Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2017, 08:37:43 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 948 949 [950] 951 952 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1764326 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #14235 on: November 01, 2014, 10:10:17 AM »

La grande bellezza (The Great Beauty) (2013) great quasi nostalgic film reminds one of the great Italian films of the 50s 9/10
I liked it too. Apparently, though, it's not Roman enough to suit titoli.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #14236 on: November 01, 2014, 09:10:55 PM »

Bridge to the Sun (1961) 7/10 (TCM)

with Carroll Baker and James Shigeta

Baker plays Gwen Teraski (a real-life woman; the movie was based on her autobiography of the same title) an American girl, Shigeta a diplomat in the Japanese Embassy in Washington; they meet in Washington and get married shortly before World War II. When war breaks out and all Japanese diplomats have to leave, she decides to go to Japan with him. Obviously, they run into problems in Japan, with him being married to an American woman at the time of war. Also, he is of a pro-peace faction, secretly working to try to broker peace between the two countries, so he is hounded by the intelligence apparatus that is suspicious of anyone who advocates for peace.

I enjoyed this movie, particularly Shigeta, who delivers a very good performance. (Years later, he had a brief role in Die Hard - he plays Mr. Takagi, the boss of Bruce Willis's wife who gets killed early in the movie by the terrorists). Caroll Baker is not so good. Baker is kind of hit and miss for me. I thought she was fabulous in some movies (particularly Cheyenne Autumn) and just not that good in others. Toward the end, the movie just isn't as enjoyable as it was in the beginning, but overall this was a decent watch.

Catch it the next time it is on TCM.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14237 on: November 02, 2014, 01:49:17 AM »

Le Femme Infidele/The Unfaithful Wife (1969) 7.5/10

Just saw this on a really bad DVD (rented from Netflix), the DVD company is called Pathfinder Home Entertainment," the image is kinda fuzzy.
Stephane Audran is gorgeous.
I'm not very familiar with Claude Chabrol's films; this is only the second one I've seen (the other is Le Beau Serge, which I did not like very much). I know Chabrol was quite a prolific director – with about 50 features to his credit, according to IMDB – but if anyone wants to recommend some of his movies, I'll give them a try. Merci beaucop  Smiley

« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 04:20:20 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14238 on: November 02, 2014, 03:21:54 AM »

Le Femme Infidele/The Unfaithful Wife (1969) 7.5/10

Just saw this on a really bad DVD (rented from Netflix), the DVD company is called Pathfinder Home Entertainment," the image is kinda fuzzy.
Stephane Audran is gorgeous.
I'm not very familiar with Claude Chabrol's films; this is only the second one I've seen (the other is Le Beau Serge, which I did not like very much). I know Chabrol was quite a prolific director – with about 50 features to his credit, according to IMDB – but if anyone wants to recommend some of his movies, I'll give them a try. Merci beaucop  Smiley

This one was shot in the little town where my parents live. When I go see them I often have a walk and see the house.
I haven't seen many of Chabrol's films, he's one of those filmmakers who are more famous for the body of their work rather than for particular films. Still, I highly recommend:

Que la Bête meurt
Le Boucher

Less good but still the kind of cinema we don't see much these days: La Cérémonie

Also, you should avoid most of his recent work. His 2000's films have their moments but they're mostly not watchable.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14239 on: November 02, 2014, 04:22:37 AM »

Wait Until Dark (1967) 7.5/10

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14240 on: November 02, 2014, 04:31:37 AM »

Also, you should avoid most of his recent work. His 2000's films have their moments but they're mostly not watchable.

I strongly disagree. They were all fine films, some of them belong to his best. Especially La fleur du mal and La Fille coupée en deux are very good.

But Le boucher is probably indeed his best film. But when Drink thinks that La femme infidele is only a 7,5 (nearly crap), he better stays away from Chabrol.

Chabrol has made many weaker films, he even had some periods in which he made more or less forgettable films. But he always came back, and he created a strong body of classic films over a time span of 50 years.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14241 on: November 02, 2014, 05:02:18 AM »

I strongly disagree. They were all fine films, some of them belong to his best. Especially La fleur du mal and La Fille coupée en deux are very good.

I have only seen extracts from La Fleur Du Mal and really didn't like what I saw. But let me rephrase: his latest films sometimes achieve the same quality as before but they're technically terrible (cinematography, dialogues, most of the acting, editing, lighting...). That makes them not watchable for me, but many people aren't as bothered as I am by this stuff as long as the ideas/plot/characters work for them. I think Chabrol was just old and tired, focusing on the main ideas and moving forward.
I agree about his strong and weak periods. He worked very fast and as a filmmaker he cannot be judged film by film but rather for his whole body of work. In France he's considered as the go-to guy when you're looking for films about the non-parisian bourgeoisie. Although his latest films weren't as highly anticipated as some of his previous ones, his death was a national event.

www.ThibautOskian.com
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14242 on: November 02, 2014, 05:15:50 AM »

I have only seen extracts from La Fleur Du Mal and really didn't like what I saw. But let me rephrase: his latest films sometimes achieve the same quality as before but they're technically terrible (cinematography, dialogues, most of the acting, editing, lighting...). That makes them not watchable for me, but many people aren't as bothered as I am by this stuff as long as the ideas/plot/characters work for them.

Then I'm glad I don't see all these things you see. Well, the acting is very good in all of his later films, dialogues also, and I did not find anything wrong with the editing or the camera stuff. They were all well received here in Germany, and me and my friends enjoyed them all in the theatre.

For a director in the retiree age who had already said everything he had to say the all look staggeringly fresh. I'm generally not to eager to watch films of directors past their prime. And haven't seen much of the later films of Godard, Resnais or Rivette. Even if their films were not all dead.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14243 on: November 02, 2014, 07:49:06 AM »

Well, the acting is very good in all of his later films,

Some of the main actors are great (Isabelle Huppert...), but most of the supporting cast (and some of the main cast too) are made-for-TV garbage level

dialogues also,

I don't like flat dialogue that has been written in 5 minutes:
The screenwriter: "Now she has to say she's unhappy."
In the script: "I am unhappy."
The fact that the character is unhappy may be great and meaningful, this way of expressing it is the opposite of what I like about cinema. Of course I'm caricaturing here but not that much (I haven't seen all of them though).

and I did not find anything wrong with the editing or the camera stuff.

There is no mise en scene, nothing is thought. It's just 70's made-for-TV techniques. Master, close-up. Nothing wrong with it, no huge "mistake" or anything (although some shots should have been re-shot), it's just not real filmmaking to me.

Once again, those films are far from pointless and I'm glad they exist. It's just not watchable for me. I physically cannot stand it for 90 minutes (which is ridiculous, I'll give you that).

www.ThibautOskian.com
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14244 on: November 02, 2014, 09:17:47 AM »

Yes, it is somehow ridiculous.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14245 on: November 02, 2014, 10:32:00 AM »

I haven't seen a lot of Chabrol, but the one I like most is Les bonnes femmes. I don't care much for his thrillers which, I understand, make up the bulk of his work.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14246 on: November 02, 2014, 01:55:46 PM »

Cloak and Dagger - 8/10 - Fritz Lang spy extravaganza with Gary Cooper as a physicist rescuing nuclear scientists from the Nazis. Generally dismissed as one of Lang's weaker pictures, I found it stylish, extremely entertaining and with some smart (if dated) things to say about atomic warfare.

Hangmen Also Die! - 9/10 - 3rd viewing. Definitely a picture I enjoy more with rewatches. The downbeat original ending was recently restored, and seeing it was an unexpected (and enjoyable) surprise.

Saturday nights with Groggy
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14247 on: November 02, 2014, 03:28:54 PM »

Yes, it is somehow ridiculous.

But it is also quite professional and a good way of life: don't waste time with stuff that  have been made in 5 minutes.

www.ThibautOskian.com
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14248 on: November 02, 2014, 03:30:04 PM »

But when Drink thinks that La femme infidele is only a 7,5 (nearly crap), he better stays away from Chabrol.

7.5/10 is not "nearly crap." If I rate a movie 7.5/10, I think it's a good movie.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 03:32:03 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14249 on: November 02, 2014, 04:28:30 PM »

Hangmen Also Die! - 9/10 - 3rd viewing. Definitely a picture I enjoy more with rewatches. The downbeat original ending was recently restored, and seeing it was an unexpected (and enjoyable) surprise.
Holy Lamebrain, I just remembered there's a Blu of this . . . and I don't have it! C'mon Jenkins, get with the pogrom program!

Pages: 1 ... 948 949 [950] 951 952 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM