOskian.com
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14138 on: October 22, 2014, 05:48:22 AM »

Then you are one of the few who think that low about Affleck's directing qualities.

I think he's a far better director than Eastwood, whose films I often like, but not so much for their style.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 05:50:02 AM by stanton » Logged

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14139 on: October 22, 2014, 06:09:18 AM »

Eastwood really builds on the script. This is why the quality of his films is very dependent to the quality of his scripts. I don't mean that he brings nothing to the table, because when a script is good, the film is better than the script. Mystic River has a very good script, it's a great film.
Since Tom Stern is his DP, he uses the exact same lights on any film, which is "ok" because I like de-saturated clair-obscure, but it's becoming repetitive.

I know I'm alone about Ben Affleck. I don't mind about him being overrated because once again he's a great guy and has been far more criticized than he deserved in the past: no he isn't a good actor, but neither are Orlando Bloom, Dwayne Johnson and many other stars, and at least HE works hard and has a brain (he co-wrote Good Will Hunting). Also, unlike Nolan, he doesn't do bad films so that's ok.
I may be blind to some real qualities of his work though.

Still, I don't know what is in Gone Baby Gone and isn't at least twice as good in Mystic River. Casting music photography style atmosphere dialogues themes, damn, even the source material is way better in the Eastwood movie. Also, only one of the 2 films is boring (hint: it's not the one with the greatest trailer ever: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmiA24jwlbM) and only one stays with you for days, Llewin Davis style, after you've watched it. Both films share one flaw though: a somewhat predictable ending. But there again, Mystic River turns it into an advantage because the film is built as a tragedy and NOT like a detective movie. Unlike the boring film (hint: the one directed by Batman).
Last, are you sure that rating a film that features a The Ugly vs Morpheus scene under 9/10 is legal?

« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 06:17:07 AM by noodles_leone » Logged

www.ThibautOskian.com
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14140 on: October 22, 2014, 06:16:48 AM »

Actually I don't remember anything concrete from Mystic River. Sean Penn was in it (wasn't he?) and I have some vague images in my mind. I only remember that I did not care that much for it, that it was less than expected, but surely not a bad film. On the other hand I couldn't tell you know what the story of GBG was. But then I mostly don't care for stories anyway.

Hmm ... Morpheus?

« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 06:18:41 AM by stanton » Logged

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14141 on: October 22, 2014, 06:20:04 AM »

Actually I don't remember anything concrete from Mystic River. Sean Penn was in it (wasn't he?) and I have some vague images in my mind. I only remember that I did not care that much for it, that it was less than expected, but surely not a bad film. On the other hand I couldn't tell you know what the story of GBG was. But then I mostly don't care for stories anyway.

You should give MR another shot. Sean Penn is great in it. Some said he was doing a little too much, I think it fits the film (Eastwood isn't a big subtlety fan anyway). It's also the Eastwood film that features the best camerawork.

www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #14142 on: October 22, 2014, 06:21:03 AM »

That's the main flaw of Gone Baby Gone to me: he changed the believable (and cool) characters from the novel into teenagers that have nothing to do here.
Huh? There are no teenagers in the movie.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14143 on: October 22, 2014, 06:21:16 AM »

Hmm ... Morpheus?

Check out the trailer I linked. Fishburne is in the first shots.

www.ThibautOskian.com
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14144 on: October 22, 2014, 06:22:49 AM »

Huh? There are no teenagers in the movie.

I was overstating a bit. Casey Affleck and the girl are like 25 to 30 in the film. In the novel the protagonists are over 40, which suddenly turns them into believable and interesting characters.
This is like remaking Casablanca and say "cool but let's say Bogart is 25, it will totally work."

« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 06:25:51 AM by noodles_leone » Logged

www.ThibautOskian.com
Pages: 1 ... 941 942 [943] 944 945 ... 1166 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM