Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 14, 2017, 10:15:05 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 947 948 [949] 950 951 ... 1170 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1836306 times)
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14220 on: October 29, 2014, 02:31:58 AM »

Oh come on Stanton, they even published a book apparently containing nothing but his sardonic one-liners:

http://www.amazon.com/Roger-Sterling/e/B005TKY336/ref=dp_byline_cont_book_1

Ha ha ok. But for me he is of course one of the reasons why MM is so great, but only one amongst 2 dozens.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #14221 on: October 29, 2014, 06:47:11 AM »

Fedora (1978) - 4/10. 1080p. This bad Billy Wilder film is now available in a very good Blu-ray transfer. The reason the film is so bad is that it has an incredible flaw: the first half of the film presents matters one way, then in the second half reveals that our understanding about the first half was wrong. Not once, but twenty times. The explanation goes on and on and on. Still, there are pleasures: Bill Holden, Marthe Keller, Jose Ferrer (with an earring!). Bit parts are done by old friends: Mario Adorf (!) as a Greek hotel manager; Gottried John (!!) as a chauffeur with a punch; Stephen Collins (!!!) as the young Holden (!!!!); Henry Fonda as the President of the Academy; and Michael York "as himself." There are two fag jokes (three if you count Michael York).

« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 06:48:13 AM by dave jenkins » Logged

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14222 on: October 29, 2014, 04:59:04 PM »

Man, I'm falling behind.

Carrie - 8/10 - Entertaining.

Carrie (2013) - 3/10 - Wretched.

The Birds - 8/10 - Rewatch.

Ministry of Fear - 8/10 - Stylish.

Saturday nights with Groggy
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14223 on: October 29, 2014, 11:19:33 PM »

The Strangers - 3/10
Some shitty jump-scare movie that for some reason college girls think is scary and 'deep' lol.

Boyhood - 10/10
Second viewing. It's probably a bit short of a true 10, but I'll round up just for kicks. The flaws are still there (two alcoholic step dads, the photographer cliche) but the rest of the movie is just so fucking perfect.

A History of Violence - 8/10
Really really good movie. Liked it a lot.

The King of Comedy - 9/10
Gets better with age. One of Scorsese's best and most unique movies.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #14224 on: October 30, 2014, 03:04:11 AM »

A History of Violence - 8/10
Really really good movie. Liked it a lot.

I saw this once (like 5 years ago, on a laptop) and didn't like it all that much. I LOVED Eastern Promises.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14225 on: October 30, 2014, 06:49:14 AM »

Boyhood - 10/10
Second viewing. It's probably a bit short of a true 10, but I'll round up just for kicks. The flaws are still there (two alcoholic step dads, the photographer cliche) but the rest of the movie is just so fucking perfect.
You forgot one of the flaws: the kid only ever has teenage models for girlfriends. Yeah, just like in real life.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #14226 on: October 30, 2014, 10:56:10 AM »

L'ours (1988) - 6.5 to 7/10

I'm usually a complete sucker for this type of movies yet this movie didn't suck me in. It must have been very hard to film some of the scenes with the animals. Still, something seems missing.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14227 on: October 30, 2014, 01:11:33 PM »

I think it aged. Or I aged. Probably both.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14228 on: October 31, 2014, 06:43:42 AM »

Nightcrawler (2014) - 10/10. If Travis Bickle and Network's Diana Christensen conceived a child, that rough beast, slouching toward Hollywood to be born, would be Lou Bloom (Jake Gyllenhaal), the amoral hero of Nightcrawler. Lou, when we first meet him, makes his living selling copper wire, pieces of chain-link fence, and manhole covers. One night on the highway, however, he comes on the scene of a terrible accident and witnesses first-hand two stringers for local news videoing the carnage. Suddenly Lou has a new industry to crash. The barriers to entry, though, are high; but Lou, for his part, is indomitable: he has the talent, the drive, the ruthlessness to succeed. With some mentoring by a TV station producer (Rene Russo), he is soon beating out his chief competitor (Bill Paxton). And when a crime/accident scene doesn't have all the cinematic values it should, Lou does not scruple to re-stage it. Things escalate nicely from there. This is one of those rare films that begins strong, then just keeps getting better and better. Darkly funny, this is a contender for American film of the year.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14229 on: October 31, 2014, 09:34:28 AM »

Nightcrawler (2014) - 10/10. If Travis Bickle and Network's Diana Christensen conceived a child, that rough beast, slouching toward Hollywood to be born, would be Lou Bloom (Jake Gyllenhaal), the amoral hero of Nightcrawler. Lou, when we first meet him, makes his living selling copper wire, pieces of chain-link fence, and manhole covers. One night on the highway, however, he comes on the scene of a terrible accident and witnesses first-hand two stringers for local news videoing the carnage. Suddenly Lou has a new industry to crash. The barriers to entry, though, are high; but Lou, for his part, is indomitable: he has the talent, the drive, the ruthlessness to succeed. With some mentoring by a TV station producer (Rene Russo), he is soon beating out his chief competitor (Bill Paxton). And when a crime/accident scene doesn't have all the cinematic values it should, Lou does not scruple to re-stage it. Things escalate nicely from there. This is one of those rare films that begins strong, then just keeps getting better and better. Darkly funny, this is a contender for American film of the year.

Good news! I'm expecting a lot from this one.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14230 on: October 31, 2014, 09:52:42 AM »

You're gonna love it: the lead character is a psycho who loves composing nothing but money shots. Nothing deters him. He is a lion on a savannah populated by jackals.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14231 on: October 31, 2014, 10:59:17 AM »

You forgot one of the flaws: the kid only ever has teenage models for girlfriends. Yeah, just like in real life.
But, on the positive side, us as viewers get to appreciate teenage model girlfriends. (if they're not 18 I take that back...but I imagine they're all at least around 25)

A Scanner Darkly - 7/10
Could be higher on a repeat viewing, really fascinating sci-fi noir drug drama adaptation but it's easy to get lost in the plot. I personally really don't like the rotoscope animation, and think that it's more distracting to the storytelling than stylistic but it's a huuuge fucking step up from Waking Life (at least in narrative). Linklater is one of the most talented and interesting filmmakers around, it's a shame he doesn't get more recognized.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 11:00:27 AM by PowerRR » Logged
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14232 on: October 31, 2014, 11:01:07 AM »

A Scanner Darkly - 7/10
Could be higher on a repeat viewing, really fascinating sci-fi noir drug drama adaptation but it's easy to get lost in the plot.
Only if you're a cretin.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #14233 on: November 01, 2014, 08:05:20 AM »

La grande bellezza (The Great Beauty) (2013) great quasi nostalgic film reminds one of the great Italian films of the 50s 9/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14234 on: November 01, 2014, 10:10:17 AM »

La grande bellezza (The Great Beauty) (2013) great quasi nostalgic film reminds one of the great Italian films of the 50s 9/10
I liked it too. Apparently, though, it's not Roman enough to suit titoli.

Pages: 1 ... 947 948 [949] 950 951 ... 1170 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM